Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fruit-only Fruitarian, temporarily
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 03, 2007 08:25AM

I feel like eating only fruit (and no avocados) for a while. I think I need a recharge.

I've done this before lots of times; it usually doesn't last very long. I'm really not an advocate of fruit-only fruitarianism for the LONG term (no offense intended toward anyone who is).

But for the short term.....It's just been 2 days so far, and I'm already experiencing some benefits.

For me, eating just fruit has an advantage over water fasting: I can stay energized and do stuff that I don't feel like doing when I'm water fasting.

So that's how I'm looking at it, kind of like a fast, but not really.

smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fruit-only Fruitarian, temporarily
Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: November 03, 2007 09:29AM

Interesting. I've just made changes in my diet because I've noticed that my eyes have been a bit blood shot and not very white. I also get occasional small pimples which in my mind indercates that there is definately still something wrong with what I'm eating.

I'm now eating exclusively only fruit and veges and their juices which means no more miso, tamari, nori and dried fruit which until then I had been eating. I was going to go without avo as well, did a day and then decided to try just cutting back on that while eliminating the prior to see what happens.

So far I haven't noticed any change in my eyes but my energy level has soared. Today I spent 3 hours playing vollyball in the morning, gardening in the afternoon and then some weights and things afterwards and still feel like I could carry on running around for ages. Its only been 3 days on this diet and I'm sure its effecting my general strength and endurance. I also seem to be sleeping better and need way less water.

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: November 03, 2007 11:45AM

Sometimes, I have a fruitarian-pause to recharge as well. smiling smiley

I know I will never be a longterm fruitarian because I really love my greens, but sometimes it is nice to have the light cleansening feeling of a fruit fast...

When I do this, I don't eat avocadoes or nuts either... Mostly pineapples, oranges, and grapes - my all-time favs. smiling smiley

xxpeisi

~I've tasted of the fruit,
it's opened up my eyes...~
-Infected Mushroom

Date: November 03, 2007 01:15PM

A "Fruitarian" is nothing but a strict raw vegan!!!!

I think when people say "Fruitarian" or "fruit only" they have a misguided idea of what it's actually is, you'll actually find that there's more different types of "fruits" than you realise and you'll also realise that a Fruitarian and strict raw vegan are actually eating the same things, but this idea of what "fruitarianism is , is a little off, maybe that's why so many people have issues, just eating sweet fruits or restricting certain things is not "Fruitarianism".

Here's foods that a Fruitarian/strict raw vegan would eat:

Sweet Fruits: Oranges, bananas, apples, melons, grapes, papayas, berries, figs, dates, mangoes, etc.

Non Sweet Fruits: cucumbers, avocados, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.

Vegetables: lettuces and other greens, celery, etc.

Nuts and Seeds: Sunflower and squash seeds, almonds, walnuts, soft coconut meat, etc.

Also: coconut water, juices, water, and other raw and living foods.

F1

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 03, 2007 02:24PM

-Its not so much a 'choice', but a matter of what your deep...internal...inspired goals are. You will KNOW if eating fruit is what's going to get you there. And if you want to go 'there', then will do a process that YOUR mind has informed you will get you there......and not so much try to compare yourself by some other guru or standard. And you will take joy in that. smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: November 03, 2007 02:45PM

Hi F1,
I didn't know greens were considered part of a fruitarian diet. (!!??) I remember back in the '90s on this forum we were just beginning to discuss the possibility that fruits by themselves (including the vegetable-fruits) were not enough, and people began to realize it was necessary to add greens to the diet in order to not experience deficiencies, because too many were having problems with their teeth, energy, etc.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 03, 2007 02:53PM

Hi Kwan,

Yeah limited greens/veggies....this is why I can't understand some peoples hatred towards Fruitarianism....in my opinion it's all about stages and we will all go through our own stages to the point where none of this matters anymore.

F1

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 03, 2007 05:25PM

I eat leaves because I can't get the numbers (Ca, Mg, Zn, Fe, etc.) to come out right if I omit them.

I also like the taste of the lettuces and some crucifers and I'd miss them.

But I don't force myself to eat the leaves that I don't like anymore. I used to buy collards a lot because they are so cheap. Not because I liked them.

Date: November 03, 2007 05:55PM

Thanks people for visiting!

Fruitarianone. Thanks for your input.

Definitions aside, for me temporarily, I'm just eating fruits - no greens/nuts/seeds/avos/coconuts. It's kind of like a fast. I don't do this very often.

I'll go back to having some greens/nuts/seeds/avos/coconuts in my diet sooner or later.

Even though I do believe veggies have their place in a healthy raw vegan diet, sometimes fruit-only is a fun and beneficial thing to do.

It's like Peisinoe says, "Sometimes it is nice to have the light cleansing feeling of a fruit fast..." Your picture is so cool Peisinoe!

People are welcome to join in.

Date: November 03, 2007 06:03PM

It's important that we do what makes us happy and I'm glad your doing that....greatstuff!

F1

Date: November 03, 2007 06:54PM

Luv ya, F1.

Luv y'all!

Date: November 03, 2007 08:51PM

F1--

(BTW, you're SUCH an inspiration.) :-)

I agree with you: as long as I can get some greens in there every now and then, fruit is the best way to go! As I get more and more healthy I find I gravitate less and less to vegetables and avocados, and I eat a lot less in general. But the greens are definitely part of the picture.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 03, 2007 09:18PM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> F1--
>
> (BTW, you're SUCH an inspiration.) :-)
>
> I agree with you: as long as I can get some greens
> in there every now and then, fruit is the best way
> to go! As I get more and more healthy I find I
> gravitate less and less to vegetables and
> avocados, and I eat a lot less in general. But the
> greens are definitely part of the picture.

Cool...good for you!

F1

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: November 04, 2007 12:00AM

I've only ever used the term vegetarian to indercate that I eat only plant based foods and always thought that the same princepal applied for the term fruitarian.
I'm fairly sure that most non raw foodists as well as half the raws would assume the same so as far as using a term to describe a certain practice goes I would think fruitarian meaning fruit only works prety well.

If most people understand it to mean a certain thing then whats the point in using it to describe something else ?

Date: November 04, 2007 12:23AM

Lightform Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've only ever used the term vegetarian to
> indercate that I eat only plant based foods and
> always thought that the same princepal applied for
> the term fruitarian.
> I'm fairly sure that most non raw foodists as well
> as half the raws would assume the same so as far
> as using a term to describe a certain practice
> goes I would think fruitarian meaning fruit only
> works prety well.
>
> If most people understand it to mean a certain
> thing then whats the point in using it to describe
> something else ?

Your right...and it works because the bulk of your food will be fruits and everything else to your taste.

F1

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: November 07, 2007 07:01AM

i love fruit only cleanses.
i do it for 2-5 days every month.
great way to drop a couple pounds
if you need to, and makes you feel
light and great, enjoy.
dc

Date: November 07, 2007 09:00PM

Thanks mrdc.

I ended up only going 3 days of just fruit, but it really improved my mood and motivation, and afterwards, I was able to digest my greens a lot better than usual.

Doing a fruit cleanse for 2-5 days a month sounds like a very good idea. I might try that. I'm also considering doing 1 day (36 hours) a week of just water and 1 day a week of just fruit.

I've gone through phases when I've water fasted once a week in combination with all raw vegan diet, and I really liked that.

Is there anyone else out there who fasts or cleanses regularly (as opposed to sporadically) in combination with raw vegan diet?

What is your program, and do you have any good tips for keeping it going on a regular basis?

Posted by: brome ()
Date: November 07, 2007 10:08PM

With the addition of grass juice (wheat or wild) to the fruit cleanse, it can be extended for a very long time, perhaps forever. A few other vegetable juices can also help.

Date: November 08, 2007 02:23AM

Thanks brome for your suggestion.

Some people might really like to try that. Wild greens are great. Personally I'm not quite ambitious enough for just fruit and veg juice forever (or even for a long time). smiling smiley

I like the idea though of short high cleanses on a regular schedule, in combination with all raw vegan.

Does anyone else have a more or less regular cleansing schedule in combination with a diet that includes a full range of all raw vegan foods? What is your schedule?

Thanks again Brome for your input!

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: November 08, 2007 12:16PM

I've mono-ed on apples once a month for four months now.
I look forward to it! and I'd do it longer than 3-6 days, except that I don't want to damage myself without a range of nutrients.

Greens sometimes look so good to me, and other times I can't imagine putting them in my mouth. I used to eat brocolli like a lunatic, and since being raw, it makes me a little ill to imagine eating it again.

I don't have space/kitchen for my juicer/blender. So all my veggies are chewed chewed chewed. But nature doesn't juice our leaves for us either. I tend toward carrots, celery, beans, okra (! i lOVE okra!), and lettuce for greens. A question about kale on another thread got me jonesing for a giant kale salad. when I go home for thanksgiving...

I was doing oil pulling, but got bored, didn't see changes, had too much to do in the morning, accidentally swallowed some...yada yada yada.

The Sunday--Wednesday before thanksgiving, I'm going out to stay in the Dunes of Cape Cod (literally, the dunes.). I condsider my time their to be cleansing. THe water coming in and out on both sides, the air moving in off of the ocean, the old friends, the time alone, and I was considering a water fast--but I'm afraid of losing to much weight (even in 4 days...I don't have much to spare here...)

One day a week, I allow myself a day off from studying/writing for my grad program. I don't plan on working and I don't let myself feel guilty either.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Date: November 09, 2007 06:01AM

Sounds really good Shaine. smiling smiley

You look very healthy and beautiful. What you're doing must be working well for you!

My neighbor grows okra and often brings some over, but (confession) I usually end up tossing it. Next time I'll definitely give it a try!

Good for you for planning the mono-apple timeouts and also your study time-outs and then sticking to your plan.

Cape Cod sounds absolutely wonderful and yes, very cleansing. There's something about the ocean that's just so good! Hope you have a fantastic time.

Date: November 10, 2007 06:01AM

Suncloud--
I fast pretty regularly, sometimes for longer periods (1 week to a month) and more often just for a one or two days. I water fasted yesterday for one day. I'm finding lately it's too hard to do long water fasts, so I'm embarking on a new game plan: I'm going to fast one day a week and the rest of the week my goal is to stop eating around 2-3 pm, thus skipping dinner only; either that or skip breakfast and have lunch and dinner, whichever works out best.

I think that intermittent fasting and calorie restriction are so great that I've decided soon I'm going to start a Yahoo group about it, with links to all the various websites that promote these ideas so that people can do the research, try different plans, and make up their own minds how to go about it.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 11, 2007 04:55AM

Hi kwan,

Your plan for the Yahoo group sounds very exciting. Please let us know how it progresses!

I always wanted to fast for 30 or 40 days. There's a spiritual thing about it, and for a raw foodist, it would be kind of like climbing Mt. Everest. smiling smiley

I never could do it though. The longest I've water fasted has been 7 days. I've done that 3 times. But these days it's difficult to put everything aside to fast that long, and the last time I did it (a couple of years ago), I wasn't really thrilled with the results. For one thing, I started getting RLS (restless leg syndrome) during the fast. I'd never had that before. It seems there's a link between RLS and iron deficiency, but if I'm water fasting, there's nothing I can do about it.

Also, I felt like I lost a lot of muscle during the fast. I think it has something to do with my age (57).

I find though that once a week is very rejuvenating. Picks up my mood, motivation...; it really seems to get me going. No RLS. And then if I also add in one fruit-only day, it seems like that could bring me through the week really well.

One day a week adds up to a lot of water fasting. That's 52 days a year! And spread out like that, there could be a lot of benefit combined with all raw food and lots of good exercise.

I'd like to try doing a 15 - 20 mile walk once a week (I'll have to build up to it). I walked 26 miles once and was surprised to find that the benefits seemed equal to a good fast.

Well sister Kwan, best wishes to you, and enjoy!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2007 05:09AM by suncloud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables