Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

55% of the calories in human milk come from fat, of which 48% is saturated fat
Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: November 16, 2007 07:22AM

I was looking up human milk in a nutrient database (to find out it's protein content, which BTW is 1.03g in every 100g) and I noticed that it is high in saturated fats: 55% of the calories in the milk come from fats and 48% of those fats are saturated fats.

[www.personaldietplanner.com]

Now it also contains 14mg of cholesterol in a 100g sample, so using the nutritional analysis of human milk as a clue as to what the ideal human diet would be, might be flawed, but it does seem though that humans have the capacity to utilize large amounts of fat and might even need healthy saturated fats - like coconut, which is always being knocked for having saturated fats.

Just wondering what 80/10/10 books might say about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 55% of the calories in human milk come from fat, of which 48% is saturated fat
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 16, 2007 07:42AM

The needs of a baby are quite different than an adult. If human adults where to have the growth percentages found in infants, we would be huge (and this of course translates to fat). Remember, a baby needs to go from 8-9 pounds to over 100 pounds over the course of 18 years or so. If you or I were to gain 90 pounds over the next 18 years of our life, would that really serve our health?

Also, I wonder what the fat percentages of the milk of women who eat a low fat raw vegan diet? A typical SAD woman is eating 40% fat (actually, based on the pregnant women I have known and how chunky they got during their pregancies, probably more fat than that), and this has to be reflected in her milk.

Re: 55% of the calories in human milk come from fat, of which 48% is saturated fat
Posted by: karriebean ()
Date: November 16, 2007 10:03AM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Also, I wonder what the fat percentages of the
> milk of women who eat a low fat raw vegan diet? A
> typical SAD woman is eating 40% fat (actually,
> based on the pregnant women I have known and how
> chunky they got during their pregancies, probably
> more fat than that), and this has to be reflected
> in her milk.

great point

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 16, 2007 03:43PM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The needs of a baby are quite different than an
> adult. If human adults where to have the growth
> percentages found in infants, we would be huge

no kidding. gigantor.

i can't believe how quickly this small one grows. she doubled in the first couple of months. Doubled! wow. she's not a chubby baby either, a bit chunky in the thigh (*love*) but not super fat like some wee ones.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 21, 2007 02:43AM

Here's a response to this question from Doug Graham (more about the need for fat rather than saturated fat):

Subject: Re: Protein and Fat Question(s)
Date: November 20, 2007 at 1:47 am PST
In Reply to: Protein and Fat Question(s) posted by Ian on November 19, 2007 at 8:47 pm:

Babies cannot plan their diet, and have exceptionally small capacity
for eating volume. Fat fits their needs well in this regard.

Babies cannot exercise, in fact, they barely move. Their
carbohydrate requirements are relatively low, so higher fat works
for them.

Babies have issues with staying warm. Cold and babies do not go
well together. Eating a higher percentage of calories from fat helps
babies stay warm.

Protein is for growth. Fat is used in the development of the central
and peripheral nervous system, which is nowhere near fully
developed when the child is born. Babies need the fat to finish the
development of their brain and nervous system.

I hope this helps.
Dr D

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 21, 2007 03:02AM

that's all terrific except for this part

"Babies cannot exercise, in fact, they barely move"

someone tell that to my little one please. her knickname is squirmer for a reason. i swear that child moves more than the kittens and they Never stop!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 21, 2007 05:50AM

Lillianswan,

You stated the following:"...humans have the capacity to utilize large amounts of fat and might even need healthy saturated fats - like coconut, which is always being knocked for having saturated fats..."

I saw two books at a health food store recently ones was "The Maker's diet".
[www.makersdiet.com]
The other was the coconut cures
[books.google.com].

The maker's diet isn't vegan, so perhaps I shouldn't mention it. But it does mention coconut oil as being a good fat. They went as far as to say that certain saturated fats help the body to process vitamins and minerals. For instance calcium and lauric acid are supposed to help form bones.

Coconut cures goes quite in depth about the benefits of eating coconut and coconut oil. It almost seems to go overboard about the health benefits, making it seem like a cure all. Its possible that it has many benefits, I never researched any of its claims.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: November 24, 2007 08:21AM

Thanks, Bryan, for the info from Doug, it's great to hear what he thinks. I did figure that babies had different nutritional needs, just like they also have the milk digesting enzyme that older children don't have. I'm not suggesting that anyone eat like a baby with 55% fat, it was just interesting to see all that saturated fat content in milk when saturated fat has such a bad rep.
I'm guessing, though, that the high fat content isn't because of "contamination" from a high-fat diet, otherwise I would also expect the protein content of the milk to also show evidence of contamination and be more than 5%, since a typical high fat person is also going overboard on protein.

Mislu
That coconut book link was awesome, I liked the study of the islanders who got 30-60% of their calories from coconut and had heart disease rates 280 times less than someone on a western diet, wow!

Posted by: daisyduke ()
Date: November 24, 2007 12:25PM

This is an interesting thread! Thanks for the posts!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables