Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What do raw foodists do for a living?
Posted by: corizza ()
Date: December 10, 2007 07:47PM

I make money by working at a coffee shop and bakery. Funny because I don't drink coffee or eat pastries, hehe.

I'm also going to school to get my doctorate in nutrition.

And I'm a musician. I play guitar and sing in band in Cleveland.
www.myspace.com/corissaandthepriapists

thats the site if you want to listen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: December 10, 2007 08:01PM

This is so amazing! Thank you all for telling me about yourselves. Prism, you really did help me with that idea of looking at what you did when you were a child...I definitely feel strongly about becoming a nurse or teacher at this point, but who knows.

I would like to post a response to each and every one of you. All of your jobs seem so interesting. Right now I would say I'm a high school student, but I've worked at a health food store, an art gallery, and a Chinese restaurant.

That was something I made at the art gallery.

As for the picture, it's a papaya with yogurt, I think. It made me sad because papaya is one of my favorite fruits.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: December 10, 2007 09:00PM

Hello everyone! I was just going to post this question, but Rawfrancois you beat me to it! heehee. I love learning about what people do for work. I have done all kinds of jobs myself - coffee shop, bakery, office grunt, 6-week unpaid (unless you count $200/mo. in food stamps) maternity leave, stay-at-home-mom, housecleaner, pet sitter/dog walker, worked at WIC... the biggest stuff though has been Cinnabon for 7 years, and now housecleaning and apartment rennovation for the last 5 - my own business. For the last 2 months I have been doing in-home childcare for my friend's 4 year old, 3 year old twins, and 15 month old, in addition to my own 8 mo. old.

I thought the papaya thing looked delicious. I bet the cream on top has something to do with young coconut, which I LOVE. But there's not much raw food that don't love! I just probably wouldn't eat it all together. But it looks purdy!

-Angie

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: December 11, 2007 02:18AM

I am the resident manager at a self storage facility. I like it because of the short commute to work! I also love people, and with this job I get lots of time with people.... most of my customers have been here for years. In fact, I have lots of customers that have been renting here since the place was built in the 80s! I think it's nuts to spend that much money storing STUFF.... but business is booming! America has a serious case of "stuff-itis!"

Besides the short commute, my housing is free, and you can't beat that! With my housing and utilities free, and no commute to work, it means I have more choices on my income than ever before, which means I can actually afford to buy some of these delicious fruits and vegetables that I want for my raw food diet. woohoo!

I think the papaya looks good! Looks like a cream made with coconut and agave and whipped together. mmmmmmmm, good!

KathyT

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: December 11, 2007 02:55AM

Coco wrote:
<<<<pakd4fun "I never had any confusion in what I wanted. I just had to work out how to get it."
really? how did you get it? i want it too ;D>>>>>

I don't know exactly. I had a teacher in high school who taught us to envision being/doing what we wanted to do. If we wanted to graduate we should close our eyes and see ourselves walking across the stage to get our diploma. I always used that tool to meditate on what I wanted. When we were living in Houston (a place I had wanted to get out of my whole life) I laid down on my bed and pictured my whole world outside being a forest with a creek and I couldn't see my neighbor's houses. I got so deeply into it I kind of had to "wake" from it. I felt so inspired that i wrote it all down. A year later I was unpacking my stuff at our new house in the country and I found that notebook. I had forgotten about it but then I truly believed in the power we have over our future. I actually had moved to the forest with a creek running through the backyard. Also, I think choosing the right partner has been crucial in getting what I want in life.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 12, 2007 03:15AM

I work in a lab. Doing stuff creepy things that would disgust you, mostly to yeasts and bacteria.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 12, 2007 02:08PM

I work as a massage therapist in an amazing spa. I am also getting certified as a Pilates instructor and I'm considering a degree in Natural Health.

Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: December 30, 2007 10:07PM

Oh, let's see...
I've been a med student, network engineer, private real estate investor, mortgage broker, a private body guard, and now I'm a plumber.

Out of all the above jobs, plumbing really holds my attention; if I had to provide an answer as to why it holds my attention, I would have to write that I'm allowed to be me (no pretenses, masks worn, or dependence upon the economy).

Thanks,

Arilraw

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: December 31, 2007 12:55AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i don't know when i will have three years to go back to school
> though. maybe when the baby is in school herself.

If you choose to be a practical/vocational nurse (LPN or LVN) then it only takes 1 year if you go full time. The registered nurse program is longer since you would need the prerequisites before starting the actual program.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: claire ()
Date: December 31, 2007 08:21AM

I studied music, then taught languages, now I work with teenagers who have difficult home lives supporting them to get through things, and especially to stay in school rather than drop out with no qualifications.

Posted by: claire ()
Date: December 31, 2007 02:35PM

Forgot to add that I'm training to be a counsellor

Date: January 01, 2008 04:29PM

I'm a Registered Nurse. I don't agree with most of western medicine, so I don't work as a nurse on a med surg unit where I am forced to hand out drugs to people who could most likely heal themselves through diet. I choose to work in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with babies who are either born premature or have a congenital anomaly like a specific syndrome, clef palate/lip, or a heart defect. I do have to administer drugs and monitor ventilators/various monitors, however most babies born at 23 weeks gestation would not survive without them! I love that the entire NICU is so pro-breastfeeding. The work is intense at times, but so rewarding!

Date: January 01, 2008 07:08PM

I coordinate public health education programs.. which means I probably know way too much about things like Tb, Hep C and all of the STD's!

I also teach part-time at a local university on disparities in health care. Beyond that, I parent full-time which is by far the most challenging and rewarding of all!

I agree with a previous post, that there are many options for someone interested in nursing, that don't necessarily involve keeping people dependant on a (IMO) failing healthcare system.

As for the papaya with fruit, oats and yogurt?... When I think of suffering.. I generally don't imagine produce.. raw foods or not!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2008 07:12PM by Mariposa.

Posted by: bostonhill ()
Date: January 02, 2008 01:55PM

I airbrush cars, trucks, motorcycles and wall murals and have been for 18 years. I figure I have toxins in me from all that paint overspray, so I am still working on "getting more raw" and cleansing. My website is www.airbrushingbysandy.com I have been getting a new business going and is in full swing now where I sell decals made from my art so I don't have to breathe as much paint. I wish I would have learned all this stuff 18 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sandy

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: January 02, 2008 02:37PM

When I first looked at the photo, I thought it was a raw version of some gourmet fruit dish.. ya know with the nut sauce that looks like cream.

So I work at a major Canadian bank parttime doing graphic design... I also work part time teaching martial arts at kids schools on their lunch hours. Love what I do!!!

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: January 02, 2008 03:54PM

I work for ACE Ltd, an Insurance Company as a Commercial Casualty Underwriter. [www.aceltd.com]

I would like to do something where I help people though, you could argue on the very positive that I help large businesses to maintain continuity and not go out of business following a large loss and that prevents people from losing their jobs, and help improve Health and Safety in work places but I would like to help people directly.

I need to look at my options.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2008 03:54PM by jadedshade.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 04, 2008 02:42AM

Up until 4 years ago, I was a software engineer for 22 years. Since then I've been studying and practicing yoga full time. During this time I made money from sharing yoga, both hatha and jnana yoga. I've also done some computer work as well as light construction.

Now, I am working with people who are struggling on the raw foods diet, using the experience I've gained from my own journey as well as the training I've received from dedicating the last 4 years to a healing yoga path.

Posted by: rawbryan ()
Date: January 04, 2008 11:28PM

I promote, teach and create RAW ORGANIC FOOD awareness, videos, dvds, books, food, classes, restaurants, spas and more! I do RAW 24/7 it is fun, still in early stages so there is not a ton of money but once I make it mainstream and huge in 2008 we will all earn more!

[www.RawInTen.com]

And it will become a Industry and new jobs for everyone. People are joining my raw organic chef team in anticipation of new raw jobs I will provide for people. It is a $500 program links and info are on top of my website.

Bryan Au

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: January 06, 2008 11:41AM

I am considering environmental Law. But I am 3 months pregnant now and would want to wait at least until my babe is a year old before I get involved in such an intense undertaking. My
Preserving native Plants in Maui, time divided between office and field sounds ideal!
Women have it so tough today expected to have kids and career. I remember how lonely and depressed I got when my mom started working so much when I was a kid even though I was about 7 years old already.

Date: January 08, 2008 02:13AM

I am a technology buyer who used to work at a large retailer purchasing computers,network equipment, cash registers, scanners, etc.

I'm currently starting my own business online. Many raw fooders and health enthusiests that I know have their own businesses. Some have websites promoting raw food, some are health/lifestyle coaches and some teach Yoga or run retreats. The options are really endless if you identify your passion in life.

I really got a lot out of the article Frederic Patenaude wrote on his blog. Go here: [www.fredericpatenaude.com]. It talks about how to make a living doing what you love. For me, the article generated questions and answers that could help me identify if starting a business is right for me and what I need to think about if I go down that path. It got me thinking of how to discover my passion. The ideas here could apply to any business. I was really glad I stumbled onto this article.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: January 08, 2008 03:10AM

I'm a visual artist

It's great because I can live everywhere.

everywhere I go I get the best food, the best duds (clothes)

the raw life is a grand occupation

be kind to yourself is the greatest path

GL girl...don't have time to read ALL of this but are you off to college now?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables