Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Final Harvest
Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: November 02, 2007 10:09PM

It was supposed to frost the other night, so I did my final harvest. I have a buffet overflowing with sweet peppers in various stages of green. None of them are ripe and only a few have started to ripen over the past few days. I'm afraid they won't ripen and will, instead, go to waste. :-( Is there anything I can do with green peppers (like pickle them, maybe?) that will make them okay to eat? I don't eat green peppers, usually, because I can't digest them very well. I have a small amount of green tomatoes, too. If those don't ripen, is there something I can do with them, as well?

Thanks for any advice!

Love,

Gypsy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Final Harvest
Posted by: jorgeben ()
Date: November 03, 2007 12:02AM

The only thing I can think of is fried green tomatoes, but those aren't raw...

You can always put them in a paper bag with a banana.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: November 05, 2007 06:48PM

Some of the tomatoes and peppers have ripened (I've been keeping a ripe banana with them--thanks, jorgeben)! Lots of them are looking like they are getting a bit soft (slightly beginning to wrinkle), however, and they are still green. :-( Does anyone else have a suggestion for what I can do with them (I have *a lot*) so that they don't go to the compost bin? I'd love to be able to eat them, if possible.

Thanks!

Love,

Gypsy

Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: November 05, 2007 07:06PM

i have two huge buckets of green tomoatos i had to pick aswell. ive left the peppers on the plants even though it frosted and they are still turning red. I do however eat the sweet peppers at all stages of growth. i like them a lot when they're tiny, they're like grape tomotos ina way. is it not good for digestion if they're not ripe? and how do you know when they hit that ripe stage?
for the tomatos, they've just been getting ripe over time. they're in bowel in front of my kitchen windows turning red slowly but enough to were i have at least 4-5 to eat everyday... just keep letting them get sun.
if they are rotting while they're still green then i dont know what to tell you, my moms friend told me to store the green ones in a box w/ newspaper and take some out to put in the window seal when i want them to ripen and somehow they're supost to work this way, and they are.

i dont mind eating my peppers a little wrinkled either, but thats just me and not wanting to compost them either smiling smiley im sure the wrikled garden peppers are tastier than the crunchy grocery peppers anyday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables