Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Okinawan Longevity
Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: October 25, 2007 04:02PM

Greetings!

In addition to attempting to be raw, I am also a photographer..

I currently shoot 35mm B & W film, as well as digital with my Pentax MX & K10D cameras..

In the immediate future I hope to begin shooting with a Pentax 67II medium format camera..

In my continuing research into the world of the Pentax 6x7 system, I happened upon this link by the photographer Chris Wilson..

He is an Englishman, living & working in Japan on the island of Okinawa..

The piece is titled, The Okinawan Elixr..

It refers to the reasons so many native Okinawans live to be in their 80's, 90's, & 100's..

While not specifically vegan, or even raw vegan; there is some wisdom to be gained within the article..

I hope others enjoy the piece as much as I did..

Bruce

[www.travel67.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Okinawan Longevity
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 25, 2007 04:19PM

That link has a slight misspelling.

Here is the correct one [www.travel67.com].

Very interesting. Thanks.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 25, 2007 05:16PM

Neat!

I read the book The Okinawa Program when it first came out, I liked it alot.

I think the major problem of Western diets is sugar and processed foods, not cooking. Although raw is better than cooked, I think people could acheive stellar health just by switching to a whole diet first - and THEN go raw. No sugar, as sugar depletes nutrients - when we eat sugar, we're worse off than if we were just hungry. Dessert is not part of the typical Okinawan diet.

Fat - at least that occurs naturally, fat is not so bad. But sugar never occurs naturally (unless it's sugar cane, which is completely different).

I wonder why Whole Foods carries sugar, I've never understood that. Maybe people erroneously believe sugar to be something natural, but it's not, it's nutrient-leaching processed crap.

The Okinawans aren't addicted to it; hence, they retain their nutrients and live to healthy, glowing old ages.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 25, 2007 05:22PM

Whole Foods carries sugar because it sells. I love WF, but in the end they do have to satisfy the customer and it's all about the money.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 25, 2007 10:29PM

Sunshine79,
I would like to PM you but your mailbox is full.

Thanks,
Inner Beauty

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 26, 2007 04:12AM

Isn't there also a japanese village that has great longevity? I don't remember the name of the town. But its on a steep slope, and for a long time they didn't eat rice! Can you believe a japanese community that doesn't eat rice? I mentioned that to someone japanese, they did not believe it. The rice portion was replaced by a number of root vegetables. They also did not eat processed foods, and very little animal foods, even fish. The interesting thing was certain vegetable roots which produced a particular type of fiber, and it expands like 50 times when adding water. (its advisable to watch someone prepare this food, or read up extensively if you aren't familiar with it)It has very few calories, and is supposed to sweep the colon clean. Due to this vegetable, the total number of calories consumed were greatly reduced, compared to other japanese.

Today however, processed foods are shipped in, and the elderly people actually have better health than their children or even grandchildren. I have even heard of grandparents taking care of their children and grandchildren. I wish i can remember the name of the town!

Date: October 26, 2007 07:22PM

<innerbeauty> Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sunshine79,
> I would like to PM you but your mailbox is full.
>
> Thanks,
> Inner Beauty

Sorry, cleared some out just now.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: October 26, 2007 08:23PM

A Pentaxian on a raw food board! This is mingling mine and my husband's great passions in life - mine being the raw foods, his being the Pentax and its array of lenses. (He *is*Japanese, too but not from Okinawa winking smiley)

Date: October 27, 2007 12:53AM

Greetings lemoned!!

Does this make you a Pentaxian, once removed!!..

Where do you live; in Japan, or elsewhere??

Does your husband eat the traditional Japanese diet, or has he sucumbed to a SAD diet??..

Bruce

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: October 27, 2007 03:04AM

I'm not really a Pentaxian, as I am mostly annoyed with being photographed all the time in the most mundane situations. We live in southern California. There's a lot of Japanese people here and so he/they continue mostly the japanese diet, which he appreciates a lot. I don't try to change people anymore, I just offer advice when asked and otherwise try to be a good role model.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: October 27, 2007 11:13AM

>>Isn't there also a japanese village that has great longevity? I don't remember the name of the town. But its on a steep slope, and for a long time they didn't eat rice!<<

Mislu, I think this might be the story: [www.appliedhealth.com]

The village apparently is called Yuzuri Hara.

Date: October 27, 2007 06:48PM

Interesting article! Thanks for the link Jono!

Date: October 27, 2007 10:21PM

lemoned

The reason for all those mundane photos??..

He loves you, he loves you, HE REALLY LOVES YOU!!..

Don't blame your husband, "The camera made him do it!!"..

Cheers, Bruce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables