Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lowest sugar fruits
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: December 18, 2007 06:05AM

Hello... I decided to cut back my sugar intake for a little while to see if it helps my skin problems. (This is just a trial phase). That means no bananas for now (except occasionally maybe).. But I am having a hard time determining which fruits are ok to continue consuming (3 or more a day of). I couldn't find a good enough sugar chart and those I did see varied. Are grapefruit, melons, some berries, and apples the best low-sugar staples (other than veggies)? Any other suggestions?

Also... on another note, has anyone found a good RAW method of counteracting a sugar craving?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lowest sugar fruits
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: December 18, 2007 06:43AM

that's really interesting i find the more bananas i eat the better my skin looks.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 18, 2007 07:10AM

Given that the skin is the largest elimination "organ" of the body I would look for other causes, rather than the amount of fruit sugar you're consuming, for skin problems.

The simple sugars in fruit like glucose are the most easily digestible and readily used fuel for the body's cells. Everything else takes more digestive energy and produces more waste.

I have been having some skin issues recently and have tried a couple of things which seem to be working so far. The skin on my forearms and backs of my hands got very dry, fragile to abrasions and cuts, and bruised easily. I shifted 2 things.
1. I have cut back on my overt fat intake (mostly from nuts) when I ate them and how I was combining them with other foods.
2. I started eating more dark greens like kale.

Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: December 18, 2007 07:25AM

Yes fruits are generally excellent... I am just going to do this to see if anything changes. I have heard that people experience results when sugar is cut, among other things. I am trying all different experiments so this sugar question is really just for the purpose of knowing which fruits are lowest in sugar and how to help this experiment.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 18, 2007 11:32AM

I agree with Uti. I am very skeptical that any whole sweet fruit could lead to skin problems unless you have an allergy or related intolerance. Our bodies were designed to be fueled from simple sugars primarily and the accompanying phytochemicals and fiber in fruits have many other benefits for the skin.

Like many others here, my skin seems to have less tolerance for overt fats. I am not sure why, it might be that certain proportions of fatty acids are not good or that too much fat in general is bad for me.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: December 18, 2007 04:05PM

You might find this website helpful for figuring out how much sugar is in different foods [blog.nutritiondata.com].

The fruits that we normally think of as veggies, like tomatoes and cucumbers, are low on sugar I think.

I have Type 1 diabetes and I find I do better with those fruits and apples and bananas. Melons, citrus, and grapes are tough on my blood sugars, but that could be just me and not because of how sweet they are.

What works for sugar cravings for me are 1) colonics, reduces all cravings because you more quickly dump those toxins that can set off the cravings 2) eating a banana or apple or raw bar (although I am starting not to like those - they were a good transition food for me though) 3) eating more greens - the more alkaline your body becomes, the less you crave the acidic stuff like sugar.

Victoria Boutenko said in her book "The Raw Family" that she conquered her sugar cravings by drinking lots of sesame seed milk. She says why that works and provides the recipe in the book. I can't remember either right now.

Good luck!

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: December 19, 2007 02:26PM

well I had surgery earlier this year and the wound for most of this year has been a dark, purpleish colour. this last month and half I have been eating loads of fruit, more greens, less fats - my scar is healing at an incredible rate. It's very light pink now!!
I'm happy about this.

Also my nails are very shiny.

My skin is dry today though. Did eat lots of nuts last night!

Posted by: ericajones80 ()
Date: December 19, 2007 06:53PM

i didn't think your skin was so affected by your sugar intake...i know it is affected by fat

For My Health The Fruit Company Fruit Baskets

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 20, 2007 04:59AM

green apples and berries are lowest in sugar

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 21, 2007 03:27AM

Hi Vegcase,

Most fruits are around 90% sugar if you're looking at the total calorie content. There are a few exceptions tho...
Avocado is 13% sugar and Olives are amazingly only 4.5% sugar. These are fruits with a high fat content which will curb most sugar cravings as well.

Posted by: badawie ()
Date: December 23, 2007 11:53PM

I find it really hard to even think of sugary foods after pineapple or mango..I've had no craving whatsoever in the last..wow, can't remember the last time I craved something sweet. Then again, I don't eat any salty foods either..I find that salty stuff makes me crave sweet, so by cutting them out and adding fruit, that pretty much means I never crave sweet. When I say that I mean I may lust after a mango, but never a piece of choc or anything..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables