Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

knowing Seasonal produce
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: December 18, 2007 06:08AM

How do I know if the fruits and veggies I am buying at the store are considered to be IN SEASON? Is there a good chart or site out there that will tell me? And, if I shop at a small local health food store is it likely that they only sell produce that IS in season?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: knowing Seasonal produce
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 18, 2007 11:29AM

The brain-dead way is to get it from the farmer's market. It pretty much has to be local that way. If you get it from the store, get only the locally grown stuff. Some grocers will put up a sign showing origin location. If yours doesn't, you can ask the manager to start.

Here is a chart that might help:
[www.foodnetwork.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2007 02:28PM

nothing is seasonal in canada in the winter time except maybe some root veg and some apples. i can focus on choosing the local option in the summer and fall but in winter i'm kinda stuck buying what is there if i want any fruit or green veg. and there isn't a farmers market here until mid summer either. it's way too dang cold outside for that!
most produce has a sticker on it showing where it's from but a sure bet is to ask store staff. you can express your preferance for local and organic produce while you're at it.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 18, 2007 03:54PM

Coco has to move!

It's too dang cold up there.

We've only just had one day of cold weather here and I am already sick of it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2007 05:19PM

have you seen out whether lately? unbelievable. snow up to my knees practically.
the only local food right now are... icicles! ha!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 18, 2007 07:31PM

Price is a good measure. When fruits and vegetables are in high season, their price is the lowest. And when they go out of season the price skyrockets.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 18, 2007 08:56PM

Yes. Bryan is correct. It becomes pretty easy to see what is abundant and and inexpensive. Local produce will differ somewhat by region. I've got a master list that I'll post when I get back to the house.....

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: December 19, 2007 04:36AM

well, at the moment i am able to get raw pineapples for $1.99 at my local Lucky's. (very low price)

but of course they are not "in season" here in america,they dont even grow in america, except for hawaii...but they are in season from costa rica, or somewhere else i believe.

so what if you are a fruitarian with tropical fruit preferences, like papaya, and mangos?

is it really "that important" i dont know, all i know is that if it is fresh, looks good, smells good and is ripe, (and raw of course), well it cant be all that bad for me.

in season "where?" kind of makes me think of the saying, "its five o-clock somewhere, lets drink"

ok, just being silly now.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 20, 2007 07:14PM

Aloha Pineapple girl,

I think the importance of what's in season to most people, is that the produce is more likely to be fresher. I think we can safely interchange the terms seasonal and local as it is very dificult to grow something locally if it's not in season. Personally I think many raw food folks, myself included, prefer to reduce the ammount of fuel and other resources that are used to transport produce from far away lands.
Of course, I'm pretty fortunate here in Maui so i'm not sure if I would be able to buy only local produce if I lived somewhere with limited growing seasons. i'm sure I would bend my rules a bit during the colder months.

I guess the bright side of global climate change is that we may be able to grow papaya in Canada in our lifetime. (insert sarcastic roll of the eyes here).

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables