Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Blood sugar 94
Posted by: fmsing40 ()
Date: November 30, 2007 04:38AM

Today is day four for me. My blood sugar has dropped to 94. That is the lowest it has been in three years even with medicine. It has been running anywhere from 150 to over 200.

I am eating all the things I was told not to eat. Yesterday I had a half of baby watermelon, 1 pound of greens, apples, raw spagetti made with zucchinni and tomatoes. Whenever I get a craving for regular food I just eat my version of it raw. Praise be to God!

fmsing40

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blood sugar 94
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: November 30, 2007 07:39AM

That is so good to hear.

My brother was just diagnosed with diabetes this year and I wish he would start eating raw. He's depending on the meds to treat his diabetes. He hasn't made ANY lifestyle changes much to the family's annoyance.

Congrats and keep up the good work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2007 07:40AM by roxeli.

Date: November 30, 2007 08:13PM

Roxeli- Thank-you for the encouraging words.

fmsing40

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: November 30, 2007 09:21PM

fmsing40 - Do you also have diabetes?

My 22 year old niece has type 1 diabetes. She didn't find out till she was a teenager. I worry about her alot because she doesn't take car of her self at all (smoking, drinking, junk food) and she always ends up in the hospital. I wish she would go raw but I know that wont happen.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: November 30, 2007 10:27PM

That's so fantastic, fmsing40!!! May you continue to eat in a way that allows your body to heal itself and may you inspire many more people to give raw a chance!

Lots of love to you,

Gypsy

Posted by: jan ()
Date: November 30, 2007 11:56PM

Thats great! Theres a gentleman who shops at Glaciers and he has completely turned his diabetes around!
Keep up the good work!

Date: December 01, 2007 05:00AM

Workoutman- I do have diabetes, type 2. I was diagnoised three years ago. I'm 41 now. Eating the diabetic diet the doctor put me on did nothing for my sugar levels. I even cut out all bread and potatoes. The only thing that got my numbers down was walking. But walking never brought my numbers as low as raw is doing.

Date: December 01, 2007 05:01AM

Thank-you Jan and Gypsy.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 01, 2007 05:54AM

fmsing,
thats great! I had people tell me that eating a lot of fruit would cause diabetes, it doesn't sound like it. I read that it does the opposite, but apparently alot of people still believe in old information. At one point I actually suggested certain fruits to an ex-boss, and he said the fruit spikes his blood sugar up. I said even apples, cucumbers, pears? Those have low numbers on the glycemic index.

I think he just doesn't want to change his habits. Even though he seemed to not like what he was told to eat, or what he says controls his blood sugar. Mostly cooked cabbage, or steamed veggies. He always made a face before eating it. His favorite day was sunday, as that is the day he has a regular meal with mashed potatoes, or white rice and meat. It would take several days for his blood sugar to go down.

During the holidays he usually just went all out, and pretty much got syrup for blood. I don't know what doctors tell people, but it doesn't seem right. Of course they could be just telling people according to what they were taught, and what information the client can take for his/her lifestyle.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: December 02, 2007 04:45AM

fmsing40,

Congradulations! That is great to hear!! You must feel ecstatic!!!! I didn't know it but I had pre-type 2 diabetes for probably 10 years and I just needed to eat more raw greens - blend up a few bunches each day, and been drinking alfalfa/red raspberry leaf/hibiscuis tea religiously. What a difference. The greens totally take away cravings for naughty stuff like chocolate and milk for me.

"I don't know what doctors tell people, but it doesn't seem right. Of course they could be just telling people according to what they were taught, and what information the client can take for his/her lifestyle."

People don't want to hear that they have to make drastic lifestyle changies, especially the raw food diet. It ostracizes them so much from a culture where eating junk food is part of office parties, family gatherings, friendships... it's just too hard a change for most people - they would actually rather do the insulin! Not me! After the dr's told my friend's Mom, "Oh yeah your toes might just randomly fall off," and they did... right in the bathtub one day. I decided no insulin for me. Freaky!

Those who really want to know will find out on their own... I think it just takes something serious to happen to wake people up to the reality of the alternate!

-Angie

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: December 18, 2007 03:39AM

fmsing40,

Congratulations and a big THANK YOU!

I read your post to a friend with diabetes. I've been telling him about raw for a few years but your message really did the trick, because he's been having those readings on meds, too. Thank you thank you thank you for posting it.

Anyhow, after reading your post, my friend came over to learn how to make some raw dishes. We made green smoothies, a sunflower pate, zucchini pasta and sauce, and a garlicky creamy dressing with cashews, and grated veggies. His wife came when we were done for lunch. We had green smoothies, finger salads (grated veggies and sunflower pate wrapped in romaine leaves), a little zucchini pasta in sauce, and for dessert I had made a cheescake. All raw of course. They loved every bite and tonight my friend called to tell me that his blood sugar was 109 a couple of hours after that meal; usually it has been about 180 after a meal. He was thrilled and they are both going to do a serious raw trial after the holidays. Now they're including the green smoothies in their diet and feeling better for it.

By the way, at lunch while they were raving about how good everything tasted, I asked the question, if they brought any of the dishes to a potluck - the pasta, the cheesecake, etc. -- did they think anyone would notice they were raw? They said no. This is a big deal because a lot of the social event here are pot lucks. You can stay raw if you bring a dish you can eat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2007 03:49AM by greenie.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: December 18, 2007 03:50PM

Congratulations, fmsing40! I love to read encouraging stories about other people with diabetes on raw food. Even though I have Type 1 and you have (and soon to be 'had', hopefully :-) ) Type 2, we can both relate to how much better we feel when our blood sugars are more normal and that what the traditional doctors recommend we eat doesn't work at all.

greenie mentioned sunflower pate. I recently discovered and love this stuffed tomatoes recipe [www.rawfoodwiki.org] that is stuffed with a sunflower pate. I've taken them to a couple of gatherings and they go over real well. So, I am now a big fan of sunflower pate also!

fmsing40, I love raw zucchini (or yellow squash) pasta and sauce. It is so easy to make, with a saladacco, and makes me feel like I am eating real pasta (which I used to love!). The raw food substitutes are so much better, aren't they?

Keep it up, it is so worth it!

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Date: December 18, 2007 04:54PM

karennd,

I just love making raw foods for my friends and seeing (and hearing!) their reactions. They are so blown away by how fantastic everything tastes, I feel like some sort of magician.

It's amazing to me how the medical profession keeps believing in the remedies they've been prescribing that don't work. Such as the ones for diabetes. When within almost no time at all on a raw diet, type 2 diabetes is pretty well gone. In the case of my friend who has had uncontrollable diabetes for 7 years, his blood sugar was normal after one meal.

Thank you for the link to the recipe. Looks just lovely. Can't wait for tomato season to come back.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: December 18, 2007 06:20PM

I admire you for spreading the word, greenie. Yes, Type 2 is so reversible and it's sad that people don't realize that sometimes.

There is so much variety in what you can eat with raw foods, that it is hard to pick. I even treated myself to a Rawvolution box this week. It should arrive today. I can't wait to try their raw foods!

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Posted by: Shann ()
Date: December 18, 2007 06:33PM

Congrats on the good news!

This was really timely for me as I was diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" this year. I just started my raw journey. My whole family has type 2 diabetes, and many other illnesses..we are all overweight. I will take your good news as a sign to me that I am on the right path :>winking smiley

Date: December 18, 2007 06:38PM

That's great news, Shann. Good luck on your raw journey.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 01, 2008 04:43PM

WorkoutMan,

That is pretty bad for your niece, the smoking and such. How long has she had type 1? My husband is 28 years old, had type one for almost 18 years, his only hospitalization was for his inital diagnoses, he's been a vegetarian for 7 years now (my influence I'm proud to say!) and we occassionally go all raw for a few months at a time, we are trying again starting today. When he goes raw, he feels better and his sugars are more stable, athough he still needs to take insulin (at a reduced dosage).
Take care and I hope that your niece settles down. I know a guy who was a type one who died in college because he was not good to his body.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 02, 2008 12:54AM

Way to go fmsing40!!!

My story is the same...diagnosed with T2...on meds until I went raw...now perfect blood and no meds.

wouldn't it be nice...I sure wish I had a friend like Greenie that loved to make raw dishes for their friends smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables