Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Persimmon Feasting
Posted by: uma ()
Date: December 03, 2007 04:24AM

So, I just went out this weekend and swept the bay area clean of persimmons. Well, not quite. But I did pick up several boxes worth. I decided it might be fun and feel good to do some mono persimmon eating. I have felt so great in the past with mono diets, and persimmons are going off right now.

Of course, it would kind of be a duo-diet? dual-diet? bi-diet??, not a mono-diet, because I'd be eating fuyus and hachiyas!

My intention is to start sometime in the next few days, and go for however long it shows up to do (a few days or longer). If anyone else is interested in this or any other mono diet starting soon, we could support each other.

Love,
Uma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Persimmon Feasting
Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: December 03, 2007 09:28AM

Uma

I have been eating a lot of persimmons lately but I like to wait until they are really soft I bought a 10 kilo box last week only have 2 kilos left waiting to get ripe.
Yesterday I went to the fruit market and did not even get off my bike and one of the vendors came over and said they had some ripe ones they know i like them like that so I bought 3 kilos of ripe persimmons at about half price went home and had a feast allday soooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooood.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 03, 2007 03:43PM

Persimmons here are $2 and up, and not in very good shape, so I've only had one in my life! A persimmon mono-diet sounds like heaven.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: December 03, 2007 04:55PM

I've been buying persimmons for 69cents per lbs in the past weeks but now they get greenish spots on them. I guess it is mold :O I peeled the rest I got really good and won't buy any anymore unless they get a fresh batch or something in.
At a different store I saw some looking muuuuch nicer but for $2 per lbs so I didn't get any.

Posted by: Weezo ()
Date: December 03, 2007 06:26PM

mmmm... sounds yummy, I found my first persimmons at an Asian produce market near me the other day... enjoy your mono diet!

Date: December 04, 2007 02:07AM

Just got done eating 14 persimmons but that wasn't enough for the day will have to go look for some more in the market later .
They were very sweet and tasty.

Cherimoya

Date: December 04, 2007 03:29AM

Thanks for your support y'all! Cherimoya, that is funny, they see you coming at the market and give you ripe fruit. Where do you live anyway? Lemoned, that's a good price you got.

I live 4 hours north of SF, where persimmons are pretty pricey, but I was in SF this weekend and at the farmers market I managed to buy a few boxes for a great deal. Plus I was gifted some from a friend's trees. So I figured, the universe is smiling upon me chowing down on the little orange friends! I too like the persimmons really soft, even the fuyus, which several of my friends prefer more crunchy. I have several boxes waiting around until they reach the desired feel. But finally I was able to find some almost tree-ripened ones.

I realized the other day that the equivalent of a diamond ring to one person or a fancy car to another person, in terms of desire and value to the consumer--to me is an orchard of ripe fruit!!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: December 04, 2007 03:59AM

uma,

I love your new photo. There's something cozy about the blue glow on you and the smile too.

This fall I've just discovered persimmons myself. All I'd ever done before was bake cookies w/ them one year. Who knew you could eat them plain like a ... like a fruit!

I too went to a farmer's market out of town last weekend and bought some. But I only have a few or I'd join you on your feast. I sure hope you enjoy.

Kit

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: December 04, 2007 04:07AM

i have never had a persimmon in my life, i dont know how to choose one or how

eat one, does it have a pit?

hmmm...would like to join you, but seeing as how you have entirely cleared the

bay area out of all persimmons! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2007 04:10AM by pineapple girl.

Date: December 04, 2007 09:13AM

Uma,

I am living in the north of Thailand and most of the persimmons are coming in by boat from Southern China about a 9 hour boat ride from the main port on the Mekong where all the Fruits come and go back and forth Thai fruits and Chinese but the only Chineses fruits I eat are the persimmons this time of year.
I did go back to the market and bought some more and will go and pick up another box tommorrow the price is starting to go down because they are in Season now.
I have a lot of papayas that are getting ripe so I will wait for the persimmons to ripen up before I eat them and start to eat a lot of papayas.
I agree with you on the orchard of sweet tasting fruit it is the best luxury around in my book.

Cherimoya

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: December 04, 2007 01:31PM

I am soo jealous!
I can't find organic persimmons anywhere - the only ones I can find in my area (wales, uk) are Sharon fruits - which are chemically sprayed to speed up the ripening process.

My local healthfood shop actually had some organic ones in for 2 days - and then they were gone - and there are no more!

It makes me so sad that I am deprived of those gorgeous little fruits - sob sob sob!! : )

anyone fancy posting me some ? ; )

Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: December 04, 2007 05:58PM

Azura,
I'm out this year but next year I hope to have a website from which it will be possible to order persimmons. I sold 1,100 pounds this year to raw fooders near and far. When my new site launches, I'll post here.
Cheers,
Nora
www.RawSchool.com

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: December 04, 2007 07:47PM

Excellent - will be interested in looking at that : )

but in the meantime, my mother found a store that sells organic persimmons! It's quite far away, but at least I know they exist someplace!
So can't wait for the few she bought me to ripen up so I can feast!!

Date: December 05, 2007 04:28AM

I hadn't eaten a persimmon before a few years ago myself. Isn't it funny how few fruits most of us are brought up with? I had never eaten a fresh fig either until a few years ago. Now I'm called Fig Lady.

Pineapple girl: There are 2 main kinds. Fuyus are round and kind of flat like a tomato shape, and can be eaten kind of hard although they are yummy soft as well. Many people like them crunchy like an apple. I don't consider them ripe enough for me unless I can at least dent them when I squeeze my fingers into them.

Hachiyas are a totally different animal. They are longer and come to a point at hte end. They are an astringent type which means if you eat them before they are TOTALLY ripe, you will get a nasty, astringent, chalky taste in your mouth which will make you think you don't like hachiyas. I've seen this happen all too often because most people don't know to wait until the hachiyas are REALLY soft. The first point I consider them ripe is when they are super jiggly like a water balloon. After that, they eventually start dehydrating and the skin gets wrinkly and they get even sweeter. YUM! A great hachiya is quite a blissful eating experience.

Kit: thanks for the photo compliment. I like the blue glow too, I'm not sure what caused it. As you might notice, that's me just sitting at my iMac playing with the Photo Booth program. Here was the runner up:

Love,
Uma

Date: December 05, 2007 04:33AM

Cherimoya: I had never thought before about Thailand importing fruit from China. That is cool, because it means you can live in the tropics but still have access to more temperate fruit. Sweet. Thailand is such a great place for fruit. I particularly adore durian and dragon fruit. Hopefully you are a durian fan since you live in such an excellent place to consume it! Do you live in the Chiang Mai area?

Love,
Uma

Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 05, 2007 05:25AM

uma Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------->
Kit: thanks for the photo compliment. I like the
> blue glow too, I'm not sure what caused it. As you
> might notice, that's me just sitting at my iMac
> playing with the Photo Booth program. Here was the
> runner up:

Uma,
I thought you might have bitten into an unripe Hachiya in that photo, so I thought I'd have my own experience too.

Love from Uti

Posted by: m ()
Date: December 05, 2007 06:33PM

yay for persimmons!!!!

they are my second favorite fruit on earth...next to figs, of course! uma...i'm called the fig lady in these parts too! smiling smiley

cheers uti and uma! i've just eaten 8 of those babies for breakfast....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

much love and a hug,
m.

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: December 05, 2007 09:50PM

OMG, you guys are so freakin funny!!! uti: love the pic.

ok, so i went back to my Safeway to find that these beautiful persimmons were like $2.50 each (more or less).

jeez, to be satisfied i would need to at least eat like 10 in one day....

i didnt buy them, i saw organic bananas for 79 cents a pound.

i didnt get the bananas either.

i just decided to not eat any solid food, but i did buy some organic leeks of which i am now cooking down to drink as a broth tonight. (yes, yes, i know, cooking...but sometimes i crave a broth)

along with some weird beer i found, something called "unworthy bastard" or something like that.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: December 05, 2007 09:59PM

I love permissions!! yummy...

I cant tear myself away from a mental clementine feast tho atm.. sadly I am down to my last 3kg sad smiley gutted!

Posted by: brome ()
Date: December 05, 2007 10:43PM

For a persimmon to be ripe all the inside must be clear, any cloudy portions are unripe and bitter. After finding that persimmons that have been cut open and left out to ripen, not only ripened just fine but actually had improved flavor, I now cut open all of them and then let them ripen exposed to the air. They will form a dry film as the exposed inside dries and you can easily see if it is all clear and ripe.

Also I freeze alot of them, just after they soften up alot (but without the open air treatment). Upon thawing they are all perfect without a trace of bitterness.

Posted by: Rawmichelle ()
Date: December 05, 2007 11:06PM

Hi and thanks for the info on persimmons. Uma, i had 2 hachiyas sitting out for about 3 weeks and i thought they were ready to eat...well i cut it open, took a bite and UGH...the nasty astringent chalky taste!! I guess it needed another couple of weeks?? But yeah, persimmons ROCK!!! Lately, i have been adding them to my green smoothies...really nice!!!
Rawmichelle

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: December 06, 2007 01:25AM

Hachiyas are so unpredictable. That chalky taste is the WORST. I just had two fuyus for dinner and they were perfectly overripe and delicious. I wish I could afford more persimmons. Isn't there anywhere to order them online?

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: December 06, 2007 04:02AM

a ripe hachiya is better than hott sex

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: December 06, 2007 04:49AM

I "mono"ed on hachiyas a few weeks ago for days without really intending to. I just happened to find a good cheap source, and they were so tasty that that's all I ended up wanting to eat for quite awhile. I don't remember how long I went since I did not do this intentionally...but it was somewhere between 6 and 10 days. smiling smiley It was more fun than mono-ing on bananas! What a treat.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: December 06, 2007 05:28AM

Uma,

The persimmons I have must be fuyus they are not like the astringent ones I get in the states.
I bought a few more kilos of ripe ones yesterday they are gone now still waiting on some to ripen.
Yes I am a big fan of durian but this is not the season I have to wait till the end of March before I can buy some decent durian.
I am about 2 hours from Chiang Mai.

Cherimoya

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: December 06, 2007 09:01PM

Thanks for the laughs Uma and Uti--great pics! lol

I bought my first persimmon earlier this week. I'm glad I waited to eat it, however, because after reading all of your posts I know it's not ripe enough, yet! Thanks for all the great info!

love,

Gypsy
XOXO

sorry to interrupt...
Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: December 06, 2007 09:20PM

this message is to all of you!!!
can i just say how inspirational you all are! i probably should be on the introduction blog but i have been reading this blog for days now and I have finally decided to go raw ----because of all of you!!! didn't mean to be rude by "lingering" but i wanted to get more info on raw before i decided to jump in. I have been researching nutrition/ fitness for years... i'm 36 now... i even owned a gym. for years.. i have read hundreds and hundreds of nutrition books and now- by coming to this websight it all makes sense!!! thank you all for being so inspirational and posting your testimonials and pics.... you all look so healthy and glowing!!! you seem like one big family!! Nice to meet you all! thanks again,
joanna

Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: December 06, 2007 09:23PM

sorry uma, i was trying to just put a message out there for all of you... can you tell i am new at this? haha... can you tell me how to post a message? thanks, joanna

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: December 06, 2007 11:36PM

Thanks for all the info on Persimmons. We tried one last year but I guess it wasn't ripe. I was anxious to try them again but want to do it ripe, pun intended, this time.

Luv the crazy pics!!!

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: December 07, 2007 02:28AM

Uma - your new pic is pretty.

I mean, the one at the top. lol

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables