Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

frozen pulp?
Posted by: michelle80 ()
Date: October 24, 2007 03:30PM

hi everyone,

i was wondering about the value of drinking juice made from frozen pulp. where i live, it is very easy to buy many types of frozen pulp to blend: they haven't been pasteurized, there's no added sugar or anything, it is simply a package of fruit pulp that has been frozen. i know that fresh is best, but is it okay and considered "raw" to consume this? the fruit has not been heated, so does it still contain enzymes?

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: frozen pulp?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 24, 2007 03:52PM

Opinion:

-Be less concerned about some 'raw' label and think 'vital' or 'unprocessed' instead.

-Frozen foods are less optimal, in my experience. But ANY less optimal food can be an excellent transitional fuel if it is moving you towawrds YOUR dietary/life goals.

-Only if you fundamentally regard healthy eating as an absolute necessity to your goals....would you find your burden light....and your discipline very miniscule....in eating such a way.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: October 24, 2007 04:10PM

If I'm reading your description correctly, it does sound "raw" as most would consider it - There are better choices and there are worse choices to make, depends where you want to draw the line, or if you feel it makes a difference or helps.

I'd be more concerned with the better choices usually than how truly "raw" something actually is myself. Usually the best choices are obviously raw though. :O)

Date: October 24, 2007 06:41PM

I've read some recipes that tell you to blend up a fresh Mango and then put it into icecube trays to freeze. When they are frozen, put it back in the blender to make Mango Ice cream.

Posted by: michelle80 ()
Date: October 24, 2007 06:47PM

okay, great! thanks for the help!

i know that they aren't unhealthy- they are natural- i was just curious about the "live enzymes". i know heating destroys them, but does freezing?

thanks again!

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 24, 2007 07:29PM

I don't think you could juice frozen fruit or veggies, but they are great in smoothies and even though some enzymes are destroyed in the freezing many stay intact.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 24, 2007 09:09PM

-Freezing definitely bursts cell walls....as water expands and crystallizes (at least that's what they say...).....and thus exposes those 'chemical bags' (enzymes) to oxidation and decay. Does it destroy ALL cell wall structures...probably not.......but putting something through a 'light artillery barrage' is not quite the same thing as peace. Sheesh....my analogies are NOT good today...... winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 15, 2007 04:54AM

Seeds maintain vitality through freezing, so why not frozen fruit or pulp? Many seeds actually have a better germination rate after being frozen.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 15, 2007 02:03PM

seeds and flesh are very different. our eggs and sperm also can survive freezing, we however cannot.

if the frozen pulp juice is taking the place of something fresh, i say go with the fresh. but if it's taking the place of something less optimal why not? as dzm says, a good transition food at least.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: November 15, 2007 09:50PM

David Z,

your analogies may not be perfect today, but your support and encouragement are, as alway, flawless and compassionate!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 17, 2007 03:08PM

No bad not raw,

I can only say its raw if you freeze fruit overnight, to make ice cream or something, but that is it.

sushi, which is frozen, is no longer raw meat, but unfrozen meat. If it were living, the bacteria would make you sick. So really all "raw" sushi is really not raw.

(I know raw meat is banned from this board, I hate it too. My point is freezing is a form of cooking, just like marinating is, or vinegar, salt does and is..the food is no longer raw.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables