Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

nuts!!!
Posted by: claire ()
Date: January 02, 2008 10:12PM

Hello all

I have been having really bad nut cravings and have just spent the evening eating cashews...now I feel totally bloated!

Anyone else have nut issues?

Any ideas what might be causing the cravings?

Thanks

Claire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: nuts!!!
Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: January 02, 2008 10:33PM

Hey there!

What's your usual diet been like recently? I am also a huge cashew lover and I find that when I feel like going overboard on them that I am definitely (a) not eating enough food period, and, (b) not eating enough carbs from fruit...

Also, what were you feeling emotionally when you had your nut attack? I find that when I'm in certain emotional states I get a craving for them as well - like comfort food...

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 02, 2008 10:41PM

I find I don't get along well without nuts or seeds. I don't have issues with nuts. I think they're just fine as long as they're eaten in moderation, and they help me stay raw. Better to eat a few nuts/seeds regularly than to try to abstain from them completely and then overeat them.

Some people have raging allergies from nuts. But that's not me.

Most cashews are not raw even though they're labeled raw.

I recently found out that the same is true of Brazil nuts. They're boiled to make them easier to shell. I just ordered Brazil nuts in the shell. Lots of good selenium! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2008 10:42PM by suncloud.

Date: January 02, 2008 10:41PM

Hi Soraya

Thanks for your reply!

Emotionally I felt OK, but you could be right that I didn't eat enough...I felt hungry still after dinner and I went to the gym for two hours this morning. Still struggling to get my food intake right after exercise. I guess I'll try more fruit.

Thanks

Claire

Date: January 02, 2008 10:43PM

Hi Suncloud

I had no idea that cashews and brazils aren't raw! Just went out today and bought both!

I eat nuts and seeds every day, but I have noticed a few times now that I can really pig out on them. Maybe, like Soraya suggested, that could be emotional or that I'm not eating enough

Claire

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: January 02, 2008 10:44PM

i heard almonds aren't raw even when they say they are...true?

how about walnuts, they are still in a shell, are they ok?

dc

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 03, 2008 12:41AM

Aloha all,

Since I still consider myself in transition although I don't eat any cooked food(maybe I'll always be in transition), I eat more nuts when i feel the need for that "full" feeling, although i eat less and less as I continue raw. I have never had the digestion/bloating/allergy issues like many others experience with raw, but i have been known to pig-out on them occasionally. Sometimes it calms me down a bit when my energy is off the charts. I'm sure that it will all even out as I continue on this journey.

There is a great article about the "rawness" of nuts in the articles section of this site...you can click this link and it will take you there.

good luck and Aloha nui loa, Greg

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 03, 2008 02:06AM

Try eating celery and drinking celery juice after eating nuts. The sodium in the celery will help you digest the nuts and will reduce bloating.

I have found raw cashews at Whole Foods, I soaked them and they started sprouting. My local food co-op has raw brazil nuts out of the shell.

My local natural foods store also sells raw almonds. Almonds from California are pasterized. My local store carries raw almonds grown in Spain.

Avoid all California almonds (Boycott!)

I make celery juice with my Omega 8003 juicer that I found at [store.therawdiet.com] , the Omega 8003 is the best juicer on Earth! I wasn't getting enough sodium in my diet and I don't really like chewing celery. Adding celery to my vegetable juice transformed my life!

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: January 03, 2008 08:50PM

A lot of rawbies overindulge in 'fatty' type foods. I have the same problem with nuts, I love them, will eat too many and then pay with bloating. So I try to buy only a handful at one time from the bulk section. This helps me iwth my overeating. Also, too as someone suggested, you might not be eating enough sweet fruits, like melons and mangos. Try pigging out on sweet fruits and see it that helps. Also, lately, I've been trying to eat more avocados, as I don't have the same reaction as I do with nuts and they are nice and fatty and filling.

Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: January 03, 2008 09:22PM

Hello, all,

Ok. Nuts!

I eat nuts when I've worked hard that day. I find that they relieve muscle soreness; being that my job is taxing (I'm a plumber), I eat nuts about every other day.

I don't feel "bloated".

I've read about others feeing "bloated", and I've often wondered if they've not confused being "bloated" with being full.

Thanks,

Arilraw

Posted by: uti ()
Date: January 04, 2008 05:27AM

Bryan10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My local natural foods store also sells raw
> almonds. Almonds from California are pasterized.
> My local store carries raw almonds grown in
> Spain.
>
> Avoid all California almonds (Boycott!)

It is possible to buy unpasteurized California almonds directly from growers.

Most small family owned almond growers sell their shelled raw almonds to bigger companies like the giant Blue Diamond Co. These companies pasteurize and distribute the nuts or make them into other cooked products.

In my opinion a boycott is ineffective since the vast majority of almonds are not eaten raw. I don't like the regulation requiring pasteurization, but there were loopholes written into it that can be exploited to the benefit of the raw consumers.

One enterprising raw foodist I know of took advantage of the loophole and bought and sold hundreds of pounds of almonds last fall right after the regulations went into effect. I'm confident that more will follow and the supply will be more consistent. So if you're a raw almond lover you will be able to get fresh raw nuts in the future.

Posted by: Arkay ()
Date: January 04, 2008 01:42PM

I find that not all nuts are equal, by far. I LOVE cashews, but they nearly always bloat me; they are not very digestible. I also don't believe that they are raw, from what I have read about how they are processed. I only eat them when the desire for them outweighs my common sense or tolerance for later discomfort. Ironically, quickly cooking them (as in Chinese stir-fried dishes) seems to make them much more digestible... but then they are definitely not raw! Walnuts and pecans seem to be the most digestible nuts, at least for me, and also have "better" profiles of essential fatty acids (Omegas). Walnuts are also good against some parasites, and according to traditional Chinese medicine, have other healing properties, too. Almonds are very good, too, but I find them slightly less digestible. Peanuts are not actually nuts at all, of course, and are sometimes problematic due to fungal growths on them. I limit peanuts and peanut butter to only occasional consumption (a couple times a year), even though I like the taste. Macadamia nuts are delicious and reasonably digestible. Sometimes I soak almonds and blend them into nut butter, with some walnuts and/or macadamia and/or other nuts added. It is easy to over-do the fat calories when smearing that stuff around, though. Following food combining/separation rules (never mixing them with starchy carbs, but only with complex carbs) helps a lot, though. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables