Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sugar intolerance (sugarholic!)
Posted by: gary ()
Date: November 27, 2007 10:12AM

For several years now I've had a problem with sugar...

If eat a large enough portion I will have a reaction that consists of sore eyes, head ache, poor concentration / memory, irratability, and sometimes diarreah. It usually starts a couple of days after the sugar binge and lasts for maybe four or five days. So far, it seems that fruit sugar doesn't create the same problem but I don't eat huge amounts of fruit so I'm not certain.

I used to eat a lot of sugar in the past (cakes, biscuits, sweet buns etc), and I think it has caused my hay fever too.

Obviously I avoid sugar wherever I can but I'm also a Serious SUGARHOLIC. I find it very hard sometimes, especially if I am away from home and quality foods are harder to find.

I've heard this problem can be caused by a pancreas problem. i.e insuffient sucrase production.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to tackle this problem the raw vegan way? Can I strengthen my pancreas somehow? Any advice about my sugar addiction?

Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sugar intolerance (sugarholic!)
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 27, 2007 12:09PM

I was a big sugar fan. I ate lots of dates....and dehydrated stuff....during my transition period. I transitioned very slowly.....to a vegetarian....then a vegan....then 1/3 raw.....then 2/3 raw.....then 99% raw.....then all raw....over about 1-2 years. Now things are great. I eat plenty of fruit.......and the body DOES eventually switch over from 'fast' acting refined sugars and carbs....to 'slow' acting fruit sugars. These are just my experiences.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Re: Sugar intolerance (sugarholic!)
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: November 28, 2007 05:15AM

ooh Gary you have to read the book Sugar Blues. I used to love sugar, and knew about the book long before I read it - I guess I just had to get fed up enough with not being able to resist sugar in order to actually feel motivated to read it (the book far exceeded my expectations, I had no idea what a great story I was missing out on). But somehow my mind still always knew that book would be my ticket out of sugar addiction, and it was. The coolest thing about the book is that it's not a health & nutrition book, per se - it is a history book. There's no diet advice given, no nutritional guidelines. It's simply the fascinating & sordid history of sugar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables