Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What is the best water filter?
Posted by: oregonisaac ()
Date: December 29, 2007 08:43PM

I am just starting to do my homework to buy a great water filter. I am not looking to spend the $1000 plus on one of the magical alkalizing filters at this point, but would spend a few $100.

Can anyone help me shortcut who has already done the homework? I would greatly appreciate it!

Many blessings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the best water filter?
Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: December 29, 2007 10:50PM

hi isaac

i don't know the answer to your question, but here's a link that may help...

[www.historyofwaterfilters.com]

i am curious to know myself, hope people answer you
dc

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: December 29, 2007 11:26PM

Wellness filters are supposed to be good.

[www.wellnessfilter.com]

[minou-minou.blogspot.com]
myspace.com/summer33ny

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 30, 2007 06:50AM

We've had a Multipure filter system for over 20 years for filtering drinking water from our rainwater catchment system.

If you're hooked up to a municipal water source, the Multipure filter system will probably be all you need for good clean drinking water.

Anyone with a private water source like well water, catchment, etc. will need to have their water running through sediment filters before it reaches the finer Multipure charcoal filter. We screen our water before it reaches the pump and then run it through a coarse and a fine sediment filter. That way the Multipure filter stays cleaner and lasts longer. If we didn't mind using the additional electricity, we'd also have an Ultraviolet filter system. The Ultraviolet filter system doesn't filter out chems but it kills 100% of bacteria.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 31, 2007 03:47AM

A whole bunch of my friends used Multipure filters for years, but we were finally told that they are mainly for removing chemicals from municipal water supplies. If you read the Multipure literature that comes with the filters, they don't mention biological contaminates. My friends mostly live on country water systems from wells, creeks or springs where biological contamination is the main concern. We live in rural coastal Northern California.

I found a different system and have now installed 5 in place of the Multipure. The system uses a 2 stage filtration, the first filter removes chemicals and small particles down to 3 microns and the second filter is a carbon ceramikx filter that removes anything down to .5 microns, which takes care of giardia and e. coli. We also have a standard whole house 5 micron fiber filter because our supply comes from a creek that is prone to high sediment in heavy storms. Those $3 cartridges also help by pre-filtering the water for the Matrikx, thereby extending the life of the more expensive cartridges.

See this link KX Industries for more information. A bunch of companies on the web sell their products. This is an inexpensive and easy to install system for drinking, food washing, and un-cooking. It has a sink mounted spigot just like multipure uses. The replacement filters are around 15 dollars each and we replace ours about twice a year. They let you know when it's time because the flow drops off when the filter gets clogged. Given the price range you mentioned Isaac, this may work for you.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: January 01, 2008 03:04PM

I think I read about KX Industries in Wired magazine. I looked at the lonk you posted but they don't seem to manufacture water filtration units, just the filters themselvbes. I am looking for a countertop water filtration unit. Are your units countertop?

Date: January 01, 2008 04:55PM

VeganLife,

I've only used the under-counter systems for the KX Matrikx filters. The cartridges are the industry standard 10" configuration and will fit any housing made for 10" cartridges. The housings I'm using are the dual side-by-side cartridge housings that I bought from a retailer in Arcata, CA. Here's what one brand looks like: Dual Filter Housing These are the easiest to install and use, you just screw the hose adapter to your sink faucet, which also makes them easy to take with you if you live in a rental. Their downside is that they take up counter space and you have to deal with the tubing around the sink spigot.

Here's a link to a company that sells a dual cartridge countertop housing and the KX cartridges:
Water Filters Dot Net

You have options for the first cartridge depending on your water supply for things like chlorine and other chemicals, including lead, and the degree of sediment filtration you need. I'm using the KX MATRIKX ® +5 02-250-125-975 - Carbon Block Water Filter (2 Micron Nominal) Reduces: Chlorine Taste & Odor; Chloroform; VOC Reduction; Coconut Shell Carbon The second cartridge is the KX MATRIKX ® CERAMIKX 20-250-190-975 - All Carbon Water Filter (0.2 Micron Nominal) for cysts.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: January 03, 2008 04:46AM

Thank you very much Uti, great info! So i take it you recommend the counter top units from that company. One Multipure model says its one of the few that can filter out Arsenic V. Can the KX Matrix also do that> Also do KX MAtrix filters fit in a Multipure "chassis" or enclosure?

Date: January 03, 2008 07:33AM

I don't know about arsenic removal with Matrikx's filters. Try checking their specs on their website or see if there is a tech support contact to ask.

No, the standard 10 inch Matrikx filter cartridges will not fit the multipure housings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables