Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

quinoa... raw?
Posted by: jorgeben ()
Date: October 28, 2007 11:08PM

Other than sprouting, whats a good way to prepare quinoa?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: quinoa... raw?
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 29, 2007 02:30PM

If you want it to be optimal, you have to sprout it. Cooking it isn't awful, not as bad as eating a sandwich or white rice or pasta.... even cooked, quinoa is still pretty healthy - but the difference is that cooked it's merely life-sustaining while sprouted it's life-giving.

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: October 29, 2007 04:23PM

Soak it overnight and then cook it, if you're going to cook it winking smiley

Posted by: uma ()
Date: October 30, 2007 05:13AM

I got this when I went to Hippocrates Health Institute several years ago.

When I was last eating cooked, quinoa was my fave grain. So sweet and nutty. And supposedly one of the only grains that's not acidic.

Love,
Uma

"Cooking Livelier Grains"

Instructions for cooking millet/quinoa:

The night before you will be using them (or in the morning if you will be preparing the grain for dinner) soak the grains in plenty of fresh water. Before using, drain the water off of the grains and rinse them thoroughly under running water. Return the grains to the pot and put twice the amount of fresh water as you have grains (I.e. 1 cup of millet, put 2 cups of water). Cook covered on medium-high heat until the water comes to a boil. At this point, turn off the burner but allow the pot to remain on the hot burner for 10-15 minutes. The remaining water will be absorbed and the grains fully cooked.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 30, 2007 02:21PM

Yes quinoa & millet can be prepared without even actually cooking.... if I cook grains, I only cook the harder grains like spelt & rye. Millet I just add to the remaining water after I turn off the burner, and just let it sit there on the stove for a bit to soften up.

Posted by: jorgeben ()
Date: October 30, 2007 07:04PM

Thanks.

Cooked some up today, mixed it with coconut milk and banana blossoms for a delicious porridge.

I was worried that they were unsproutable, since the sesame seeds from the same store would not sprout, but they are!

By the way, uma, quinoa isn't technically a grain.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: October 31, 2007 04:50AM

Yeah I remember hearing that quinoa is actually a fruit (or seed?). I love that!! But then again I get confused, because some people say all grains are seeds which some people say are fruit and blah blah, I can't keep it all straight. But there is something very darn cool about quinoa. Though, I don't remember raw quinoa sprouts tasting anywhere near as yummy as the cooked stuff.

Love,
Uma

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables