Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Indoor Winter Garden
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: December 27, 2007 04:06AM

It's been awhile since I've been here. One of my best friends ever, died. So I kinda fell off the planet for awhile. She was only 48.

My fiance & I are trying to grow an indoor garden. Does anyone know what fruits & veggies grow well indoors? We're living in Colorado for the winter and it would be nice to grow strawberries, tomatoes, arugula.. in pots. Just don't know how well it will grow indoors, though it'd be fun to try.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Indoor Winter Garden
Date: December 27, 2007 05:02PM

omg... where did all the regulars go? This forum really dwindled since the last time I logged on, a few months ago. Mostly everyone here is new raw, and that's nice. Good luck to you.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 27, 2007 05:44PM

The problem with the forum is that people are not allowed to present different views on a subject, you are labeled as negative when you disagree.
The forum is good for new comers, they get all they need from the 3 established leaders (B, F, D) views, yet there is little evidence in the real world for those views. The forum is not dynamic, it does not allow debate on issues and yet there is little known about the long term effect of raw food, we are all still searching.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 27, 2007 06:10PM

Sure. The things you mentioned will certainly work fine in a winter garden. The key is sunglight - of course.....while not allowing the plants to get too hot. A nice mini-fan should do the trick. Smaller micro-greens should do quite well. Sunflower seed greens are always a good way for folks to start/experiment. Plants will certainly not do AS well in artificial light...without some rather strong light. winking smiley Let me know how you do!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: December 27, 2007 06:11PM

DJ: I apologize if my experiences / opinions are not helpful and supportive to you....along with the wonderful folks on this forum.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: December 27, 2007 06:39PM

Mr davidzanemason,

Although I am new to the forum, I have read through some of the older posts. You have never presented yourself in a judgemental or, dare I say, in a self-rhiteous manner. I have seen some of the other folks here say things in a way that would, by most, be perceived as almost condescending if not outright condescending and rude. Especially since one can not hear tone of voice in typed responses. Others appear to be here for their own ego trips. I don't sense that is your angle. It is true that a multitude of view points is not only good but I believe essential in establishing our own beliefs.

Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: December 27, 2007 07:25PM

Rawrrr, so sorry to hear about your friend - you must have been devastated. Hold tight to all those good memories you have of her, and I wish you all the best.

I love the new picture of you; you look quite stunning and healthy; a good testament to the benefits of eating raw!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: December 27, 2007 07:55PM

Rawrr, I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how sad it must be to lose a young, close friend.

Please let us know your results on this garden experiment. I am very interested in doing this myself. Good luck!

I disagree with Djachi's opinions about this forum. If someone is contiually described as being negative it might be a good time to evaluate their attitude from a different perspective. They may not see how they come across to others.

Date: December 27, 2007 08:29PM

Hi Pakd4fun, Soraya (thank you for the sweet compliment.Camera is not the best), David, Djachi, and gorillawar! There you guys are!

The hardest part is, I just want to hang out with her, call her, and she's just not there. Wish I could wake up and it was just a bad dream. Seems so surreal. Thanks for your kind words.

As for the indoor gardening... was starting to think I asked a silly question, lol!

David, Colorado is sunny, most days, just too cold for outside gardens. We have lots of windows & full spectum light bulbs (not sure if these will work). Were having fun with this, like in kindergarden and elementry school when we used to grow things by the windows.
Microgreens would be nice, and simple. Thank you, David!

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: December 27, 2007 11:39PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DJ: I apologize if my experiences / opinions are
> not helpful and supportive to you....along with
> the wonderful folks on this forum.
>
> -David Z. Mason

David, While I'd have to agree with DJ's observations about some of the things I've seen on here, I'd definitely have to venture that you're not one of those that's being (constructively) criticized.

There are a lot of good people here. Some just don't know that certain writing styles can be seen as negative or come across in a derogatory fashion. That's one of the limits to typed interaction.

Please keep contributing to the forum as you do. I glean a lot from your knowledgeable posts. And thank you so much for your thoughtful input.

Rawrrr,

Please accept my condolences. We still have difficulties with missing my Father In Law but are blessed by many wonderful memories. I can sympathize with your mourning. May peace and good memories fill your heart.

Glen F

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: December 28, 2007 01:43AM

I would like to grow food indoors too!

I'm moving to a small efficiency with only one window and it is a north window! However, this being Central Texas, that will save me money on air conditioning so I won't complain, especially since the view is kind of nice too.

I was thinking about getting a "Grow-It" light with a standup fixture. Does anyone know if that is the way to go and also have any hints about what to line the floor with so that I don't accidentally get my carpet wet?!

Your friend that passed away
Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: December 28, 2007 01:45AM

Oh, and I wanted to give my condolensces also about your young friend that died. I lost a loved one that was only 46 years old a couple years ago and it was soooo hard to get over the grief. I "expected" many, many years ahead for him!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 28, 2007 05:33AM

I haven't tried growing much at all in years, but I plan on doing some outdoor food gardening in the spring. Good luck with your indoor gardening experiment..let us know if you get any edibles from itsmiling smiley

I also want to express how sorry I am about your loss and for me I still talk to my sister and mother both who have passed way not that long ago. I swear they are helping me as I feel I have guardian angels because of the the syncronicity (sp?)of my life lately. You might also ask for that from your friend..you may be surprised in how she answers you. You will know it when she 'talks' to you.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 28, 2007 02:15PM

rawrrr, so sorry for your loss. i know how difficult this is, to think of your loved one and want to call and share that energy and then remember that you can't... it's difficult. peace to you sister, it gets easier over time.

have you thought about a sprout garden? herbs can do well too in pots near a window. these things are so easy to grow and the sprouts at least don't even require any soil. you can harvest every few days too, it's awesome!

djachi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem with the forum is that people are not
> allowed to present different views on a subject,
> you are labeled as negative when you disagree.

come off it. not being able to talk about eating animal products here is your issue. there is PLENTY of terrific advice and information to support a raw VEGAN diet on this forum. you just aren't interested in that view.

Date: December 28, 2007 02:31PM

A total misrepresentation of my views, when did I say you had to eat animal products to be healthy?

Date: December 28, 2007 06:56PM

Thanks Coco, Avocadess, Fud & Prism.

Prism wrote: "let us know if you get any edibles from it." haha... I will.

Coco, I already grow sprouts, a variety to break up the monotony. Sprouts are more of a condiment and not a staple, so I just grow a little at a time.

I think with lots of sunshine by the window, a few strawberries & arugula will grow. Mmm, strawberry & arugula salad with avocado dressing.

Date: December 28, 2007 08:12PM

Varieties of radish also grow VERY quickly...the young greens are edible and tasty...along with the radishes...of course! smiling smiley A very inexpensive way to whip up a quick salad!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: December 28, 2007 09:28PM

Nice idea, David. Love baby greens.

Radishes have antibacterial action.

[www.botanical.com]

Posted by: uma ()
Date: December 29, 2007 02:16AM

Rawrrr, that is such a gorgeous picture. I love it.

I don't have experience with gardening indoors (except for garden starts in the spring) but I have a winter bed in the ground inside my greenhouse, and it does great with lettuce, spinach and cilantro. Also there are some greens and veggies that do great in winter weather, though most of them I don't enjoy raw (except occasionally like kale or cauliflower).

I've been seeing recently these little kits you can buy to grow herbs right in the kitchen. Must be a heated light in it or something?

Love,
Uma

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: December 29, 2007 02:48AM

Rawrrr,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. *Hugs*

I'd love to hear how things end up working for you with growing things at this time of the year in Colorado. That state is still high on our list for a place to settle and being able to grow our own veggies during the winter would be a huge selling point! :-)

Lots of love to you,

Gypsy

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: December 29, 2007 11:10AM

hi Rawrrr,
awww I'm so sorry about your friend, I know its really hard when someone we love and care about goes from our lives "hugs"

awww I don't think indoor gardenings a silly question at all I think it sounds really cool too smiling smiley I've been planning to start some tomatoes and peppers inside for weeks now, just been alot going on with me lately.

This threads really inspired me to get back to it now though smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables