Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

durien
Posted by: lacombe ()
Date: November 14, 2007 04:20PM

i have been mostly lurking here for several months as i turn my life more and more raw and feeling wonderful as a result. i really have to thank many of you for all the wonderful information that is posted here...this is a fabulous community and a great resource for anyone trying to improve their eating and lifestyle.

there is one question i have though and that concerns durien. i have read many posts of people looking for places to find it here and recently bryan posted some pics of durien. for me, it is the only fruit i have ever tasted that i simply cannot eat...it is disgusting. when we were in thailand i even tried durien ice cream and had to throw it away. if you try and take durien on the plane in thailand they will not let you board because of the smell. is there some property of this fruit i don't know about? do folks here really enjoy the taste? just wondering.

cheers
charlie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: durien
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: November 14, 2007 06:38PM

hi charlie!!!!!!

i have no experience with this, as i have never tried one. people do seem to love it. but just out of curiosity, what does it taste like?

Date: November 14, 2007 06:42PM

I have never had a durien yet. I went to buy one at the asian supermarket by me and I told the chinese lady who owned the store, that I've never had a durien and wondered if I should try it. She spoke in her accent and said, "NO, you won't like, don't buy! Here buy this, you'll like" and she handed me a dragon fruit.

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: November 14, 2007 07:34PM

I love durian. though, the first time I had it, I made the mistake of cutting it open in my tiny little NYC apt. The next morning, I was so nauseated by the refuse --I threw away what was left...taking the effort to throw it out outside, 7 FLOORS DOWN. The onion-garlic taste definitely stays with me a few days. but, once in a while it's a nice treat...and fun to share with out of town friends.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 14, 2007 07:54PM

ugh, the stinky fruit. i'm not a fan. the one time i did manage to get past my gag reflex though my mouth and nose were saying "no no no" but my body kept saying "yes yes yes" and i ate three pieces! that was the first and last time though, i think it's yucky.

Posted by: lacombe ()
Date: November 14, 2007 08:18PM

hi pihourova

nice to hear from you. i don't think i can describe durien any better than shaine and coco did. perhaps best described as an acquired taste.

cheers all
charlie

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: November 14, 2007 08:21PM

I love durian. If it wasn't so expensive I would eat a lot more of it! Although it can be difficult to get good ones, I've had several which didn't taste good. I think I'm slowly learning to tell when they are fully ripe and to be able to choose good ones.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: jan ()
Date: November 14, 2007 11:28PM

I've only tried it once But to me it was good! but I like the taste of wheatgrass!
I didn't smell the durien, someone walked over and handed me a piece of it.
Jan

www.myspace.com/greeneyedvegangirl
GO VEGAN!

Posted by: rankdurian ()
Date: November 15, 2007 12:10AM

It's kind of disgusting ... thev taste, the texture, and the smell.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: November 15, 2007 05:35AM

I don't think I've ever encountered a fruit that has such a love - hate response in people.

The first time I smelled durian I was not inclined to go near it, but over time I noticed the pleasure it gave my friends and I began to taste it.

Then I met a raw friend who spent time in Southeast Asia healing herself from severe weight loss. Durian became a passion for her and she credits it for the big part it brought to her recovery, as it was the only food she craved.

Slowly I succumbed to the "king of fruits". I haven't traveled abroad to taste them fresh yet, but that is a possibility for the future. They can be found fresh here and there in the U.S. I've only eaten the frozen ones and lately my friends who bring them back from the San Francisco Bay Area have picked some really good ones, creamy and without the unpleasant strong aroma. They are the Monthong variety.

I don't eat a lot of them and affectionately call them a recreational drug, as they produce quite a strong pleasurable effect. Durian Bliss!

Here's a website for the curious: Durian Palace. The site's author has some descriptions of the various varieties. There's even a bunch of durian links, the funniest of which is about the success of durian flavored condoms in Indonesia and the trouble another company got into for advertising the flavored condoms in Thailand smiling smiley

Always enjoy these durian threads.

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: November 15, 2007 10:30AM

thanks uti! cool post!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables