Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Someone PLEASE explain what is going on?
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 03, 2007 06:05PM

URGENT NEED FOR US TO TAKE ACTION NO LATER THAN MONDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2007
The US Department of Agriculture Plans to Irradiate (which they call Pasteurize) ALL Raw Greens. See below for tips on what to do:

I'm forwarding a message from Bob Avery. We need to take action fast!

Bob writes:

Our "beloved" government intends to require that all greens be pasteurized prior to sale, and their open comment period from the public runs only until this Monday, Dec. 3! We need to make our opinions heard and registered immediately if we hope to be able to still buy raw greens in the supermarkets.In the forwarded e-mail below, they refer to the FDA, but they really mean the USDA. Here are the procedures for posting a public comment:

1) To submit online: Go to www.regulations.gov. In the middle of the screen, you will see “Search Documents.”

In Step 1, choose “Documents with an open comments period”

In Step 2, choose “Department of Agriculture”

In Step 3, choose “PROPOSED RULES”

In Step 4, choose “Docket ID” and then type in “AMS-FV-07-0090”

Hit “Submit.”

Next, you will see a column titled “Comments, add/due by.” Click on the tiny tan dialogue icon, and you are now ready to submit your information and your comment.

2) To fax: (202) 720-8938.

Subject: FDA Plans to Nuke ALL Our Greens Soon -- Take Action Quickly!

The proposal is for federal regulations to mandate the 'pasteurization' of all greens. And as bad as that sounds, it gets worse: the FDA has started using the word 'pasteurize' as a euphemism or cover for what they really are up to, which is irradiation. I've seen this coming (they've already mandated 'pasteurizing' almonds-- burning them with carcinogenic, banned rocket fuel... yes, really!)-- but they've sprung it on us, revealing their plan only recently, and allowing only till Monday, Dec. 3 for public comment. (In the past, the FDA had comment periods of several weeks or even months. This is obscene!

We need to take action. Almonds in September 2007; all greens (including organic) in the near future; what's next? If we don't act, we have only ourselves to blame as our food supply becomes ever more nutrient-deprived and/or toxic.

Follow the link to read more and take action at the FDA Comment Line. Also pass it on to your friends:

here.

Even more important, get to know your Senators and Representatives and call them; their willingness to address issues depends on how many constituents call them to complain or voice their support. It only takes 5 minutes to call the toll-free Congressional switchboard numbers when an important issue like this comes up, and they are listening. For example, I remember a number of years back when the FDA wanted to dismantle the the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act that is the underpinning that allows Americans the health freedom to pursue alternative medicine, herbs and supplements. Thousands of Americans called and wrote Congress to protest aggressively, and as a result the plan was tabled.

Sadly, the FDA hardly ever listens to the public and heeds their wishes at all these days. That's why I personally think it's even more important to voice your concern Monday to the Senators and Represenatives who represent you. Let them know you want your the agri-business corporations to take responsibility and use more hygienic handling practices and more prudent shipping methods, even if it costs them a little more, rather than passing the burden on to you in the form of toxic, devitalized food devoid of most of its nutritional value. Enough is enough!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2007 06:05PM by coconutcream.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Someone PLEASE explain what is going on?
Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 03, 2007 06:11PM

what IS going on?

are the greens in danger, or was this all a misunderstanding?

I want a two sentence answer:
what is the USDA doing?
what are they NOT doing?

please be concise and CLEAR.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: December 03, 2007 06:22PM

So first almonds and now vegetables?

wtf?

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 03, 2007 07:00PM

Hey guys,
Please read the thread " I Made a Horrific Mistake -- Simply Awful! " (posted by me). It explains what happened. The whole 'produce pasteurization' scare was a misinterpretation on MY part of an earlier post by sunshine79.

Relax! Disregard!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: December 03, 2007 10:59PM

[www.democracyinaction.org]

This seems like a reliable source. Can someone explain what is going on? everyone in my raw food community is outraged and taking it every seriously.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 03, 2007 11:56PM

The devil is in the details. There's nothing at all in the FDA proposal about irradiation or pasteurization, that's all. I'm not telling people not to protest the proposal-- not at all-- just be sure to read the document and know what you're protesting against.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables