Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

pomegranate - when is it ripe?
Posted by: Faithfully10 ()
Date: October 21, 2007 06:42PM

I bought a pomegranate last week and decided to have it today. Well, cut it open I found out the seeds were pink and white. Last winter when I bought pomegrantes the seeds were a deep red. Is my pomegranate okay to eat if the seeds are pink/white?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pomegranate - when is it ripe?
Posted by: Kit ()
Date: October 21, 2007 07:00PM

Hi Faithfully,

Your pomegranate may be a different variety than you are used to. I think there's a 'papershell' or something variety that has paler interior color. Try it and see, it might taste good.

My pomegranate tree is a 'wonderful' and has been producing ripe fruit for a few weeks now. It's seeds are crimson color and delicious. I have so many I am giving them away. They cost $1.99 a piece at the store. I wish I could give you some.

Kit

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 21, 2007 07:25PM

i love how pomegranates stain my lips this sexy red smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 21, 2007 08:24PM

man, they are just SUCH a pain to eat and right now i'm so busy. way too busy to dedicate 45mins to sitting down peeling that fruit. it's on my counter slowly rotting away, tragic.

Posted by: Ryan ()
Date: October 21, 2007 11:45PM

do you guys eat the seeds in the pomegranate, or just suck the gel-like stuff from the seeds? eating the seeds just didn't feel natural to me, but i love the taste!

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 22, 2007 03:22AM

I eat the seeds.

Date: October 22, 2007 04:45PM

I have a friend that used to live in the middle east and had pomegrantes a lot of times. He said the trick to eating them, first you roll it on a hard surface, crunching the juicy pits, squeeze the fruit (not so hard) to hear the crunching sounds and do this for an hour or less. The more you roll, squeeze and crunch the juicy the pomegrante is. Than he said to stick a straw in the fruit and drink up!

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 22, 2007 10:58PM

Great question that I was going to ask, too! I've had one sitting around my kitchen for a few days and finally cut in to it this morning. Since this was the first time I've ever eaten a pomegranate, I just popped out the ruby red seeds like BB's and added them to my green smoothie. It gave it a really distinctive sweet taste that I'm certain my sugar-holic daughter will love.

I didn't know what to look for when I selected them at the grocery store or how to judge ripeness. The seeds also came out easily to my surprise. Can't wait to offer my little girl a banana & pomegranate smoothie in the morning!

My best to all,

David

Date: October 22, 2007 11:41PM

To get the seeds I often cut the pomegranate in quarters, stick them in a bowl of water and push the skin inside out to knock the seeds off with my finger.

In water the juice doesn't spray all over. Otherwise it can be messy and stain clothing.

I've heard you can cut them in half and juice them on a citus juicer the way you would an orange. I'll try that too.

Kit

Date: October 22, 2007 11:43PM

By the way I was at a Raley's today and pomegranates were selling for $2.29 or (was it more?) a piece. Dang.

Kit

Posted by: shane ()
Date: October 23, 2007 02:24PM

Is there a problem with eating the skin? For example, cutting them in quarters and throwing the whole mess into a smoothie?

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 25, 2007 03:26AM

I love pomegranate but it is a pain to eat.

I agree with deegarry - the best way to eat them is to leave the skin on, massage it and roll it around for awhile so the juice squeezes off the seeds, then suck out the juice.

If you cut it open then you have to deal with all those seeds in your mouth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables