Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

quinoa : same effect than grains?
Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: October 24, 2007 03:56PM

I read often here and there that grains "are acidifying because of their phytic acids. Also they contain opioids, which make them addictive." Bryan

Does quinoa contains opioids too? and/or phytic acids?

I enjoy eating it sprouted, over a tomato salad. I am wandering if it is addictive when "soaked and/or sprouted"

thanks everyone for all info you might have.

blessings to all of you

Cynthia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: quinoa : same effect than grains?
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 24, 2007 06:32PM

In their proper form, grains are not addictive. That negative stuff about grains just comes from a Doug Graham book, and I believe Doug Graham to be misinformed regarding grains.

The topic of grains can be easily misunderstood, though, so it's an easy thing to get confused about.

When we hear "grains" we often think of breads & pastas and such - which things are not good for us & should be lumped under the category of processed junk - and those things ARE addictive.

Grains come in so many different forms, but there's only one word to describe it all - that's where the confusion comes in.

The ONLY grains to eat are coarse whole grains - the kind you buy at the health food store such as amaranth, spelt, rye, quinoa, millet, etc. - grains like this are a whole different story. These grains are not addictive, they are fruits and can be sprouted.

The proper way to eat grains is sprouted.

It's like the difference between fresh fruit & canned fruit - one is good, the other isn't. Same with grains.

However, if you must cook grains you'll be happy to know that millet is one which stays alkaline even when cooked.

I found helpful sprouting information at www.thesproutpeople.com.

The great thing about grains is that they are a nutritional powerhouse - just a handful a day can keep you satisfied for many hours. Good for weight loss! They are an excellent winter food, when you find yourself craving things other than summer fruits and don't know what to eat that's not fatty.

When Doug Graham talks about how much acreage is needed in order to grow grains, I think he must never have eaten sprouted grains (??) otherwise he would realize that you need a VERY VERY small amount of coarse grains in order to satisfy a human. It's not like eating a big bowl of pasta.

And grains may be stimulating to the wrong physical constitution, but as well sweet fruits are sleepifying to the wrong constitution. You choose.

I personally have found great benefit to incorporating a handful of grains for breakfast - I tend to be least awake in the mornings so it works out well for me this way. Then I eat sweet fruits in the evening, when my natural energy levels are at their peak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2007 06:38PM by sunshine79.

Posted by: m ()
Date: October 24, 2007 06:55PM

quinoa is actually a seed, not a grain. it is the seed born from the goosefoot plant.

love,
*m*

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: October 24, 2007 09:31PM

thank you m and sunshine79

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 25, 2007 12:42AM

Similar nutrient profile and kcal density except that quinoa has a better amino acid profile than most whole grains. I love it and it sprouts so easily, but I don't feel that it's worth the money.

Posted by: badawie ()
Date: October 25, 2007 12:30PM

ok, I'm glad I didn't throw my quinoa away! :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables