Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

why do we crave what we crave?
Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: December 02, 2007 10:26PM

like for instance,

i get intense cravings for green, like romaine or spinach. and when i satisfy this craving i feel so good.

yesterday i got my old craving back for: raw cauliflower! i crave this sometimes so intensly.

i bought a few heads of raw cauliflower and just rinsed them and ate them plain and raw, and i felt so good.

i wonder if it is because my body is needing minerals or what?

one day at work i was having a green craving, so at lunch i went to whole foods,

and bought a plastic container of pre-washed organic romaine hearts.

i was crunching them down back at work at my desk, co-workers thought i was so weird, the were like "why are you eating that, are you on a diet? how weird, hey everyone look, she is eating plain lettuce, how weird, arent you going to at least put some ranch dressing on that?"

whatever...but anyway, i crave things like green food and lately, raw cauliflower.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why do we crave what we crave?
Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 02, 2007 11:40PM

My staple green has been romaine lettuce heads or bags of hearts since becoming raw. I just recently had a strong attraction to some beautiful dark greens that I hadn't had since I stopped eating eating them regularly cooked. At that time I was experiencing some skin problems and someone suggested more dark leafy greens, so I added kale and seaweeds back into my diet. I've been loving them and my skin has improved in the past month, probably as result of this and other suggestions I received.

I also eat cauliflower on occasion. I use it to make "raw rice" to use on Nori rolls. I just pulse the separated cauliflower florets with some soaked chia seeds in a food processor and voila', sticky rice!

I believe these "cravings" come from two places: a mind-memory-preference place of past experiences and the body asking for a nutrient it needs in the moment. The trick is learning to tell the difference; the former comes from the past and the later is in the present.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 03, 2007 02:39AM

I agree with Uti. In any event, set your goals...and give in to cravings....unless you feel they are interfering with your goals.

-No goals = no true motivation to avoid anything bad - or pursue anything good.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 03, 2007 03:39AM

cuz your body wwants it
simple

esp with greens
my body always wants greens

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: December 03, 2007 04:49PM

Wow, you have such healthy cravings, pineapple girl, so I would definitely listen to them. Your body wants those nutrients.

When I saw this topic I thought it would be about someone having a craving for chocolate or hamburger or something. ;-)

Uti, thanks for telling us how to make raw rice - that sounds great! How long do you soak the chia seeds and do you drain them before putting them in the food processor with the cauliflower?

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables