Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Quick Question smiling smiley
Posted by: Seren ()
Date: December 28, 2007 03:20PM

Without getting into that b12 discussion once again... I was wondering if anyone knew what b12 shots are made from? I need to take them once a month and unfortunately I have only just started wondering if they come from animal sorces or not (and am I right in assuming that they wouldn't be considered raw? hehe). Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick Question smiling smiley
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 28, 2007 03:30PM

There are many injectable forms. You could ask your med professional for methylcobalamin.

Almost all B12 is synthesized by bacteria. It can also be synthesized by a chemist from much smaller component molecules, but the reactions are so complicated and delicate, there are very many very complicated steps, and yields are so tiny that it isn't worth it. I did a report for a class once comparing the two processes, natural and synthetic. Nature does it much better, by a long shot.

I don't think that "raw" applies to a molecule. If it's damaged on application of heat, pressure or other chemicals, it turns into a different molecule.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: December 28, 2007 03:37PM

I used to have these, they do help if your ill with long term chronic condition. However now I feel able to manage without them-- at the time it perked me up a huge amount!

I would say go for it, until you are settled into raw eating and find a supplement which suits you if you feel you need that supplementation

Date: December 28, 2007 03:58PM

Thanks! I wish I could go without it but my body doesn't absorbe it. It has to be put straight into my bloodstream. It's hard affording those things though (student)! I've gone about 5 months without one right now and my toes are numb/tingly most of the time and my arms just feel really weak. My speech is going downhill too sad smiley

Date: December 28, 2007 04:20PM

Did you try putting a chewable tablet under your tongue and letting the mucous membranes of your mouth take it up? That's how I do it.

Date: December 28, 2007 04:46PM

I haven't tried that no. I did ask my doctor about the nasal sprays of b12 they have now. She looked at me in her usual disaproving way and told me that I could try it at my own risk. She said to get the amount of b12 I get from the shot I would have to take 100 times the amount of the nasal spray. I need a new doctor. When she found out I was a vegetarian by 8 years old she said "If I was your mother I never would have let you do such a silly thing!" and went on to tell me about her veggie brother who got so much healthier when he got some sense and ate some pork. I don't go there to be lectured! Anyways, rant over. She told me tablets wouldn't work but I don't see the harm in trying what you suggested. Thanks.

Date: December 28, 2007 05:15PM

She's a horrible doctor. Find another one, one who is veg friendly.

The spray is actually not a bad idea, but the mucous membrane method should work also. I use a NOW foods methylcobalamin. The tablets are 1000 mcg but you can cut them into smaller portions to suit. Jack Norris has some instructions for what to do to get your levels back up to normal if you haven't attended to them in a while.

[www.veganhealth.org]

The whole set of B12 pages he has put together is worth reading. He's an RD and a vegan who wants to promote healthy veganism.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: December 29, 2007 02:59AM

My B12 was low for a long time and I had some of the symptoms for many years. After being truly diagnosed as low, however, I started taking the tablets. My counts went back to normal, but they are still low for my body (since I still have the crawling skin feeling at times).

The pills definitely showed a difference for me. So, I think they are worth trying.

Love,

Gypsy

Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 29, 2007 04:59AM

Seren,

Remember that most mainstream allopathic doctors receive a miniscule amount of nutritional training. I would walk out on yours if she said that to me. What do they really know? Not much about real health, IMO. They base their knowledge mostly on studies of average people in our society IMO, not healthy vegans or raw vegans. Arugula, are my statements accurate?...I value your knowledge here.

I think of doctors as mechanics and will go to them if I need something like trauma care. When I shattered my heel bone the 2 ortho docs said I would never heal back to normal and would experience pain from the injury for the rest of my life, even if they did surgery. I healed my foot myself and am still seeing it slowly change and heal. I lead a fairly active work and play life unimpeded by my injury.

Be your own doctor!

Posted by: nataraj ()
Date: December 29, 2007 05:37AM

Hi,

I corrected a severe B vitamin deficiency using Perque sublingual B-12 lozenges (goes right into the blood from being sucked on under the tongue), along with the Quantum Max Stress B Nanoplex which is a live fermentation. For a few weeks I took the B-12 2 times per day and the for the B Nanoplex, took 1 tablespoon 3 times per day. My energy level picked up very quickly when I took these things. Now I take just the B nanoplex at least a tablespoon per day. It is very expensive but worthwhile.

Nataraj

Posted by: nataraj ()
Date: December 29, 2007 05:57AM

Here's a link to an article by herbalist Richard Schulze where he tells about a visit he made to a large vitamin manufacturing facility to discover how vitamins were made.

[herbdoc.com]

The article also gives a great description of nutritional properties of each of the ingredients in his green powder.

Nataraj

Date: December 29, 2007 12:05PM

Uti, yes, I would say most MDs don't know much about the nutritional aspects of preventative medicine.

But some of them do--the good ones.

One of my MD friends agrees with me that standard medicine is ghoulish and greed-based, preventative very interesting. But is he making $$$ doing standard things and claims to hate every minute of it. He fantasizes about a way out, but with 3 kids to support I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Posted by: alliecatt ()
Date: December 29, 2007 02:55PM

My friend has patches (like the stop smoking ones) for B12 - she wears one just behind her ear and it keeps her B12 topped up fine.

Allie =^..^=

[www.stronger.me.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables