Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How many of you eat seaveggies, seaweeds, Survey.
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 11, 2007 07:12PM

I'm wondering how many raw fooders, no matter the % for now, eat on a consistent manner raw seaweeds, powdered kelp, liquid dulse, even maybe the green algaes that contain Iodine, maybe at least 3 x a week or more? Anything that has some natural occurring Iodine in it would be included as long as it's a food product.

1.What sea items do you eat?

2. How often & how much do you eat of them per week?

3.How you feel eating them as opposed to not eating them?

4.If you naturally like them, or if it was an acquired taste?

5. What is your reason for eating them?

6. Do you or have you had any thyroid or other health issues that you feel has been helped by eating those items listed above?

You can answer none, 1 or all questions..it's up to you of course.
Thanks so much. I'm trying to find out if including the Iodine rich ocean veggies makes for a more complete raw food diet plan because of the Iodine content.

Love,
Prism

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many of you eat seaveggies, seaweeds, Survey.
Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: December 11, 2007 07:45PM

MMMEEEEE! I eat them mostly for taste. I like to sprinkle dulse on salads occasionally, and also love munching on nori sheets. It satisfies that craving for crunch (and to-go food) and salt. And I suppose I also try to eat as much variety as possible, so I'm not missing out on any nutrients. I actually haven't eaten any in a while, so your post reminded me of an old favorite!

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 11, 2007 08:28PM

I eat untoasted nori when I make nori wraps. I sometimes eat other sea vegetables but not very often. I like the taste. Some people say it is an acquired taste, but I've always like sea vegetables.

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: December 11, 2007 09:03PM

I consume SeaVeg maybe 3x a week at most, for there high mineral content and b12

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 11, 2007 09:50PM

i eat it whenever i feel like it. out of nori and wanting to try cauliflower with soaked chia as rice in rolls. sounds pretty funky.

so. nori, and a few other kinds that i forget the names of. i haven't seen hijiki in a while, some controversy, but that was my fave.
i like the taste of some, not the fishy ones. i used to get it fresh covered with salt and sand and tied into little knots from a health food store in toronto, no idea the kind but i LOVED that one best of all.
i feel fine when i eat it and when i don't.
no thyroid problems.

mocha, the b12 in seaveg isn't the useful kind that vegans need. too bad too 'cause that would be terrific.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 09:52PM by coco.

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: December 12, 2007 01:18AM

coco, there are huge controversies over that, and I have done extensive research and the most solid reply I can give is that Algae have active b12 Nori has analog. Those two are the only for sures out there right now.

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Date: December 12, 2007 01:50AM

i eat sea veggies every day, I love them, especially dulse and powdered kelp

Date: December 12, 2007 02:01AM

mocha, do you consider algae to be a sea veg? that's interesting. i always think of it in a catagory all it's own. edible single celled greenery. hmm.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 12, 2007 03:13AM

I don't eat them. I don't care for the taste.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 12, 2007 03:50AM

I read that algae and spiralina that comes from places like Klamath Falls Lake contain Iodine which suprised me. It might be easier to incorporate those foods into smoothies depending on a blander taste for some people. I also read that powders like kelp powder, etc..are not stable and may have varying degrees of nutrient value compared to their fresh state.

I agree with Arugula..it's hard to like the taste of seaveggies for me. You would think that someone deficient in Iodine would like seaweeds and seaveggies.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: December 12, 2007 06:28AM

I buy one or two packs of nori a week, I don't have a thyroid issue, it just seems like good insurance against problems. I don't know if I can pin down a change in health to them, because at about the same time that I started seaweed I also gave up salt, started using coconut oil, doing liver cleansing and taking dandylion and milk thistle for my liver. I have to say that the combination of all these has made me happier and less stressed also those last little fat deposits that I wanted to loose are gone.

Oh yes, and do I like nori and I don't have to force myself to eat it. I spread mustard on it and fold it in half and cut up with a scissors (it's how I finally got my kids to eat it).

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: December 12, 2007 09:49AM

Dulse!!!!

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: December 12, 2007 10:50AM

I eat sea veggies regularly, mostly nori. No known thyroid problems, and I haven't paid attention to how I feel with/without.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: December 12, 2007 12:48PM

I am about to order some sea veggies

1kg I found on funkyraw for £30

howerver, these are cheaper..anyone used this source before??

[www.seaveg.co.uk]

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: December 12, 2007 01:56PM

I consume nori about once every 2-3 months. I don't really enjoy it all that much. I dislike the taste (and scent) of sea vegetables and weeds. They feel different in my stomach, like they don't belong there, or something. The times I do eat nori, it's because my daughter is begging for raw nori wraps (she does eat nori on its own and loves sea veggies and weeds).

Love,

Gypsy

Date: December 12, 2007 02:13PM

" I dislike the taste (and scent) of sea vegetables "

i thought so too but it turns out it's only dulse that i find fishy and non-tasty. there are so many different kinds of sea veg, it's easy to find one that you actually like. i wouldn't eat something my mouth or body was telling me not to, no matter how healthy it was supposed to be! (durian, yucky!)

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 14, 2007 08:40AM

I eat either raw nori or dulse 2 or 3 times a week, usually either a couple of nori rolls, or a small handful of crumpled-up dulse in a salad.

I feel somewhat more satisfied with the sea veggies in my diet, than without them.

I naturally like them, but I've tried a couple of nori brands that I think are absolutely awful. The others are great.

I eat them because I think the iodine is good for me.

I don't have any thyroid or health issues that I'm aware of.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: December 14, 2007 03:21PM

When I first started raw I liked all seaweed. I had lost my sense of smell for many years and I guess some of my tastes too. I got those back (thank you raw food) and most seaweed became too fishy for me. I do LOVE Dulse though. I crave it!!!! i eat it several times a week when I have it. I eat it straight out of the bag sometimes with a handful of nuts.

Date: December 14, 2007 06:50PM

A friend of mine is a naturopathic doctor. She tests people for nutrient deficiency. She found that almost everyone she tests is deficient in iodine.

She told her patients to eat sea vegetables to see if that would correct the deficiency. It helped with some people and did not help with others. She had to prescribe an iodine supplement to many of the people.

The article she wrote about it is at
[doctorariel.blogspot.com]

Processed table salt is fortified with Iodine, when raw foodists stop eating table salt they loose the main source of iodine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables