Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My sister has Osteoporosis
Date: October 20, 2007 06:53PM

5 years ago, my sister was told she has osteoporosis. She has been a vegan for 25 years. But not raw. The doctor told her she has to stop eating like a vegan in order for her bones to get strong. She didn’t listen to the doctor, went on eating another year vegan. Than she was in severe pain and had a catscan done. She lost a lot of bone and she was unable to exercise and due to her pain, her husband cheated and left her after 12 years marriage.

So the doctor told her if she doesn’t start eating meat and dairy she will have serious damage to her body. So she now eats a SAD and is in great conditon. She jogs in the morning, lost so much weight and she is happier than she has been in many many years!

Now I’ve read so much books on raw, started 4 months ago at 80% and now I’m 100% raw for 2 months. I love it, the food and the way I feel.

My family are really frantic now. They say what happened to my sister will happen to me. But when I read more on Osteoporosis it mentioned that woman that never gave birth can get Osteoporosis. My sister is 42 years old now and never had children.

I can’t imagine how she got Osteoporosis. Being a vegan, active in exercise, was it just because she never had children? Why did the doctor say to improve her health she had to stop being a vegan? and IT DID HELP HER!

So I’m on raw and feel better than I have….. ever! But what happened to my sister is really a mistery to me for she was a vegan!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My sister has Osteoporosis
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 20, 2007 07:05PM

maybe she ate a lot of grains and legumes and the phytic acid inhibited calcium absorption?

interesting article here

[www.4.waisays.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2007 07:09PM by fresh.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 20, 2007 07:40PM

-I think greater than comparing your physical condition to a set of 'empirical' results that occur across all people.....I wonder to people trust themselves.....and the path of their joy. That is, when following the path of ones passionate, motivated dreams......whether it include diet....exercise.......adventuring....playing.......artistic endeavors....job......career.....family...etc.......then what else can you do?

-What I mean is......break it down: If YOU determined that you derived the most joy....most feeling of productivity and service.....most stability/spirituality from eating raw.....then darn it....what difference does it make if you get osteoperosis.....or a friggin meteor in the head? LOL. Are you going to stop moving forward on your path of joy? The side path may contain sugar-friggin lollypop fairies......but it leads nowhere! Heh..heh....

-Anyway, you can't judge a book by it's cover...of course. You might know your sister well....but you don't KNOW her internal dialogue.....her feelings...her goals......and her necessities. Is she following her path of joy? Many people that do...live to be 120 on cigarettes and beef jerky. Many that don't jog 5 miles a day and eat alfalfa sprouts....and keel over dead.

-Just some thoughts - meant in a tender way.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 20, 2007 09:10PM

If she ate a lot of high protein foods like tofu or soy products or even legumes, this could have contributed to the bone loss.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 20, 2007 11:12PM

The new suggested calcium requirement is 9.4 mg/kg/day.

[www.ajcn.org]

That's not a lot.

Course, you have to eat right for it to be enough. And don't forget weight bearing exercise.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 21, 2007 02:53AM

You said she lost weight going from vegan to SAD!?! I always gain weight when I do that.

I've never really heard of raw people getting osteoporosis, raw is more alkaline than vegan and there is more diversity in the diet too. I'm glad that at least she's better!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 21, 2007 05:11AM

deegary im sorry to hear about your sister .. there are other things that can contribute to her problems

chronic stress (likein a bad marriage) can contribute to acidosis or a highly acidic body environment .. this can contribute quite signifigantly to bone loss in a very short time

the fact that she was vegan at the time may *seem* be the reason but its possible that other factorrs were at play as well

this was a good article on what im talking about:

[www.phsciences.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 21, 2007 03:27PM

tropical Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You said she lost weight going from vegan to
> SAD!?! I always gain weight when I do that.
>

I wonder about this too - do you think it may be possible that her vegan diet was high in fats? Maybe something was out of balance.

I hope things work out for your sister, and that she is able to halt this from progressing, no matter what she has to do. It sounds like she is doing a lot better. Hopefully your choices will not lead to the same result - there are many long-term raw foodists enjoying wonderful health, so no reason just yet to jump to any conclusions.

And of course, like Jodi says, there may be more to this than simply dietary choices - lots of things impact our health.

Sapphire

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 21, 2007 06:22PM

I'm a believer in raw organic unhulled (brown) sesame seeds. I eat them almost every day, 1/4 to 1/2 cup, soaked overnight or unsoaked. As far as I know, they're the most concentrated plant-based source of calcium.

I've been doing this for about 18 years, and I have very healthy bones. I'm 57, 100% raw vegan, and close to 100% raw vegan for the past 21 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2007 06:30PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Alkalarian ()
Date: October 22, 2007 04:03AM

Hi Deegarry,

osteoporosis is also a subsequent condition of too many acid wastes stored inside you.

If your internal environment becomes too acidic, the body tries to remain healthy to protect us against heart attacks, strokes or even cancer.

In doing so, it takes calcium from the teeth, bones and tissues, making them weak and brittle.

Regards, Mel

Date: October 22, 2007 03:24PM

Thank you for all your input. I just hear it from my family over and over again that they think the same thing that happened to my sister will happen to me. My sister was a big junk attack with her vegan food. But now she's eating fish, milk, turkey, eggs, beef and chicken to get away from vegan junk food. She looks and says she feels great. But I always think of the begining of time "Eat this fruit and you surely won't die" - Serpent. That sentence makes me think, 'sure you won't die, just not right now but you will suffer when you are old and weak'

Another book convinced me, "eat healthy now so you don't have to be crippled in an old body later"

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 22, 2007 05:18PM

Her fish, milk, turkey, etc. are probably better for her body than her junk vegan food. But what you are eating is better than what she is currently eating, I'm sure! :-)

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 22, 2007 06:55PM

deegary youve identified all the places where your sister went wrong with her diet/lifestyle .. so you should be able to calm the fears of your family

your sister was an overweight vegan who didnt exercise much .. did she rely too much on the vegan lifestyle thinking she could get away from exercising .. alot of people fall into this trap thinking food is big part of it ... i honestly know quite a few unhealthy overweight vegans ... the lack of exercise and poor diet leadds to osteo and she was in a bad relationship which contributes to her overall stress and acidic body condition which leads to osteo

maybe if you can point out to your family where she went wrong they wont worry .. or maybe the will but its your body your choice .. you are the only one you need to convince what is right or wrong for you smiling smiley

these are just my opinions i hope you find what works for you smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 22, 2007 09:57PM

This may be a way you could point out to your family about the importance of eating less or no junk food. It is a fear I have because I am so new to eating raw foods and everybody asks me how I get my calcium. I get so tired of the protien and calcium question I feel like making a flyer to just hand out to people if they are so interested in it. I know iI am more healthier now by eating raw food rather than four months ago when I ate sad food.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables