Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
Posted by: esisser ()
Date: December 18, 2007 07:44PM

My father has RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy), aka CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome). If anyone has heard of any connection between raw foods/diet in general and RSD, please let me know. Thanks!

Heres a little info from the National Institute of Neuroligcal Disorders:

What is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome?

Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is a chronic pain condition. The key symptom of CRPS is continuous, intense pain out of proportion to the severity of the injury, which gets worse rather than better over time. CRPS most often affects one of the arms, legs, hands, or feet. Often the pain spreads to include the entire arm or leg. Typical features include dramatic changes in the color and temperature of the skin over the affected limb or body part, accompanied by intense burning pain, skin sensitivity, sweating, and swelling. Doctors aren’t sure what causes CRPS. In some cases the sympathetic nervous system plays an important role in sustaining the pain. Another theory is that CRPS is caused by a triggering of the immune response, which leads to the characteristic inflammatory symptoms of redness, warmth, and swelling in the affected area.

Is there any treatment?

Because there is no cure for CRPS, treatment is aimed at relieving painful symptoms. Doctors may prescribe topical analgesics, antidepressants, corticosteroids, and opioids to relieve pain. However, no single drug or combination of drugs has produced consistent long-lasting improvement in symptoms. Other treatments may include physical therapy, sympathetic nerve block, spinal cord stimulation, and intrathecal drug pumps to deliver opioids and local anesthetic agents via the spinal cord.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 20, 2007 06:30AM

esisser

did your father undergo any surgery prior to experiencing those symptoms?
surgery is one of the causes of RSD

i remember a few weeks ago reading an article about a woman who got RSD after she had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome

the horrifying pain radiated into both her arms and legs

she ended up doing pressure point work on it
and also training for a triathlon

she used the exertion of training to produce opiates in her brain to counter the pain and it was not a piece of cake for her nor was it without its own pain

however it did work for her

her impetus was to be able to be a mother to her children
at the time she was unable to do ANYTHING due to her pain

i believe she had been quite an avid athlete prior to having RSD so she just reverted to her old "habit" of training and it worked beautifully for her

it is kind of unorthodox i guess because rarely do u hear doctors telling people to "push through the pain"

but that is what she did
little measures at a time

but it makes sense to use the opiates created from physical or repetetive exertion like "runner's high" to counter the pain

that is just ONE method i have heard of

i certainly think that raw foods does help because it clears the lymphatic system and then the body is much better mobilized to fight causes of nerve pain

however, it is tricky

energy work is something that he may consider looking into

someone who is highly skilled in energy healing work is a gem

or he may consider taking classes on it so he can work on himself

this AND a raw food diet, perhaps yoga ( if he can handle taking baby movements etc.)

does he know the cause of it?
was it after an injury?

was he lifting something that was too heavy for him?

did he fall?

or... my original question:

did he have surgery?

tell your dad not to give up

there is more than meets the eye when it comes to healing such excruciating pain

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables