Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What do raw foodists do for a living?
Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: December 09, 2007 01:56AM

Well, first and foremost, I would like to know, what do the raw foodists on this board do for their occupations? I'm about to choose which colleges & majors to select and I'm curious as to what you guys do for a living. I'm interested in nursing, teaching, Russian language studies, and art, by the way.

Also, does it bother anyone else when they see stuff like this?
I hate it when people smother fruits and vegetables in sauces, dressings, glazes, and heat. It makes me want to cry.

That's all. Love and peace. <3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2007 01:57AM by rawfrancois.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do raw foodists do for a living?
Posted by: annex ()
Date: December 09, 2007 02:06AM

What is that stuff? That does not look appetizing to me at all. I know what you mean. In my mind, the worst misuse of a vegetable award goes to that dish with baked sweet potato and marshmallows that people make around this time of year. Who thought of that?

I work at a radical school, which means that there are no compulsory classes and all students are treated equally. Quite a few of the kids there have become interested in raw food and veganism just by watching me make my lunch. If you want to chat about teaching let me know. I also think nursing with a nutritional bent is a interesting career. Of course, you should follow your heart wherever it leads. Good luck!

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: December 09, 2007 02:20AM

that makes you cry? hey i understand, but what makes me really want to cry is when i see Bobby Flay on the food network channel, he loves to grill things,

and he gets wonderful fresh raw fruit....and he puts it on the barbeque grill, and he grills and burns raw fruit and he is proud when he sees grill marks on them...i am like OUCH! poor raw fruit being grilled and ruined beyond belief.

oh, what do i do for a living? i am stuck in an office all day doing menial tasks like making copies, filing, scanning documents and architectural plans, and shipping and mailing massive amounts of plots and drawings to companies. bleh...

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: December 09, 2007 02:40AM

my major is art, and I also plan on getting into the nursing program. winking smiley

100% fresh for 3 years.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: December 09, 2007 03:09AM

musician, sound designer and music teacher.

I lived low-carb on the road for years (that's hard!). Wish I had known about fruits what I know now - they seem easy enough to take along.

As for the photo, nope, no negative reaction.

Good luck to you

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: December 09, 2007 03:19AM

I looked at that pic and imediately thought - INDIGESTION - and that was before I knew you were asking for comments on it!

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 09, 2007 03:49AM

I'm overeducated and underpaid... I must be a teacher!

I teach emotionally disturbed and learning disabled teens. Most of them go on to respected 4-yr colleges. I've been teaching long enough to be able to teach at any level. I like the kids I work with now. No grade grubbing, Ilots of gratitude and humbleness.

They are genuine.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 09, 2007 04:49AM

I'm a Workforce Professional Business Representative. I help our community businesses to fill staffing needs - and to acquire training grants....and help job seekers to match up with those positions.

www.heartland-workforce.org

(I'm the guy at the top middle).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 09, 2007 05:07AM

I'm a childcare provider in my home, and have been most of my adult life. At my age now, I can look back now and see a lot of my loves and passions that were there when I was very young..around age 6-8. I think you can see that in children if you study them for a little bit, and see what they gravitate towards.

I'd say to look at your early years, and see what you loved to do most, was it reading, writing, art, nurturing or teaching kids or adults, speaking, playing Dr., or playing vet or empathizing and playing with animals, driving or riding little bikes, baking or mixing up weird scientific brews, building legos, mastering puzzles, etc..they are all clues in some way. Sometimes they are clues that you need to look further into. I used to mix up weird stuff out of my mom's kitchen cupboards from all the food items..it would come out yucky green everytime..but I don't like cooking, I do love mixing paints though for my art work and painted furniture hobbies!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 09, 2007 05:33AM

grad student: art teacher.

also been: custom surfboard painter, surf instructor, sign painter, dish washer, waitress, vegan cook, artist's assistant.

my favorite? surf intructor!!!

one of the MANY nice things about being a teacher: surf intructor over summer break.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: Weezo ()
Date: December 09, 2007 01:52PM

I'm a dancer, not the respected-within-society kind, but an exotic one. I take the job seriously, and put an artistic slant on my stage work, you know, classical burlesque style, I've often been asked if I ever studied dance due to my show I guess... overall the pole is a great release, being a form of dance without boundaries, unlike most other instructed forms.

But yea, my passion, who I am, I paint, I've always wanted to sell my art and just live off of that (if even meagerly), so until I do so I will keep taking jobs that are willing to be in the back seat for my artistic endeavors to take president.

My site for my paintings is on Deviant Art, here:

[ShenaSloboda.deviantart.com]

If you look in my scraps I've got older work too, most people tend to like the stuff I did back in school the most, but lately I've been moving in the direction of a very blurry impasto impressionism (that's what I feel is "right", just like raw foods were "right"winking smiley.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 09, 2007 03:35PM

right now i am enjoying my long canadian maternity leave. i hear the poor mamas in the states get barely any time, it's a year here. before that i was at the soul-sucking bank where the hours worked around my kids school schedule and the pay was, meh, alright.
i am an artist, i paint and other things. i sew; clothes, toys, furniture covers and other housey things, costumes and most recently xmas items. i do some yarn work, embroidery, beading, paper craft, etc etc etc. anything creative.
i have been a nanny, a receptionist, a waitress, managed a sprout farm/living foods resource center, worked briefly for NFL, etc etc etc.
i would love to be able to make a living being creative or doing child care. traditional workforce employment is a grueling ordeal for me, i feel incredibly stiffled.

i'm really suprised by how much interest there is in nursing here. my sister was thinking about studying to become a nurse but was really put off by how much drug administering she would have been required to do. there is zero focus on natural health in the "health" professions, it's depressing. she chose personal care aide instead and drives here and there to people's homes to help them with their physical needs for an hour or so a day. she says it is very rewarding and she doesn't have to shoot them up or dose them with chemicals.
i thought about it too but really, i'd much rather work with children.

oh yes, and that goo uptop, i couldn't figure out what kind of raw food looks like that. it's kinda gross.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2007 03:38PM by coco.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: December 09, 2007 04:46PM

Illustrator that has moral issues with the jobs my agent has been getting me this year...as they are amongst others for a tobacco company, a Whiskey maker and Chocolatier.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: December 09, 2007 04:48PM

Oh and I am part timing a a printing place where I do boring lay outs, websites, marketing stuff. Nothing related with raw at all!But raw helps me go through with it. I actually have no ambitions to work raw related...

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 09, 2007 05:22PM

let's see that white blob that is on the papaya nut thing?

i was thinnking hey... maybe its a raw thing like cashew banana cream or something like that

it does look quite nifty and splashy i do like it a lot

it also looks like Casper the friendly ghost just couldn't RESIST and just DOVE in

to eat allthose oatraisins purty funny now that i think about it

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 09, 2007 05:55PM

Coco, you could become an LPN and work for an alternative health care practitioner without having to dispense drugs after your training.

I'm doing some stuff that is against my religion now; learning the methods is part of my training. But I have no intention of doing such things for a living.

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: December 09, 2007 06:44PM

I'm a Media Production student who likes to make music.

I have interests in going to law school.

You can listen to my latest track here:

[www.stankwound.com]

david

Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: December 09, 2007 07:14PM

I know what you mean about not agreeing with the way the medical community goes about 'helping' people, but still wanting to go into medicine. I am currently pre-med myself, and I'm not sure how I am going to deal with the differences in my personal views and those of my colleagues. Either I will study preventative medicine after my traditional education or (more likely) I will go into research medicine, specifically neurology. While in school I make my pocket money in different ways, I model primarily, but also worked a bit at a coffee shop, waitress etc. I think it doesnt really matter what you do, as long as you do your best to find what you are passionate about in the long run. Working odd jobs here and there can be very interesting as well. As far being raw, I dont think that your job has to have anything to do with that. Being raw helps you be your best, most positive self, and you will bring that to work with you no matter what you do.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: December 09, 2007 09:41PM

I used to be a research scientist at the university in San Diego, CA. But now, I retired to a more simple life, at 29. What do I do for a living: grow my raw food on my land in southern Spain. Makes more sense to me on an ecological point to live more locally, especially with peak oil coming in ;-)
SGC
www.el-camacho.com (still under construction...)

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: December 09, 2007 10:24PM

I have had many different jobs... I use to build snow skis for a while. I did in home care for elderly and house cleaning, I worked with divient adult mental cases for a while. I raised five children and two are still at home. Right now I am a baker. I bake breads and doughnuts and all those kind of things. I think it is very ironic I have been raw since june this year but lately I have been having a hard time I am still learning.

Posted by: Delphine Hano ()
Date: December 10, 2007 12:18AM

Hi François,

I am a Conscious Living Coach & I throughly love it ! : )

For more information, I invite you to visit my website:
www.EmotionalSerenity.com

Delphine
Conscious Living Coach:
Bringing Balance & Serenity to Life.
www.EmotionalSerenity.com

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: December 10, 2007 12:51AM

Electronics Technician. Long Island, New York.

one year 100% raw with a couple of experimental fallbacks.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: December 10, 2007 03:54AM

prism.

i thought about what you said all day long about looking at what you did in your early years. it touched my heart. thanks. =)

Posted by: lacombe ()
Date: December 10, 2007 04:18AM

i guess i'm a money grubbing capitalist, as we have three businesses. one is a laundromat, two is a healthy eating restaurant (pita pit) and three my hands on business is trading...stocks, options and futures.

cheers

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: December 10, 2007 03:33PM

I am a stay at home mom with three homeschooling/unschooling kids. I also rescue animals and refuge as many as I can. I may dog groom (something I trained to do) when my littlest is older but, even though I love it, I would rather just groom homeless animals and focus on a rescue ranch that will include farm animals.

Prism, I was just talking to my oldest about what she wants to "be" when she grows up. We talked about the very idea of looking at what she really enjoys now, which is music. I am doing exactly what I wanted to do when I was little. I never had any confusion in what I wanted. I just had to work out how to get it.

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: December 10, 2007 04:23PM

I work in a television production company.
I do a variety of things - but get paid for coming up with ideas for kids tv programmes, and working on ones that we film here on location.

I have presented about gardening occassionaly.

I feel very honoured to have this job as I feel I can part with some of my own personal philosophies into the media that we stream.
I try to write scripts that have positive messages and don't go with consumerist ideas.

Posted by: gadjoemi ()
Date: December 10, 2007 04:31PM

I teach vinyasa flow yoga and Ashtanga yoga in the Netherlands.
The combination of raw food and yoga is powerful and amazing!
I need the energy to teach yoga so this way of eating is really wonderful.
Since I started to eat more raw food combined with yoga practice, I have realized that I am more grounded with the Mother Earth and feel more love within and around me, which feels so warm in the winter that I don't need to eat cooked warm food ;-)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 10, 2007 05:02PM

arugula, thanks for the suggestion, i don't know when i will have three years to go back to school though. maybe when the baby is in school herself.

selene, we sure do need more researchers that know something about nutrition, that's for sure!

pakd4fun "I never had any confusion in what I wanted. I just had to work out how to get it."
really? how did you get it? i want it too ;D

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 10, 2007 06:34PM

I'm a GIS (geographic information systems) analyst and natural resource manager for the Maui Land & Pineapple company. I'm either collecting GPS data in the field (and sampling pineapple) or in the office making maps. The best part is that I get to work in our conservation lands...we have over 11,000 acres in conservation with almost a dozen plant species that live nowhere else on earth.

Before that, I was a boat captain for snorkle and whale watching tours (Maui and Key West).

Before that, a professional body piercer, organic farmer, Herb shop/juice bar owner (Vermont).

Date: December 10, 2007 07:02PM

I work in a automobile dealership. Mostly doing title work, but end up having to sell cars also. I don't like it at all~! I plan on making a major change since I've been doing this 6 years.

Oh about the papaya, it looks like yogurt on top, but it could be coconut blended with other ingredients to thicken it. But I don't like dried fruit or oats. I have to admit, I like gourmet still but am still trying to wean off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2007 07:06PM by deegarry@yahoo.com.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables