Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone else read "The China Study"? Opinions?
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 27, 2007 01:37AM

I just finished this book and although it doesn't focus on "Raw" it is an incredible source of information about the benifits of a whole-plant-based diet. I cannot imagine anyone could continue to ingest animal protiens after reading this book.

I value the opinions and life experience of everyone on this forum and would be interested in hearing other peoples views on this book.

Thanks and aloha, Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone else read "The China Study"? Opinions?
Posted by: Fud ()
Date: December 27, 2007 03:48AM

I have the book and am getting ready to read it soon. My wife has read it and feels it's got a lot of valid points.

Glen F

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 27, 2007 06:25AM

I thought that it was an amazing book and so much info. I just can't understand our Dr.'s and our medical community at large..just blatant outright incompetency and lunacy going on imo.

It does make you want to just stop eating anything like meat, dairy, eggs, butter, which is a good thing. That book should be a standard text book for every 8th grader out in our public schools, ha..like they'd ever do that..because they are just as bad at making their deals with the large industries and fast food franchises.

I'd like to know who in our schools, medical, government & large food agencies/companies really cares about the health of Americans?! Specifically in regard to our children..someday it's going to be considered so outrageous that it will be likened to murder..in my opinion. Just think about how people feel about the tobacco companies now.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: December 27, 2007 04:02PM

The China Study is excellent.

The American medical community has conflicted interests. It's really run by big business and the pharmacuetical big business more specificly. More ailments mean more drugs sold which means more money in their coffers. There is a vested interest in keeping us sick.

Preventative medicine gets no real funding. Unfortunately ...

Sick chidren = $$$$$$$

Date: December 27, 2007 07:56PM

"someday it's going to be considered so outrageous that it will be likened to murder..in my opinion. Just think about how people feel about the tobacco companies now."

Exactly my thoughts Prism. After reading the book I was overwhelmed with the feeling that the SAD diet= genocide... especially when put into the context of ALL the people who ask "but where do you get your protien?". The myth that we somehow need animal protien to survive is so pervasive, but before reading this book I felt like it was just a personal choice. Now i feel like very few people have been given enough information to really make an informed choice. This book disturbed me to the core, but in a good way. I've tried to avoid being preachy about a vegan lifestyle, but now it is clearly a matter of life or death. Mostly I worry about the children (especially poor children that are given 5lb blocks of gov't cheese) that are told from the moment they can talk that milk is good for you. This is nothing less than mass-murder for profit.

so scary!

Posted by: azrael ()
Date: December 27, 2007 08:23PM

I agree that it is a great book. Even though I am aware of mass scale corruption, I still am amazed each time I hear of a new example of it. Some people are capable of the lowest lows in the name of greed. This book saved the life of my friend who was diagnosed with lymphoma and decided to treat it through diet after reading it. This went against the strong advice of his doctors, family and friends. Today he is healthy.

Date: December 27, 2007 10:35PM

After reading that book, I thought of starting a type of 'official' website that would be a clearing house of information on the plant based diet, with no vested interest by anyone for any reason. Just like a type of government agency website that gives the facts, information, and links, and that's all. It seems like a daunting task for now though, so I've said it before..if anyone wants to do it, or help get it started I'm with you.

It could simply start on a free website like eshire.net which is easy to use and build on.

I thought something like The International Academy or Organiziation of H.A.P. (Healthy, Ample, Produce)

Love,
Prism

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 28, 2007 01:21AM

>Some people are capable of the lowest lows in the name of greed <

Yes, it certainly does seem so to us.

But one thing to remember is that the vast majority of people, many of whom are otherwise kind-hearted and love their pets dearly, still do not make the connection between what is on their plates and the animals that suffered tremendously to provide them. And are utterly, completely indifferent to any health aspects associated with food. To them, the suggestion that they might do better to choose certain foods or to elminate certain foods is preposterous! They are operating on the principle of: anything I want, anytime I want, just give me the statin and the beta blocker. And they don't care about global warming, either, the biggest contributor being livestock--greater than that from the transportation sector.

In short: they usually don't know, and even if they know, they don't care and don't want to be bothered. There are some cardiologists who are vegan, but probably a lot more who feed on McDonald;s regularly.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 28, 2007 01:23AM

OH, I forgot to add that Campbell has said somewhere that the ultimate vegan diet is the raw one. But I don't think he insists on 100% raw.

Date: December 28, 2007 04:38AM

I can't see giving the large corporations, our government agencies, our huge medical community, and the pharmaceutical companies the benefit of the doubt or how loving they may be as individuals. Many of those people knowingly allow themselves to be corrupted by greed, money, and their jobs. There are more that know about it then let on, and they deny the knowledge and truth to be known to the general public at large.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: December 29, 2007 10:07PM

As a result of this post, I went and got this book from the library. I am not very far yet but I am very impressed. It is also somewhat scary. I mean, I was eating this way for 40 years! It provides me with more motivation to "maintain the course."

Thank you Greg for starting the post and to the others for contributing.

Patty

Date: December 29, 2007 10:29PM

Yeah Sewraw,

I was horrified at first. I mean, I knew that my old eating habits weren't too good for the first 41 years of my life, but I think the most powerful message I got from the book is that many of the diseases he discusses are reversed or dramatically slowed down when you switch to an all plant based whole foods diet, no matter what your age. Of course I would be healthier if I ate this way from birth, but it's too late for that...now I can just continue to improve and inform myself and this book is great motivation.

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: December 29, 2007 11:28PM

That china study is like the vegan bible. I also recommend books by John Robbins as well. Anyone who reads all of those books, I can't imagine how they could not seriously consider changing their diets!

[minou-minou.blogspot.com]
myspace.com/summer33ny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables