Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

psyllium/benonite(sp?) shake, okay when starting raw?
Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: December 29, 2007 05:57PM

Hi all,
Just wondering if it okay to take in psyllium/benonite(sp?) shakes when first starting raw. I tried going raw a few weeks ago- arghh, i felt awful... not enough water and was definately "backed" up.... now i know that i was not drinking enough water to help move things along and also learned that the fruit i was eating wasn't ripe enough. soooo, i'm going to try again. This time i was thinking about adding green smoothies/ with fruit and continue like before lots of veggies and fruits, tons of water, and possibly the shake i mentioned above-- to ensure things get moving? hehe! anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks for your advice-- needing some of your guidance!
Sincerely,
joanna

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: psyllium/benonite(sp?) shake, okay when starting raw?
Posted by: greenie ()
Date: December 29, 2007 06:39PM

Joanna,

Psyllium/bentonite bulked up and turned into concrete, totally blocked me up every time I've tried it. And I've tried it about 6-8 times over the years, as parts o of various cleanses using a psyllium shake with laxative herbs and each time it was like swallowing concrete and kept me clogged big time for a long time, no matter how much of the laxative portion of the cleanse I took.

If you had problems going raw before, why not start out slowly by adding more fruits and veggies, and/or a quart of green smoothies each day. The green smoothies will keep things moving. Psyllium will not. It's a bulking agent.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 29, 2007 06:58PM

Opinion:

-I think if you slowly introduce more cleansing fresh fruits and vegetables at a pace that is only STRETCHING from right where you are very comfortable with RIGHT NOW.....that you will find the food doing the work for you...while you just cruise through your day. No worries.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 29, 2007 07:57PM

Aloha Joanna,

I think David Z has the best approach to successfully becoming raw...taking small steps, doing what feels comfortable and improving in little bits every day.

I have used psyllium-Bentonite shakes a few times while raw, but only after I've slipped and eaten something that I'm trying to avoid...happened a few times since Thanksgiving. I found that it helped me to push the junk through my system faster and perhaps absorbed a lot of the gunk before I had a chance to digest it. You do have to drink a ton of water to keep it moving or you will feel blocked up. In any case, I don't think that it really helped in my raw transition, but more as a last resort when I ate something unhealthy...I would not want to develop that as a pattern though.

Good luck and Aloha,

Greg

Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: December 30, 2007 03:46PM

Thanks you all, I really appreciate you taking the time to write me back.... I will try your advice... just adding fruits and veggies nice and slow-- concrete?!! wow, I think I will definately stay away from the shakes now... that's how I felt last time when I was stopped up and I definately don't want to go there again! What I was really hoping is that the more fruits and veggies I eat - the more cleaned out I will get... naturally! I'll take your advice and let you all know how its going.
Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Joanna

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 30, 2007 08:01PM

All great advice in above posts. You might try some fresh squeezed lemon juice in some of your drinking water, and or in a warm cup of water or your cup of herbal tea. Peppermint tea is sweet on it's own and the juice of 1/2 lemon doesn't alter it so much that you don't need a sweetner imo. Add in the pulp also if you want. I do because I am really loving lemons and oranges lately.

If you do those green/fruit smoothies once a day, that also will help with cleaning out your digestive tract or if it's too much for it for now, only do 6 oz. and increase, or try straining them before drinking them.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables