Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Iron is REALLY low and won't budge...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 29, 2007 10:13PM

Hello to all: I've come across your site only after much research and now I am really confused, Long story as short as possible, I went vegan, quit coffee (my last vice) and 4 months later, no color in my lips. Woke up one morning with my ankles the size of my thighs... was a daily jogger at the time, daily rigorous activity, and thought it was some type of injury from running. My husband said he was scared because he recognized it was a cardiac reaction. He was right. Blood test showed my hemoglobin at 3.8 and my ferritin at 1, yes 1. No oxygen in my blood, no iron stores in my body/bones. Was hospitalized with a blood transfusion for a week. Tests tests tests, no blood leaking anywhere. Normalm regular cycles. 5-6 months later, after prescription iron and lots of other changes (diet), the situation has possibly affected my thyroid (hypo). GASP! I am blending raw greens and veggies, taking my iron, avoiding tannins and phylates (very confusing with the greens/phylates) back on some limited organic beef/fish and eggs. My hemoglobin has continually (4 months) maintained a level of 11-ish. My ferritin however has not come up to above 4. My Hemo doc wants me up to about 20, although I've read 50 is a good number. I'd settle for a 12 at this point. Going for another ferritin test in 4.5 weeks. My holistic doc says it is obviously an absorption issue in my gut. I want to agree because most of the conventional doctors just want to write me more scripts and kick me out the door. My question(s) are, what greens shoud I consume and which to avoid? I am aware of the absorption issue with spiniach, but now parsley? What about the teas? I am only drinking Roobios blends now, with fruit infusions for the vitamin C, but I am so confused. I am someone who takes her health VERY seriously have a family with young kids and so I do so much to keep myself in good health. This all has been a big blow for me. Help and support from anyone is greatly appreciated!

Pepper

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Iron is low...
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 30, 2007 02:03AM

Another thing that many people are deficient in and I don't know if you were tested for this, but Iodine. Iodine can be obtained by swimming in the ocean near large natural kelp beds that float off shore in deeper water. You don't have to swim into the seaweed..just swimming in the waves is excellent on a consistent basis. Or make a home made bath with seaweeds, seavegies, Lugol's Iodine, Epsom Salt, things of that nature.

And or you can eat some Iodine rich seaveggies, and seaweeds, like Kelp, or dulse and other seaveggies, on a consistent basis. Don't like those things?

You can try adding some Lugol's Iodine 5% solution to your daily diet for a month, start with what you feel you are comfortable doing even if it's 1 drop a day, or 1 drop 2 x a week. Or if you don't want to ingest it, try painting it on the bottoms of your feet a few times a week. Iodine, it's worth it to research it enough that you have some basic understanding of what it does for your body.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 30, 2007 04:38AM

Hi Prism:

Not sure if you were responding to me or another thread (I am new to sites like this), so if not, I apologize. I was not tested for iodine. I read about the correlation between iron/thyroid and decided to up my intake of the mineral. I take a dried kelp capsule a couple of times per week and use only sea salt when needed. I also eat a lot of kelp and Nori in Japanese cuisine.

With all of the measures I am taking, I hope to show an increase from the ferritin test at the end of January. My holistic doc has additionally ordered a saliva and blood test for thyroid, and hormones.

Thank you again.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 30, 2007 06:02AM

Sorry, but it was meant for original poster on the thread. I didn't even read your post until just now.

I think you might try a consult with either the raw food owner of this website here, you can find him on the home page. A half hour consult is very reasonable and just may give you some insight to what you can do.

I'm sure if you post on the main forum with the topic heading of what you are looking for you will get some responses from people. Give it a try.

Iodine is a very important missing link for many people especially for women. You might want to check out curezone.com or curezone.org and visit the FAQ page of the Iodine Supplementation Forum there. The moderators on that forum do a lot of off topic stuff..so sometimes the info. is easier to find on the FAQ pages.

Love,
Prism

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables