Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

3 horsepower blender
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: May 05, 2006 11:47PM

For those of you who have purchased a 3-hp blender: was it worth the money? Did you feel any increase in well-being, that you were getting more nutrition from your blended foods and smoothies? Got a little debate going on with the hubby. Would like your opinions. Thanks!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 horsepower blender
Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: May 06, 2006 01:35AM

Yes, Yes, Yes. This is why I purchase my ktec champ blender. Not only is it fast and easy, cleanup is a snap, but it blends foods so fast they don't have a chance to get hot. Of course, I sometimes add a few cubes if I'm blending more than four things, but I'm so glad I own this powerhouse. It begs to be used everyday.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 06, 2006 07:46PM

I have had a Ktec Champ HP3 for about 4 1/2 years. I love the thing. No question.

BUT... I can't blend this week or next because for the third time in 4.5 years the gear thingy got loose and I'm having to mail it back to Utah for them to mail me back a replacement. The good news is that it is under warranty for 8 years, but I would rather have a Vitamix now that I know the Champ breaks so easily. I just would like to have something that does not break easily. I am fortunate I am living in the same place and I purchased it under warranty. Had I bought it used it would have been my tough luck.

Now I just wish I had a backup cheapo blender for when this one is out. winking smiley

Date: May 06, 2006 07:48PM

P.S. If I could only have ONE kitchen appliance in my raw kitchen it would be a high-powered blender. Yes it IS worth it unless you have every kitchen gadget known to man which in that case maybe you don't really need the high-powered blender.

For instance if you have a cheapo blender you could first process veggies in a food processor and then put them with some water and greens, whatever, in the blender and blend for a few minutes at the highest speed and could still make a fairly decent raw soup.

But yes, I give a STRONG vote for high=powered blenders increasing feeling good, health, etc. (along with juicers!).

Date: May 06, 2006 08:23PM

A strong blender such as the Vita-Mix and KTec are essential for a raw food kitchen. The other blenders just will not get the job done. They are worth the extra money.

The KTec / VitaMix have long warranties, 7 years, while the cheap blenders will break down after a year. It is much easier and faster to blend with the Vita / Ktec and they break down the foods more efficiently.

I make versions of Ann Wigmore's energy soup every day. With a cheap blender, it takes me 15 minutes to blend up the soup and I need to add too much water. The soup is chunky and watered down.

With the VitaMix / Ktec, the Energy Soup takes 1 minute and it is completely liquified, no chuncks. I do not need to add extra water to get it blended up. They are quick to clean up as well.

Vita-Mix: [store.TheRawDiet.com]

KTec: [store.TheRawDiet.com]

Mike

Date: May 06, 2006 09:10PM

Mike,

The ktec champ hp3 has an 8 year warranty, while the model it was replaced with, the total blender, has a three year warranty. Either way, I'll always have a blendtec blender in my home. I've tried the rest and, in my opinion, it's the best. Just my opinion of course though.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: May 06, 2006 10:11PM

I have the 2 hp L-equip 228 rpm blender and it has lasted me 5 years now. It only costs around $135. Compared to the Vitamix, the Vitamix outperforms it barely. Heck you can buy almost 4 of these compare to one of Vitamix.
I like the 228 because of the cost, closely performs to the vitamix, metal steel blades--metal to metal teeth (base and blender together) and has a 6 year warranty.
[www.lequip.com]

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: May 06, 2006 10:16PM

I think all three blenders are excellent but the 228 does everything KTec and VitaMix can do. So if you looking for a blender that is powerful but not steep in price then well...228

Date: May 07, 2006 01:33AM

Yes, I've heard nice things about the L-Equip but one thing that you 2hp'ers don't realize is that what takes a 3hp ktec or vitamix seconds to do will take longer on a 2 hp caused the destruction of more enzymes and even the potential for cooking your foods by accident. Where a ktec will turn kale into mush in second the l-quip will be straining because the motor is not as powerful. This results in one being forced to use ice cubes to keep the temp of the food low and prevent the loss of enzymes. Granted, if I mix more than three ingredients into my blender I may toss in a few cubes but this is just because my personal preference is to have everything slightly chilled. However, I've never truly had a need to use ice cubes. If you do a comparison on a 2 hp vs a 3 hp the testimonials and research speak for themselves.

Peace,

Marcos

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: May 09, 2006 01:28AM

Thanks everybody for your input! I also checked out Qigong.com and I'm pretty much convinced that it's going to be worth the $$$ in the long run - health wise, time wise and money wise. Now if I can just convince the hubby! If anyone else out there has experience and advise - please respond. He's kind of a hard sell!!!

Life Is Good!

alive!

ps - I goin' to Phoenix tomorrow to visit my son (24 yrs old). He's the person who introduced me to raw!!! I'm gonna go eat at the Rawsome Cafe every chance I get!!! It's gonna be soooo nice to have someone else not cooking for me!!!

Love to you all and hang in there all you newbies!!!!!

Date: May 09, 2006 06:24PM

It should not be a hard sell...it is VITAL in this day and age, especially if you don't use a juicer (though the blender is much more cost effective, not throwing away good pulp).

Unless you all are taking a really powerful green powder, like Barley Max or AFA bluegreen algae you really need something to masticate greens for you. You can make a raw soup out of a good bunch of greens and drink straight or add other tasty things.

If he won't agree, ask for an allowance to spend on whatever you want and save up the money. If you can.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: May 14, 2006 03:01PM

alive! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm pretty much convinced that
> it's going to be worth the $$$ in the long run -
> health wise, time wise and money wise. Now if I
> can just convince the hubby! If anyone else out
> there has experience and advise - please respond.
> He's kind of a hard sell!!!

If he's willing to to go with you to a natural juice bar or health food store that prepares smoothies/juices on order using a ktec or vitamix, have the store prepare the beverage preferably with the ingredients that he'd like to drink--but don't drink it at the store. Take it home and use the same ingredients in a regular blender. Have him drink both so that he can compare the difference. The taste and texture of sampling them side by side may be all that's needed to win him over. Also by observing while it's being done at the store, he wouldn't be able to say that they probably put additional ingredients to create the smoothness and richness that comes from a high power blender.

Wishing you vibrant health

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables