Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw snack on the airplane
Posted by: gadjoemi ()
Date: December 17, 2007 02:27PM

Honeymoon to India very soon!

I am wondering what to take with me on board.
Since I don't have a dehydrator to make cookies, which would be really nice, I am thinking of brining some fruit and nuts.
Does any one out there have delicious raw snack ideas that doesn't require any dehydration or freezing?

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw snack on the airplane
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: December 17, 2007 02:42PM

When I went to Hawaii I brought about 6lbs of grapes and no one said anything.

Date: December 17, 2007 04:45PM

tanawana,

I guess I can bring lots of fruit on board then!
I just don't know how strict the rules are nowadays.
thanks though!

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: December 17, 2007 04:47PM

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: December 17, 2007 05:28PM

If you are coming from the U.S., keep in mind that airport security will require all food to go through the x-ray machine (unless it's small enough to put in your pocket so it isn't noticed).

If the flight includes a meal, you can usually request a fruit plate option ahead of time.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2007 05:32PM by learningtofly.

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 17, 2007 09:29PM

on a flight to costa last year, I brought raisins, prunes, carrots and 2 apples in a big gallon size ziplock. gone before the seatbelt light went off. I ate the banana that came with lunch. my dad's banana. the banana of the person sitting with us. then the flight attendent brought me another banana. I never manage to bring enough to eat on the plane. I get so hungry when I fly...strange...

I'm flying ina couple weeks...10 hours total. I don't plan to bring as much actually. I've been raw now for 9 months, and I plan to bring a bag of apples...about 2lbs worth.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2007 09:32PM by shaine.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 17, 2007 10:13PM

Sure. Solid fruits like apples, oranges & hard pears are a good choice. Nuts that you trust. Fresh coconut that you've already cut up it a good choice. A ziploc full of cut veggies to munch on (if you're into that sort of thing!) smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 17, 2007 10:48PM

You may want to check restrictions on carrying fresh fruits/veggies on the plane. I know that when I fly to the mainland from Hawaii, they won't let me board the plane with whole fruits, but I was able to bring cut-up pieces of fruit and shelled nuts. I think the restrictions are to prevent pathogens and pests from being transported to new areas.

Posted by: uncwsurf ()
Date: December 17, 2007 11:54PM

I have never had a problem bringing whole fruits on the airplane, but I guess it depends where you are coming from. I usually bring apples, carrots, dried fruit, and nuts.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: December 18, 2007 01:28AM

Gadjoemi

I always take bananas on a very long trip but remember to eat them all and get
rid off the peels before you go through customs on international trips.
What I do is eat some on the plane if I have a layover eat some more or the rest of them depends on how many more hours I have to fly.
I also carry a box of raisens with me in case there is a problem with someone saying something or customs taking my bananas from me but in many trips I made overseas no one ever said anything or took my bananas but you never know.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: December 18, 2007 03:46AM

Sometimes I bring nori rolls - sprouts, pate, avocado, onion, grated veggies, all wrapped in sushi nori. And/or fruit, dates, nuts. I used to make my own energy bars out of dates, hemp, walnuts, dried fruits, maca, goji berries, raw carob, dehydrated of course. Very delicious and filling, easy to carry.

With prepared foods like the sushi and homemade energy bars, I wrap them in dye-free waxed paper underneath saran wrap. The saran wrap keeps it wrapped securely and the waxed paper protects the food from the plastic. I guess aluminum foil would work in place of the saran wrap, but I doubt it would go through security.

Sometimes fruit feels too heavy and squishy/messy to cart around easily with all my other stuff.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: December 18, 2007 06:47AM

last time i went to costa rica on the plane i chopped up a whole large watermelon and ate that, with a whole pinapple in another ziplock bag, and ate that, too. I also brought a bunch of cherry tomatoes in another ziplock bag. I also ate the little melon salad that came with my meal, my dad's meal, and two of the guys sitting by us' meal. It's like i'm shaine's twin or something. winking smiley I made a lot of trips to el bano during the flight.

on the way back i did similar thing like pineapple, bananas, papaya, zapote... just tons of fruit. as long as you throw it away before you go through customs it's all good.

Date: December 18, 2007 08:25AM

Wow, thank you everybody! Lots of comments over night.
I am flying from Europe so I will check with the rule before I go.

I am thinking of bringing bananas, apples, dried fruit and nuts. They all sounds good to snack on while on board reading my favorite books!

I am flying with Emirates and they have raw food meal on board. You can choose your meal from like 20 different kinds of meals from meat to raw. Isn't it great? Though, I am not really expecting a good raw meal on the plane.

Love
gadjoemi

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 18, 2007 12:05PM

haha, Ilovejen, that is too funny. I was reading your post and I thought someone was quoting me. hahaha.

it makes me feel bad that my dad didn't want the fresh fruit/I took it from him. But he was going to toss it, and I was pretty hungry.

even on my train home next week, I plan on having at least a pound or two of something to crunch on.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: December 20, 2007 09:19AM

shaine i have read your posts and found that you and I have tons in common. I too felt bad about taking the fruit that my dad was not going to eat from my dad, and also am in school learning art, and have thought a lot about becoming a teacher. =) I adore your paintings by the way. i love the colors and the calming and quiet sweet sensations light and slightly sadly sweet feeling i feel when i look at them. your style is so simple yet rich with expression like your personality. i love it. =)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables