Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

gum
Posted by: ddreams76 ()
Date: October 29, 2007 08:49PM

so i am trying to quit smoking and am chewing a lot of sugar free gum because of it. obviously gum is not raw and does have additives that are bad....but how bad is it? just curious....cause i need it right now while i quit smoking but i feel guilty chewing it!

thanks

d

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gum
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 29, 2007 09:31PM

Those artificial sweeteners are pretty bad, but as a temporary crutch, do whatever you have to do. Personally, I think I would prefer straight up sugar.

What about dried fruit - it's pretty chewy and sweet?

Somebody told me once that they had good luck chewing on a clove (from your spice cupboard), although I haven't tried it. Don't be too hard on yourself, no matter what you have to do. Better to use a bad temporary crutch than to fail.

You're doing great, I am so proud of you!!!!

Here's a video about aspartame: Sweet Misery

Sapphire

Date: October 29, 2007 09:41PM

thanks sapphire. i will watch the video shortly. i figured sugar free gum before dried fruit or some other food cause i certainly dont need the added calories of more food. I eat too much as it is! and still feel i need to lose 10 pounds...which probably will turn into gaining 10 lbs with the attempt to become a non smoker. did you gain weight when you quit?
turning to raw food...trying to quit smoking...all in the same 3 weeks. now if i could just try and get my relationship with food in general to change. ha ha.

thanks again for all your superior support sapphire!

Posted by: veggiel0ve ()
Date: October 29, 2007 10:36PM

try a more natural alternative I know they have tons of brands at health food stores, almost everywhere.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 29, 2007 11:02PM

I'll say I gained some weight when I quit smoking (I was pregnant), hahaha!!!!

Seriously though, you might gain a little, but don't let it bother you - you can lose it quite easily AFTER the cravings are gone - I'd try my hardest not to worry about that just now. The good thing is that if you are going raw, you probably won't gain as much as you might have otherwise unless you go really crazy with the fats. Keep lots of cut up veggies in the fridge for some of your snack cravings (best to have them in a container, prepared and ready to eat if you can) - I dare you to eat enough raw vegetables to get fat, it's probably impossible! But don't be afraid of fruit either, you will appreciate the sweetness more and more as your taste buds improve.

Oh yes, be sure to eliminate words like "trying" or "attempting". Tell everyone that you have done it, you have quit. You are a non-smoker now. Brag about it!

Sapphire

Date: October 29, 2007 11:51PM

wow sapphire what an interesting video. i have forwarded it to my sister and a couple friends...

thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables