Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

question about WLS and protein
Posted by: fmsing40 ()
Date: November 26, 2007 06:20AM

Hi everyone,

I am new. I have another question. I have two sisters that have had the lap-band procedure. Why is it that they are losing weight when all they eat is protein shakes and meat and eggs? They hardly ever eat fruit or even vegetables for that matter. One sister has lost over 175 lbs.

It's very confusing to me. If you go to www.obesityhelp.com website they tell you that you have to have all that protein for healing.

Protein is 95% of what everyone on that site eats. Is raw going to work for me? My diabetes is out of control and I don't want to have WLS.

I have recently tried a gluten-free and sugar free diet. I haven't been tested for Celiac disease but my IBS went away since I eliminated wheat from my diet. Will drinking wheatgrass be ok to do?

I am a all or nothing person. I don't want to ease into raw. I want to wake up tomorrow and be raw and that is what I am going to do. Thank-you, fmsing40

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question about WLS and protein
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 26, 2007 06:58AM

If you don't eat enough calories to maintain your weight, you will lose weight. Anyone who has had surgery to reduce their stomach size is eating less than they used to eat. Eat 50% of what you need to maintain your weight, and even if it is an unhealthy set of food choices, you will still lose weight.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 26, 2007 08:03AM

what is lap band procedure? what is wls?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 26, 2007 08:34AM

Check out [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: November 26, 2007 09:06AM

Wheat grass is not a problem if you are avoiding gluten. Gleten is in the wheat kernel, not in the grass.

Also, a raw diet was beneficial to my diabetes.... I easily lost weight, without even trying, and my blood sugars went down. I've found that if I eat raw, I can eat whatever I want.

I was raw for about 8 months, then lost it while preparing for my daughter's wedding. I totally fell off the wagon.... and the results to my health were dramatic. After collapsing and ending up in ICU with high blood sugar, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and everything else you can think of... I am back to raw. I think it's the best treatment for diabetes!

I'd wish you good luck... but it's not luck, it's living deliberately!

KathyT

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: November 26, 2007 01:45PM

I think the reason so many people do well on high-protein, low carb is that it's still healthier than the SAD diet they were eating before. For me, I've always eaten reasonably healthy, so when I did Atkins I actually gained weight & cellulite in my butt & thighs which I thought was totally gross, and I lost weight in my breasts. I did however experience some health benefits from cutting out sugar & processed carbs, which in my opinion are the worst culprits in the western diet.

On raw I lost weight in my waist & thighs and gained some breast size. To me one of the best benefits of raw is getting an ideal, sexy body shape.

That sexiness factor is one of my favorite things about the raw diet.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 26, 2007 09:38PM

One of the women I used to work with had a lap band put in. She was eating much healthier. It wasn't high raw but more like healthy cooked mostly vegetarian with some raw. Her doc told her that plant proteins would be easier for her to digest than animal proteins. I thought it was very cool that she was so interested in vegetarianism, mostly she was alternating salads with protein/fruit shakes. About 50% raw by volume, still high protein but this was with highly reduced calories. Way better than her "before" diet.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: November 26, 2007 10:12PM

Sunshine79 I am so glad you wrote what you did. While I have slimmed down considerably (I wasn't even heavy before) I noticed my bra cups filling up better than they had been. I thought it was my imagination. I mean how I could I lose weight in hips, thighs, and butt but gain in my breasts? Anyway, it must be related.

I agree that going raw has given me a very nice shape without any extraordinary exercise.

Patty

Posted by: Weezo ()
Date: November 26, 2007 11:28PM

sewraw and Sunshine... same here, I didn't loose weight initially but my whole body reshaped, with more slender waist and limbs, with a perkier (not fatter though), but and bigger bosom! I just look healthier overall and my cellulite has gone down quite a bit (used to have some on my butt!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables