Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nuts
Date: November 07, 2007 04:05PM

Fact: When a whole raw nut is soaked, it activates the enzymes, making it a live food or an enzyme active food.

Question: Will the enzymes still activate if the raw nut is not whole (as in... broken, chipped, cracked or sliced)?????

I have not heard this question come up yet, and would love to know the answer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nuts
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 07, 2007 04:25PM

i have yet to read anything at all that proves that foods high in enzymes actually make a difference to our bodies, they are just digested as far as i know. that said, the main purpose for soaking nuts, seeds and grains is to wash away the enzyme inhibitors that coat them and delay sprouting without sufficient moisture. sprouting also increases the nutrient content of seeds, etc as they are "activated" to grow new life. i think soaking broken seeds etc is as effective at washing away enzyme inhibitors though they will not begin to sprout.

Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: November 07, 2007 05:53PM

Nuts become more digestible when their water content is increased -- that's the benefit of soaking or eating nuts directly out of the shell. It has nothing to do with enzyme "inhibitors". Enzymes assist or catalyze all living processes, and they do this for the nut only. When we eat those enzymes, they do not assist digestion. We require different enzymes for that, which healthy bodies produce sufficiently. To answer your question, soaking a broken nut will have the same benefit as if the whole nut were soaked. I don't believe a broken nut will germinate, however.

Regards,
Nora
www.RawSchool.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 07, 2007 07:43PM

nora, do you believe that the enzyme inhibitors on dry nuts do not affect our digestive enzymes then? are they specific to preventing sprouting?

Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: November 08, 2007 03:26AM

Yes and yes. What is said to the contrary is mere speculation, imo.

Kind wishes,
Nora

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables