Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Greens???
Posted by: ksandberg2002 ()
Date: December 13, 2007 08:14PM

What exactly does everyone mean by getting your "greens" and "green smoothie"?

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm so new to this!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Greens???
Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: December 13, 2007 08:24PM

I make a green smoothie everyday which usually consists of kale,apples and some ginger. Atleast this is what I mean about "getting my greens".

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2007 08:32PM

For me it means eating indoor greens(sunflower, buckwheat, wheatgrass) in salad, juices, raw smoothies [www.sproutman.com] . Greens bring more value to the body than any other food in my opinion and experience.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: December 13, 2007 09:00PM

Most people use "greens" to distinguish green leaves from other vegetables and roots. They are nutritionally very distinct and the term helps us to be clear.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 14, 2007 12:11PM

stuff that has chlorophyll in it

like kale, parsley, spinach, dandelions, broccoli
stuff like that

chlorophyll is the pigment in the chloroplast ( of plants)
it absorbs a good amount of the photons ( though accessory pigments absorb the rest of the wavelengths that wasn't absorbed by chlorophyll ( a and b)

thus if u eat your greens
u are getting a lot of the light energy of the sun
in your cells

which is a nice thing
considering the sun is responsible for

making everything grow and function ( including your brain and a zillion other
metabolic biochemical processes in your body that are usually not discussed because you would need a chalkboard and a laser focused mind to not fall asleep LOLsmiling smiley

so.. eat up on your greens!!

and drink em too, i say!

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: December 14, 2007 12:34PM

I use a blender or a handheld blender to mix spinach, a banana, and some ginger or additional fruit. Someone on this board said that greens helped them digest bananas better, and the idea is foremost to get your greens, then to not get greens stuck in your teeth early in the morning, and to make them taste better/sweeter, as well.

Date: December 14, 2007 12:52PM

Thank you to EVERYBODY who posts on this question!! You all are so wonderful and knowledgeable!! I appreciate your kindness in responding to my questions; they are all so helpful to me since I'm a beginner : )

I have read all the above and wondered if you all are adding any water and if so what kind? i.e. "spring" water, "distilled" water....etc.

Posted by: Devric ()
Date: December 15, 2007 01:46AM

I highly recommend the green smoothie experience. I'll put about 2 cups of safe water into a standard size blender. Otherwise, I use whatever greens (not iceberg!) I have and combine them with some fruit (about 30-70 to 50-50 green to fruit ratio) and some hemp powder if I'm looking for something a bit more filling. I have no problem with combining foods, but if you do you might want to try your greens with just bananas or apples, etc. Green smoothies help in getting a lot of good food in a convenient, digestible way. Enjoy.

Date: December 18, 2007 03:19PM

Why not iceberg????

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2007 03:38PM

"Iceberg lettuce has very little nutritional value; it is mostly water and a small amount of fiber. Vegetables that are better for you tend to be richer in color. For example, compare iceberg lettuce to spinach; spinach is better for you since it is rich in iron and folate."

[www.hsph.harvard.edu]

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: December 18, 2007 03:40PM

Iceberg is fine, just usually not as nutrient dense as others. I do not know if this is Devric's reason though, he may simple not like it :O)

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 18, 2007 03:53PM

Iceberg if fine if you don't tolerate the greener ones. It's different from romaine but still better than solid green vegetables or nongreen nonleafy vegetables.

All leaves are mostly water btw. And the minerals in lettuces of all types are more available than those in spinach. But that doesn't mean you should eliminate spinach.

Eat them all. Vary them. Variety is good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables