Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cheetoh replacement?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 29, 2007 05:14PM

Is there anything out there that's raw - that can possibly EVER take the place of Cheetohs? I sure miss those things! And thick, soft cheezy bread from Dominoes.

Any ideas?
Please????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cheetoh replacement?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 29, 2007 05:56PM

Not really...no. Some folks eat sprouted grain loafs and fermented items.....that CAN approximate some of these tastes. I was never into it. You COULD make your own fermented nut loafs...and dehydrate them. I'll leave that cleverness to some of the other wonderful folks on this board.

-Physically, making the change from fast-acting simple carbohydrates (flour, pasta, rice, beans, breads, etc.) to a longer-acting diet of fresh fruits and vegetables....is a challenge....and one of the final conversions a person will have to make on the way to all-raw (if that is their goal).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 29, 2007 07:01PM

I don't know of any raw vegan cheetos like things. But if vegan is sufficient you could try tings--they are highly processed vegan junk food with a cheesy taste from corn meal, rice/sunflower oil, nutritional yeast, and salt.

Maybe you could do a mostly raw vegan approxikmation with blended raw corn, blended raw ground nuts/seeds, and a pinch of nutritional yeast, dehydrated.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 29, 2007 07:42PM

You might try to analyze what it is about Cheetohs that you crave. Is it the crunch? the salt? the cheese? the experience of eating mindlessly? If you're only craving one or two of these things then you might be able to find a solution which satisfies without the Herculean task of trying to recreate a raw Cheetoh.

You can make all kinds of crunchy snacks with a dehydrator, but approximating cheese is harder. A lot of the raw recipes I've seen for cheese substitutes contain nutritional yeast, which isn't actually raw, but is better than eating actual Cheetohs if your cravings are out of control. There are a lot of foods thatyou can eat mindlessly without negative consequence until you lose interest, but most of them aren't dehydrated, salty or cheesy.

Date: October 29, 2007 08:10PM

What helped me with my cravings of Mike 'N Ike jelly beans and Chips and salsa at restaurants is finding out exactly what the ingredients inside them are. When I read about it, I almost gaged, thinking; is that what I'm putting into my body.

I know you still crave it, but when you actually stop eating it, you stop craving it.

Out of sight Out of mind.

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: October 29, 2007 08:25PM

exactly, dee. for example, i haven't eaten flesh since i was 12 years old and i can't even identify its "appeal", although i can remember a time when i still thought about it.

if you are having such cravings for cheetos, ignore them. think about what dee said.

Enriched cornmeal (cornmeal, iron, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid) Vegetable oil. Seasoning (Whey, cheddar cheese, sour cream, artificial flavour, MSG, Lactic acid, colour, citric acid) salt.

for god's sake, cheeto's have MSG in them. why would you want to eat that?

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: October 29, 2007 08:30PM

I used to love Cheetos, too.

If I had to take a wild stab at it, I'd mandoline yams super thin to make them into chips, make a marinade of blended sauerkraut juice, lime juice, nama shoyu, garlic, onion, and sundried tomatoes, marinate them; and then dehydrate the heck out of them to try to make them crispy.

Or, instead of slicing and marinating the yams, blend a mixture of yams and butternut squash into a paste, run it through a pastry bag into cheetoh-like squiggles, dehydrate them until they hold their shape, then put them in the marinade and then re-dehydrate.

This may approximate the yucky unhealthy salty spice of the cheetohs. Of course it won't give you that airy crunch or yellow fingers from the real thing, but it won't make you feel crappy either!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 30, 2007 12:28AM

Oh my gosh..I was totally addicted to those before raw! Once I found raw I quit eating them, and they are one of the things if I cheat I never eat! They were killing me! If I cheat I'll eat stone ground yellow corn tortilla chips and salsa and guacamole.

There is a recipe with raw corn for raw tortilla chips that have some yummy sounding spices on them..that I've wanted to try. You have to dehydrate them, then sprinkle with braggs amino acids, and sprinke with some spices. You might find them in the recipe forum here.

Cheese..in cheetos..I don't think they even have real cheese on them do they? LOL!!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 30, 2007 07:25PM

How long have you been raw? I use to crave the crunch in cooked foods and some of the textures. I don't think the chetoos are healthy. lol I would eat pop corn with brewers yeast sprinkled on it. That gave a crunch and a cheesy flavor. When I want to crunch something I chose that because I know somewhat what it is. I am not to sure about the brewers yeast though and sometimes I just eat the popcorn. One day I couldnt get it out of my head so I just poped the corn and ate it my ten year old chastized me for eating cooked foods. I think with time the desire will subside. I think all of the ideas are so wonderful. I think it is important to analyse your craving and see if you are lacking a certain nutriant. Our minds still think of the cooked foods as nutrients and I think that is why we crave the cooked foods so much. Over all eating raw foods is the best thing and I have not felt this good in years the chetoos have to go byby lol

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 30, 2007 11:12PM

Brewers yeast has a lot of B vitamins and I add it to my dogs raw food that I make. I also used to add it to the recipe for protein shake Adelle Davis gives in her "Let's Have Healthy Children" book as she recommended.

I've never tried it on popcorn though..and I might if it gives a cheesy flavor. I've found my tastes have changed now, and what used to taste good..not so good anymore.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 31, 2007 01:49AM

If I eat to much brewers yeast I get a very bad stomach ache. The animals just love the brewers yeast, the horses also. I figured if the animals go crazy for it it may have something that is good right? I am going to have to figure out just how it is made. In ann wigmores books she says to dry some of the sprouted wheat that is used for rejuvelac for brewers yeast. So I guess we can make it ourselves.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 31, 2007 04:57AM

I asked Chester the Cheetah

and he said " It ain't eazy being cheezy"

looks like u got a lot of advice sandy

GO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables