Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Exercise - 8/1/1 - fruitarians- frugs
Posted by: badawie ()
Date: October 31, 2007 02:39PM

I'm back with yet another request for advice!

I still can't work up the energy to exercise. It's been just over a month, I'm still doing the one non-fruit meal a day thing (no overt fats).

I know I have to be patient, but Dr D (via vegsource) seems to think I should already be exercising, saying that my low blood sugar is probably due to my lack of exercise.

I know that I can exercise if I eat more non-fruit/veg (ie lentils/pasta) because my energy levels soared when I did last week (experimenting!).

I guess I just worry that's like going backwards..is there anyone here on 8/1/1 or fruitarian/frug who would share their personal experience with exercise? I know F1 obviously has no problem, just wondering how long it takes to get there and whether some people just don't?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exercise - 8/1/1 - fruitarians- frugs
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: October 31, 2007 03:10PM

Can it be possibly more of a state of mind?? Guess that would be hard to answer since you wouldn't easily realize it :O)

Other than that, start slow and pace yourself might be a thought.
Eating enough and maybe not as frequent meals.
Finding something you like to do and enjoy.
Keep the exercise times short.
Just start with simple walking maybe.
Get more rest.

If you are going from lentils/pasta back to raw problems aren't surprising. Don't use the typical "it was just one day" or "it was just a little bit" :O)

I find myself when 100% raw the desire to be active to some degree just comes about.

I'm sure others have some thought though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2007 03:11PM by tanawana.

Date: October 31, 2007 03:38PM

badawie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm back with yet another request for advice!
>
> I still can't work up the energy to exercise. It's
> been just over a month, I'm still doing the one
> non-fruit meal a day thing (no overt fats).
>
> I know I have to be patient, but Dr D (via
> vegsource) seems to think I should already be
> exercising, saying that my low blood sugar is
> probably due to my lack of exercise.
>
> I know that I can exercise if I eat more
> non-fruit/veg (ie lentils/pasta) because my energy
> levels soared when I did last week
> (experimenting!).
>
> I guess I just worry that's like going
> backwards..is there anyone here on 8/1/1 or
> fruitarian/frug who would share their personal
> experience with exercise? I know F1 obviously has
> no problem, just wondering how long it takes to
> get there and whether some people just don't?

Dr D's right but what many people don't realise is that "exercise/fitness" is not for everyone and from what your saying it maybe that exercise is just not your thing because regardless of fitness/energy levels if you want to do something you will do it, for instants, if I said " if go out and exercise and I'll give you a million bucks", you'd be out there jogging around in a flash, why, because you wanted to!

Also I don't know what your eating but if your trying to go raw all your energy is being used upby your body to clean and heal, so yeah expect to not feel up to par for a long while but that doesn't mean you don't get out and do something you enjoy.

I have a saying that I always use and it goes like this "DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND LOVE WHAT YOU DO," it means you gotta find something you love to do and do it intensly, if you love to walk then just go hiking somewhere beautiful, also we exercise every day and don't realise it, every time we walk at work, jump over something, twist to lift an object, play with the children/pets we are exercising.

Hope that helped.

F1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2007 03:44PM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: October 31, 2007 03:53PM

I remember being in the same boat but I had a bad shoulder so it was a while before I could exercise when I began 80/10/10. But what a difference I noticed when I did! All that extra circulation from exercise moves out the bad stuff way faster AND you get the benefits of exercise.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: October 31, 2007 04:29PM

Inertia is tough.

Try to find something fun or interesting that gets you up and moving. Mostly, I do yoga classes, spin classes, and hike with a local group. I used to have a good bike but don't any more otherwise I would add biking with a group. Try some new things and see what works for you.

I know someone who can just get up first thing in the morning and run for miles alone. Not me.

Good luck.

I hope this helps.

Lee

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 31, 2007 05:00PM

Does eating all that sweet fruit right now feel good to you? I ask because I personally can't do mostly fruit unless I'm already exercising. If I tried to eat mostly fruit at a sedentary time (especially in the fall or winter), I'd feel tired from it.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 31, 2007 05:36PM

I've been all-fruit for many years. The key is your idea of 'exercise'. It is just a fixated idea!!!!! What I mean is:

Question: How much exercise are you doing now per day? Zero seconds....5 seconds.....10 seconds...what? Get yourself one of those cheap little kitchen timers that remembers your time (like you get at the dollar store). You ARE doing some level of activity/exercise now. Just seek to increase the time....and not even necessarily the intensity.....that will come........by 5 seconds per day.

-The key to to eliminate the HUGE SCREEN OF MENTAL DIFFICULTY which clouds the reality of being able to do the VERY SMALL THINGS every day that will give you momentum and project you to your goals (goals being the only thing that will give you the positive daily motivation you need).

-For my own part, I enjoy weight-lifting, hiking, running, tennis, you name it (just don't ask me to join the NBA!) LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: October 31, 2007 07:15PM

lol. ok, thanks for all those replies. I think you all have part of the puzzle. I think it was a combination of things.

I say that, because I have broken the barrier! I went to look at a new martial arts class, just to watch mind you.

Luckily (yeah right, it was luck), I was wearing the right clothes, and I ended up joining in, by the SECOND hour I was doing cartwheels, somersaults and all that good kung fu stuff!

That was AWESOME! I didn't realise I hated my old martial arts class (maybe explains why I lost focus - I was BORED - and got knocked out last time I went).

Fruitarian one and Dave;

How prescient you turned out to be..
I am mad for kung fu! But couldn't find a style I like where I live..you are so right. But thanks for all being here, the support is so wonderful, just talking to you all inspired me! Such funny timing..

Date: October 31, 2007 07:17PM

and I have to add, the endorphins are such a rush! this is what has been missing from my diet!!

D'oh!

Date: October 31, 2007 07:23PM

badawie Wrote:
> lol. ok, thanks for all those replies. I think you
> all have part of the puzzle. I think it was a
> combination of things.
>
> I say that, because I have broken the barrier! I
> went to look at a new martial arts class, just to
> watch mind you.
>
> Luckily (yeah right, it was luck), I was wearing
> the right clothes, and I ended up joining in, by
> the SECOND hour I was doing cartwheels,
> somersaults and all that good kung fu stuff!
>
> That was AWESOME! I didn't realise I hated my old
> martial arts class (maybe explains why I lost
> focus - I was BORED - and got knocked out last
> time I went).
>
> Fruitarian one and Dave;
>
> How prescient you turned out to be..
> I am mad for kung fu! But couldn't find a style I
> like where I live..you are so right. But thanks
> for all being here, the support is so wonderful,
> just talking to you all inspired me! Such funny
> timing..

Great news, I'm so happy for you!!!

It's so sad to see people turn away from exercise because of fixed notion of pain, fitness really isn't just about the gym and training like a bodybuilder!!!

you've come back to the fold and I'm so happy for you, keep pushing, keep having fun!

F1

Date: October 31, 2007 10:18PM

F1:

You are so right. I can't believe I allowed my mind to bog me down. When I think back to my perception of exercise this last month, it all involves standard weight training. I injured my knee a few months ago, and people keep telling me (mainly docs) that I needed to rebuild my leg strength (quads) before going back to yoga and martial arts (which I've been doing for years). I guess that just really put up a mental block since it's not what I love (even though I do weight training with martial arts).

The nagging doubts about the mainly fruit diet played a huge part. Looking at your pictures recently inspired a "if he can do it so can I" attitude (I was looking at them before leaving for class today).

What a great site!

Date: October 31, 2007 10:43PM

badawie Wrote:
> F1:
>
> You are so right. I can't believe I allowed my
> mind to bog me down. When I think back to my
> perception of exercise this last month, it all
> involves standard weight training. I injured my
> knee a few months ago, and people keep telling me
> (mainly docs) that I needed to rebuild my leg
> strength (quads) before going back to yoga and
> martial arts (which I've been doing for years). I
> guess that just really put up a mental block since
> it's not what I love (even though I do weight
> training with martial arts).
>
> The nagging doubts about the mainly fruit diet
> played a huge part. Looking at your pictures
> recently inspired a "if he can do it so can I"
> attitude (I was looking at them before leaving for
> class today).
>
> What a great site!

Your very right, if I can do it anybody can, people often forget that I had to start from somewhere, they see what I do and automatically scare themselves out of getting active themselves, but for me it's all about doing what "YOU" can do and not what "I" can do!!!

All I want to show is that fitness can be a whole bunch of fun and you can virtually make a workout out of anything, even gardening is an excellent full body workout if you do it intensly, just like life fitness is what you make it and if being stuck in some gym is not your thing then I urge people to do something else better instead, just don't give up on it!

You inspire me because you stepped out and had fun!!!!

Keep it up....keep pushing!

F1

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: November 01, 2007 12:24AM

Cool thread, nice posts smiling smiley

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: November 01, 2007 03:54PM

Well, I'm going to try and add my two cents without bitching & moaning since this topic is near and dear to my heart.

Before going raw I was used to and LOVED intense exercise. My favorite event every year is a 100 mile bike ride in Wichita Falls, Texas in late August appropriately called "Hotter Than Hell". In my eyes for better or worse, the tougher the event the more I enjoy it.

Fast forward to undertaking the raw lifestyle and dreaded detox which is still greatly affecting my workouts. Since it was in the upper 70's here yesterday in Dallas I rode my bike outside instead of my usual routine at the gym and my ride was less than stellar...

Bottom line Ms. Badawie is that exercising at the level you're used to during detox is a no win situation. I'm a HUGE fan of Fruitarian 1 and my buddy David Zane Mason but I'm willing to bet their severe detox ended years ago!

I'm cutting back on what I expect from my 'normal' workouts and resting when the body tells me so. Even more, I'm learning not to beat myself up over this 'exercise compromise' or feel badly that I could only do 30 minutes vs. my usual 45 minutes on the Stairmaster. Or a 17mph average on the bike when it should be 20+mph. I'm going to go slow and give this raw program a chance.

Best of luck to you!

David

Date: November 01, 2007 04:24PM

diamond dave Wrote:
> Well, I'm going to try and add my two cents
> without bitching & moaning since this topic is
> near and dear to my heart.
>
> Before going raw I was used to and LOVED intense
> exercise. My favorite event every year is a 100
> mile bike ride in Wichita Falls, Texas in late
> August appropriately called "Hotter Than Hell".
> In my eyes for better or worse, the tougher the
> event the more I enjoy it.
>
> Fast forward to undertaking the raw lifestyle and
> dreaded detox which is still greatly affecting my
> workouts. Since it was in the upper 70's here
> yesterday in Dallas I rode my bike outside instead
> of my usual routine at the gym and my ride was
> less than stellar...
>
> Bottom line Ms. Badawie is that exercising at the
> level you're used to during detox is a no win
> situation. I'm a HUGE fan of Fruitarian 1 and my
> buddy David Zane Mason but I'm willing to bet
> their severe detox ended years ago!
>
> I'm cutting back on what I expect from my 'normal'
> workouts and resting when the body tells me so.
> Even more, I'm learning not to beat myself up over
> this 'exercise compromise' or feel badly that I
> could only do 30 minutes vs. my usual 45 minutes
> on the Stairmaster. Or a 17mph average on the
> bike when it should be 20+mph. I'm going to go
> slow and give this raw program a chance.
>
> Best of luck to you!

You obviously don't know me very well...

What makes you think I still wasn't pushing myself and exercising while going through severe detox?

Yeah sure detox is hard and your body diverts it's energy to your cleansing and healing which will leave you with little motivation to work out but if you can and want to workout then do it to the best of your abilities and have fun with it, infact working out helps with detox.

Don't assume that I'm talking big because my detox is done and I think I'm home free, it took me ten years to fully detox, I talk big because I can and I can because I've walked the walk and still continue to do so and probably always will and yes having to cut back on your exercising/workouts is frustrating to many people especially those that like to compete at a high level but the body does not know anything about sports or winning competitions all it knows is that it has a job to do and that is to heal and clean and for me cutting down on my workouts is a small price to pay compared to the titanic clean up job the body has to undertake!

But I'm glad you didn't quit like most people do, I've even heard "guru's" tell people to not exercise during detox is bad for you, this is a shame because exercise is what got me through my detox!!!

Be good!

F1

>
> David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 04:33PM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: November 01, 2007 04:38PM

F1,

You're still the man as far as I'm concerned with 10+ years experience on this subject vs. my two months!!!!

Of all you said above, this part to me is VITAL:

"but the body does not know anything about sports or winning competitions all it knows is that it has a job to do and that is to heal and clean and for me cutting down on my workouts is a small price to pay compared to the titanic clean up job the body has to undertake".

Well stated, bro.

David

Date: November 01, 2007 05:28PM

diamond dave Wrote:
> F1,
>
> You're still the man as far as I'm concerned with
> 10+ years experience on this subject vs. my two
> months!!!!
>
> Of all you said above, this part to me is VITAL:
>
> "but the body does not know anything about sports
> or winning competitions all it knows is that it
> has a job to do and that is to heal and clean and
> for me cutting down on my workouts is a small
> price to pay compared to the titanic clean up job
> the body has to undertake".
>
> Well stated, bro.
>
> David

Hey man your doing great to get this far, many people flake out and quit!

While your going through detox your not experiencing the raw lifestyle your experiencing detox, too many people think that the detox is all the raw lifestyle has to offer and they are so wrong.

I'm glad that your sticking to it because trust me it's all well worth it, it takes a while but it gets better the longer you stick at it, as long as you stay strict and natural, if you get caught up in all the raw placebo's then your going to get suspended in animation, I can honestly say that once you get past the cleansing you can finally experience all the good the raw lifestyle has to offer.

Here's a link to an article I wrote on the subject, read the others too, hope it helps!

[www.realgainz.com]

F1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 05:36PM by The Fruitarian One.

Date: November 01, 2007 07:31PM

Great article..I especially liked this part...

"Personally, since going Fruitarian I no longer believe that it's natural to "PACK ON MUSCLE" infact since going Fruitarian my desire for huge rippling muscles has completely gone because it just no longer makes sense nor is it attractive to me, for instants, in the wild there would not be a workload that would require such big muscles or that would compare to purposely working out in the gym with heavy weights, plus when's the last time you've seen elephants as big as they are working out at the local gym or going through the whole bulking up and cutting process?"

lol. I guess my expectations were unrealistic. I just worked so hard for the little muscle I have (being a tall female carrying high body fat) that it really freaked me out to see it all biting the dust. But oddly, someone at yoga today (yes I exercised again) pointed out that my biceps and calves look really defined..the only conclusion I come to is that my muscles look smaller because apart from a little loss from not exercising this last month, I am losing some fat and water that was making the bulk look a bit bigger (as you say in your article). It's odd though, because on the scale I really haven't lost much weight.

I start up taijijaun tomorrow. My new martial arts teacher likes to do the sword form in nature up in the mountains..'sigh' beautiful, we're having an indian summer.

Going to read the rest of your site. I wish I was closer to the states, would love to do your boot camp!

Date: November 01, 2007 09:45PM

badawie Wrote:
> Great article..I especially liked this part...
>
> "Personally, since going Fruitarian I no longer
> believe that it's natural to "PACK ON MUSCLE"
> infact since going Fruitarian my desire for huge
> rippling muscles has completely gone because it
> just no longer makes sense nor is it attractive to
> me, for instants, in the wild there would not be a
> workload that would require such big muscles or
> that would compare to purposely working out in the
> gym with heavy weights, plus when's the last time
> you've seen elephants as big as they are working
> out at the local gym or going through the whole
> bulking up and cutting process?"
>
> lol. I guess my expectations were unrealistic. I
> just worked so hard for the little muscle I have
> (being a tall female carrying high body fat) that
> it really freaked me out to see it all biting the
> dust. But oddly, someone at yoga today (yes I
> exercised again) pointed out that my biceps and
> calves look really defined..the only conclusion I
> come to is that my muscles look smaller because
> apart from a little loss from not exercising this
> last month, I am losing some fat and water that
> was making the bulk look a bit bigger (as you say
> in your article). It's odd though, because on the
> scale I really haven't lost much weight.
>
> I start up taijijaun tomorrow. My new martial arts
> teacher likes to do the sword form in nature up in
> the mountains..'sigh' beautiful, we're having an
> indian summer.
>
> Going to read the rest of your site. I wish I was
> closer to the states, would love to do your boot
> camp!

Yeah, I've been through a lot of changes and the closer you get to nature the less sense all the bodybuilding stuff makes!

Also you'd be surprised how small we actually are when we get to our natural size!

Be good

F1

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: November 01, 2007 10:27PM

I think the key factor is whether your body wants you to workout or not, and at what level. For example, my body wants me to rest and heal, and I am prefectly happy with it. It is completely OK not to work out all, as is completely OK to move when your body wants you to. In my view pushing myself when my body doesn't want me to is unwise, as is restricting my desire for movement when my body wants me to move. By the way, I have seen examples of people not wanting to move for months, and then suddenly wanting to move a lot. Makse sense to me.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables