Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

food grade wax???????
Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: December 03, 2007 02:49PM

Hello all,

i just bought a 5lb box of clementines and noticed that it said "this product contains a food grade wax/resin to preserve freshness"

should i proceed with caution before eating them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: food grade wax???????
Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: December 03, 2007 03:21PM

I'm not really sure how much of the "food grade" wax would actually get through the skin I would really wash them well before peeling though.

OMG when I read this I was like, lol!! whats next food grade antifreeze and motor oil!!! lol!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 03, 2007 05:31PM

just peel them, the wax is on the outside. you gotta peel waxy cucumbers and apples too. sometimes cukes are coated with mineral oil, don't ask me why. who wants to eat a greasy cucumber?

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: December 04, 2007 04:48AM

my question is this: are organic apples and tomatoes waxed? the guy in the

produce dept. always says to me "no" but i think that he is just saying what i want to hear.

sometimes the oranic apples are a bit to shiny to look natural, and the organic tomatoes i bought tonight seemed like there was a touch of wax, or not?

i admit to paranoia

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: December 04, 2007 06:59AM

pineapple girl, I agree! the organic apples & tomatoes do seem to have a "coating" on them sometimes!

i did a general search about food waxes online and was disturbed when i found out that waxes are "indigestible and go straight through the body"....i don't want anything in me unless my body can use it!

Posted by: Ryan ()
Date: December 05, 2007 01:07AM

i have come across organic apples that DO have food grade wax on them. a fairly easy way to tell is
1) if they are super shiny
2) if you take a sharp knife and hold it perpendicullarly to the skind and scrape downward, carefully, you will be able to see the wax scrape off.

every conventional apple i've bought in the store has this wax, as well as most other conventional fruits and vegetables, but sometimes its on the organics as well.

also i read the recent thread about oranges having food coloring added to it, and sure enough the bag in my fridge has "color added" and "thiabendazole and/or orthophenylphenol and/or imazalil used as fungicides and coated with a food-grade vegetable and/or shellac-based wax or resin to maintain freshness"!

wow i really don't want to eat these oranges now.
ahhh! i need to move out of the city so i can start growing my own fruits and veg!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables