Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

oat groats?
Posted by: apple430 ()
Date: December 04, 2007 02:27AM

Hi Everyone,

First of all, thanks to all of you who contribute here. I really enjoy hearing what you have to say.

Question about oats: I used to make a delicious banana/oat smoothie, until I found out that even raw oats aren't really raw (unless you order special ones). However, in my health food store I saw "oat groats" today. Are these raw and could they be used in my smoothie? I do mainly fruits, veggies, and nuts (no sprouted grains) but I would like incorporate raw oats once in a while.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: oat groats?
Posted by: apple430 ()
Date: December 04, 2007 03:57PM

no one knows smiling smiley??

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: December 04, 2007 04:02PM

Ani Phyo uses them in her raw book I read some time ago and I had never heard of oat groats before then actually. I still don't know, and am curious, what are they??

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 04, 2007 04:05PM

apple430,

Use the search function to look for oat groats. There are plenty of old posts that refer to them. When I looked up raw oat groats, there were 65 matches.

It seems to me (though I haven't tried it) that mixing oat groats and fruit in a smoothie might be hard to digest.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 04, 2007 05:47PM

Try sprouting them. They should only take a couple of days. If they DO sprout...you've got no problems! LOL. Well....no OAT-RELATED problems anyway....

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: alliecatt ()
Date: December 04, 2007 05:51PM

oat groats are oats in their raw form, but how they'd be in a smoothie i don't know...

Allie =^..^=

[www.stronger.me.uk]

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: December 05, 2007 04:15PM

I heard you can soak them in hot water overnight and have raw oatmeal in the morning. I haven't tried it though.

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 06, 2007 03:00AM

The groats are raw, as far as I know... soak them and then you can blend them... i just tried the raw oatmeal recipe this week... that is what i did, soaked and then blended...it was delicious... i thought it really helped move things in my digestive system... I just heard on Blind Guru, that they have one of the highest sources of fiber...

... let us know...

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: December 06, 2007 05:51AM

I soaked the oat groats overnight and put them into my smoothie along with banana, agave, cacao powder.......mmmmmmmmmmmm so good!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 06, 2007 08:34PM

also search the sproutpeople website for great info on oats. I've bought oat groats before and they wouldn't sprout. Someone on sproutpeople said that the only oats that will sprout are the hull-less ones...oat groats will soak and swell, but not sprout because of how they are processed. Wish i could remember more...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables