Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

banana mono fast?
Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: December 02, 2007 01:48AM

has anyone ever tried this?

i have noticed how inexpensive bananas are. also no chopping or storing, just peeling.

i am afraid of blood sugar spikes, so i have not tried this yet.

i still think bananas are "fattening"

any experiences?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: banana mono fast?
Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: December 02, 2007 02:58AM

They're not fattening, they're one of the most low fat fruits available.

They ARE dense in calories, but that is different from being fattening.

I tried this for 8 days. My husband did for a few more than me.

I felt clean, easy, simple, it really helped me get a handle on some food addictions.

I think you would pretty much get similar experiences from doing a mono-diet of ANY fruit though...but I like bananas as a mono diet when I have to be active.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: December 02, 2007 04:01AM

thank you sara

i appreciated your reply and i clicked on the link to your website/blog?

very interesting, i too am experiancing hair loss, tho no one else is noticing,

because i have very thick long blonde hair.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: December 02, 2007 05:43AM

pineapple girl, a low thyroid can cause hair loss. Migth be worth checking....

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: December 02, 2007 11:03AM

I did a one day banana fast when I got some really, really ripe bananas cheap. I had the most energy ever that day and felt great. I think I consumed close to 16 bananas in that 24-hour period.

Patty

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: December 02, 2007 11:35AM

Banana's are good for mono

I tend to get on better with juicy fruits tho

Did a lot of melon during the summer

Now doing a clementines during the week 1-2kg per day smiling smiley yummy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2007 11:35AM by rawdanceruk.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 02, 2007 12:31PM

Remember the REAL power of a fast - it's what you're NOT eating! LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: December 02, 2007 10:19PM

"Remember the REAL power of a fast - it's what you're NOT eating! LOL. "

oh so true, i sometimes forget the logic of that!

sometimes i just try to simplify my life, i get so overwhelmed.

and i need to start spending less, bananas are so cheap!

how easy would it be, to be like everyone else at my place of work, they eat cheaply and mindlessly,

how easy would it be to be like them and just drive thru mcdonald's or burger king after work? yuch

i am so tired after work sometimes, but i still must get my fresh food, so i will go to trader joes and buy a few bags of organic romaine that is washed and chopped.

it just seems that maybe to sit down after work and peel bananas...how lazy of me

Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 02, 2007 11:05PM

Hi Pineapple Girl,

Uma posted a thread of her mono banana experience last winter on the Rawschool forum that may be of interest to you. Here's the link: MY BANANA WEEK

The only time I have had blood sugar spikes you referred to was when I was still processing a previous high fat meal.

They are one of my favorite mono meals. I commute around a lot in my rural area and they are a great driving food. No dishes to wash unless I make a big bowl of banana ice cream from frozen bananas run through a champion juicer, my popcorn replacement for watching a video.

I haven't hit my stride with bananas yet this fall. So far with my raw food experience they have been a staple item to get me through the cold wet winters. Lately the ones I've been getting haven't been tasting so sweet when fully ripe. Also I'm spoiled after my experience of the different varieties of bananas in Costa Rica last winter - very yummmm!. What I get in my area tends to be mostly the Cavendish variety that ships and keeps so well. Later in the winter we'll see some red and fingerling varieties, or if I travel down to the San Francisco Bay area I can find more banana varieties.

Date: December 03, 2007 12:32AM

oh uti, thank you for the link and your responses.

"I make a big bowl of banana ice cream from frozen bananas run through a champion juicer, my popcorn replacement for watching a video."

how cute is that, i just had to laugh...i miss chowing down on paul newmans organic no salt fat free microwave popcorn! so good and yet soooo bad!

its one of the few grains i will occasionally allow myself maybe once a year, (and then regret it). i hate all grains, i call it cattle fattening feed-stuff!

Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 03, 2007 01:00AM

Pineapple Girl,

Thanks for making me smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

Well I don't miss that popcorn or those Bearitos organic taco chips too much. I'm sure I ingested more than my share! I did enjoy corn again last summer, picking super sweet bicolor corn and eating it right in the field before I could get back to the house. One of the simple joys of living on a farm.

Just to tease you further with the banana ice cream: here's how I have fun with it.
I keep some frozen berries or other fruit pieces in the freezer and feed them into the Champion between bananas to produce a swirl of different flavor. I grind up some vanilla beans in a mini blender, sprinkled the powdered bean on a dish and rolled the frozen bananas in it before they go into the Champion to make raw vanilla bean ice cream. The latest bomb that I got from Uma is a sauce of fresh dates blended with a little water. Uma likes figgy sauce too.

Hard to imagine that something so simple can be so good and healthy too! Have fun!

Posted by: uma ()
Date: December 03, 2007 06:25AM

I had a good experience doing this last year. I found bananas to feel really balancing. I would like to do it again this year, but I'll probably wait until later in the winter, after persimmon season is over and before mangos are available. Right now I'm about to do some serious persimmon munching.

Love,
uma

Date: December 04, 2007 04:29AM

wow, thanks uti for the link. uma, i almost started a banana mono today, when i got off of work and went to whole foods.

and i saw all those very cheap and ripe organic bananas and thought wow, what filling and easy dinner that would be.

but my mouth just was not craving sweet sugary bananas, they are almost candy!

i was drawn to a pile of organic ripe red slicer tomatoes, huge ones, bought six of them, came home and could not rinse/slice and eat them quick enuf (i need to slow down!)

but after reading the banana thread of yours, i am more intrigued than ever!

especially since you have bought every persimon in No.Cal. winking smiley

actually i saw some beautiful looking organic persimons in the organic fruits section at Safeway the other day.(imagine that!)

i just didnt know what to make of them, never tried one

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables