Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Aging skin, reccomended books, favorite fruits?
Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: December 05, 2007 11:01PM

Is there any way to partially or completely prevent aging skin? I've read that abstaining from using hormone therapy, the pill, drugs, alcohol, etc. completely will ensure you perfect skin, along with the ultimate diet (raw) and enough sleep. My mom used to have beautiful skin but she started to become depressed and eat a lot of SAD food and take medications and now she looks quite puffy in the face, so naturally I'm even more scared.

I'm only 17, but my biggest fear is to see noticeable changes in my skin. My diet is mostly fruitarian, although sometimes I will eat greens. Do you have any recommendations on changing my diet to help maintain my skin throughout my years?

Also, I was wondering - what are your favorite raw books, and any special fruits that you can get shipped to you? I want to ask for some for Christmas.

<3 Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aging skin, reccomended books, favorite fruits?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 05, 2007 11:38PM

foods high in silica (like radishes) are supposed to be terrific for your skin.
i think though that focusing on loving yourself and being the healthiest you can be will keep you vibrant and looking wonderful for your entire life. a positive attitude goes a long way in making people enjoy your company and see you as beautiful. personally, i'd rather people gravitate towards me because they think i'm great than because they think i'm hot. i'm 35 though so i guess my looks have become less and less important over the years, especially as i feel my body begin to age. i'm still in great shape but i'd trade my good looks for amazing health and an abundance of energy to keep up with my kids any day!

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: December 06, 2007 01:33AM

Hydrating diet will make wonders!

Link on deaging:[www.agedefyingwomen.com]

My husband and I sometimes joke that we are too old to eat cooked. If we do relapse, we can observe ourselves starting to age rapidly, which is a great incentive for staying raw ha ha!

From my personal observations and thoughts, I concluded that juicy-fruit-plentiful diet makes my skin beautiful.

Besides the diet, sleep, rest, exercise and a content in ones' heart are all contributing factors to beautiful skin and body.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: December 06, 2007 02:52AM

Great link Gosia, I was thinking of posting that one myself. A good page on that site is this one, which has a pic of the holes in the intestinal tract tells how if they get clogged it will cause aging.
[www.agedefyingwomen.com]

Tanya Zavasta site is interesting too!
[www.beautifulonraw.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 03:04AM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: December 07, 2007 05:05AM

Thank you SO much! I'm going to pore over these links tomorrow. <3

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: December 07, 2007 03:19PM

A couple of things I do...

MSM in water every day
UDO's oil in smoothies
eat more greens!!!
Drink lots of water
drink lots of fresh squeezed juices

My skin is clear and as soft as a baby's... I'm 46 people think I am 35, and I'm not even 100% raw anymore (eat steamed veggies/air popped popcorn on occasion) but the most important thing is avoid wheat, dairy, alcohol, ciggies.

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: December 07, 2007 03:31PM

Also something that supposedly smooths and softens skin is oil pulling

www.oilpulling.com

Read it with an open, but objective, mind would be my recommendation. You do NOT swallow the oil. One thing I can say for certain is it definitely whitens the teeth over a course of time AND helps get rid of rough, dry patches and weather bumps.

Glen F

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: optimist4life ()
Date: December 08, 2007 05:21PM

All of the above are very important -- taking care of yourself on the inside. However, don't forget about the outside! Wear sunscreen on all of your exposed skin every day, even in the winter! Don't forget hands, they age as quickly as your face, if not more so. Also, wear a hat and sunglasses!
I use Purpose moisturizer every day with SPF 15. Also don't forget to moisturize at night.

I am 28 and don't have any wrinkles yet (thanks to my parents who were very strict with keeping me out of the sun from a very early age). I see friends who are my age that already have quite a few noticeable wrinkles.

Starting now, at the age of 17, to moisturize will do wonders for your skin!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 08, 2007 07:08PM

Sun: up to 90% of skin damage. The sagging rays peak at 345-365 nm so use a high PPD euro or canadian sunscreen. Block it all the time on your face, hands, neck. Get your vitamin D from a pill.

Pregnancy, heavy menstrual flows: maybe 10%, during these times the MMPs which break down skin collagen are elevated and this leads to premature sagging esp. evident in Caucasian women, not so much in Asian or African.

Smoking: can be a big contributor.

Poor diet: You need lots of antioxidants to protect from the above.

Intrinsic aging: stay skinny, don't gain weight, maintain your nutrient-dense diet. Not much you can do here really, the bigger problem is loss of subcutaneous fat and continued growth of bone and cartilage which changes your facial contours. These are the dead giveaways, even if your surficial skin remains pristine. Maybe you can invest in dermal fillers when you are over 40 or so.

Date: December 08, 2007 07:34PM

> Also, I was wondering - what are your favorite raw books

All books by Brian Clement are required reading for raw foodists. His books are backed up with 57 years of scientific study.

His books are on Amazon and on his website at
[store.hippocratesinst.org]
click on Books, or CDs / DVDs. His DVD program is awesome and well worth the money.

Date: December 08, 2007 08:28PM

have to disagree with the sunscreen suggestion, sunscreen is full of toxic chemicals that are terrible for you all around. i aim for shade and covering up instead.

much as i appreciate brian clement i don't anything is "required". many people do well on raw without having read much at all.

arugula, pregnancy eh? so that's what happened to me! ha ha j/k.

Date: December 08, 2007 09:40PM

> many people do well on raw without having read much at all.

I am not sure about that. We have a large raw potluck group in my city. The people that are doing well on raw foods are the people who are always sharing the new raw foods book / DVD / CD they just picked up. The people successful at raw are the same people who read the books.

There are a few people at the potlucks that are not doing well on raw foods. I ask them which books they have read and they say that they haven't read any books. No wonder they are doing poorly! One girl was doing a fruitarian diet but had not read any books on the subject and she became really sick. Readers are Leaders.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 08, 2007 10:12PM

Well, the new ones which do have the right kind of protection are not really toxic, unless you have an allergy or sensitivity, which is true for 1-2% of users.

There is a rule of 500: if the compound has a molecular weight of 500 Da or greater, it won't penetrate. All of the newer filters are designed to be well over that molecular weight so they just sit on the skin. Emulsifiers are usually well over 500 as well. But to remove all doubt you would have to check all the components in the ingredients list.

The truly bad thing about them is that they are proprietary and when you buy them you are supporting big business. But generally they can provide an extra measure of protection that staying in the shade and hats/visors can't.

I've seen pics of 90-100+ Okinawans who wear wide brimmed hats all day and still have horrible sun damage with those ugly hyperpigmented lesions and it troubles me. They eat pretty well, too, not raw of course, but lots of phytochemicals from their purple sweet potatoes and greens.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: December 09, 2007 03:00AM

exercise

Date: December 09, 2007 04:24AM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, the new ones which do have the right kind of
> protection are not really toxic, unless you have
> an allergy or sensitivity, which is true for 1-2%
> of users.
>
> There is a rule of 500: if the compound has a
> molecular weight of 500 Da or greater, it won't
> penetrate. All of the newer filters are designed
> to be well over that molecular weight so they just
> sit on the skin. Emulsifiers are usually well over
> 500 as well. But to remove all doubt you would
> have to check all the components in the
> ingredients list.

that's good to know. i do have to protect the kids in summer, they don't know how to "stay in the shade", ha ha.
how can i tell what's good to use and what isn't? it's been so long since i used chemically stuff on my body, i don't even know where to start.

Botox and its alternatives
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 09, 2007 04:41AM

One big source of wrinkles is facial musculature contractions. There is a whole industry of botox injections to deaden the nerves around the facial region to relax these contractions. The alternative to these kind of contractions is to reduce one's stress and tension level such that the facial muscles relax on their own without deadening your nervous system with the botulism toxin found in botox.

Many people are holding their facial muscle taut by their subconscious, and don't even realize that they are holding their faces in this fashion. Certainly raising one's consciousness, getting more in touch with what one is feeling, and reducing stress, worry, and anxiety will help.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 09, 2007 04:54AM

I have been to the library and I happened to get some books on face exercises, and they look interesting and fun to do. Also I did get the book by Perricone just to see what it's all about. He has a protocl for younger looking skin, which I'm not sure about the all the ingredients. He says they are nutrient based, like Vit C ester ( I love the Jason brand of ester C lotion), but I'm not sure about some of the ingredients.

I like to use my hand held massager and use that to relax my face, forhead, scalp, cheeks, and under my chin..it's very soothing and gets the blood flowing.

Taking some grams of vit-c daily also helps with getting rid of dark circles under the eyes, and much else.

The whole foods diet of course, with lots of fruits, some veggies, green juices, flaxseed, etc.

One of my fav. books is Perfect Body by Roe Gallo.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 09, 2007 05:37AM

my mom's anit-aging advice when I turned 24 and said I thought I could see a wrinkle...I think....maybe it's an eyelash...

"always wear sunglasses."

I say it to myself everyday. It makes me smile. I'm looking forward to smile-lines.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: love ()
Date: December 10, 2007 10:40PM

Hi all!

I do have to say that I do agree with Bryan10 that people could really benefit from studying and reading about raw foods. I have been to a lot of raw food potlucks too, and people who just dive into raw foods without knowing anything, I don't think that it is good for there body (from my opinion). Raw foods may be great, AND, there are so many different ways of eating raw food too. I recommend Gabriel Cousens books! And Norman Walker's books!

As for beautiful youthful skin; what I have noticed is that most of the happy, enthusiastic people look very young (and they act sweet and young). It's just what I have observed. In Norman Walker's books he talks about this for woman, he says that the best thing to do is to dump recentment, bitterness, anger, etc. into the trash where they belong, and have a good attitude, happy, joyful, etc. Plus, lots of raw foods, and fresh raw juices.

Peace and love to all!

love

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables