Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

olives
Posted by: TAMJOJOADAR ()
Date: January 02, 2008 11:42PM

are olives a raw food?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: olives
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 03, 2008 01:01AM

Opinion:

-Don't get hung up on the word 'raw'. Think 'fresh, unprocessed plant foods.' My experience is that olives, at a bare-minimum, must be sun-dried...like raisins. Usually they are at least salt/brine cured. More often, in commercial crops...lye or other chemicals are used to leach tannins from the otherwise bitter olives. As the case may be...YOU should eat whatever you determine will best help you to reach your goals regarding fresh, raw plant foods. You've got my 100% support in reaching YOUR goals.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: January 03, 2008 06:39PM

Only unpasteurized olives are considered raw. For me, I can only find them online or as part of the olive bar at WF.

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Posted by: uti ()
Date: January 04, 2008 04:31AM

You can buy a variety of raw olives online from David Wolfe's company. I've had the sundried Peruvian ones and they are good, but expensive.

Most commercial olives packed in jars have been pasteurized or heavily salt brined to preserve them, even sundried ones.

I don't eat as many now as when I first went raw, but if I do have a taste for them I look for ones at my co-op's olive bar that haven't been preserved with garlic or lots of spices. To deal with the salt I soak them in purified water to leach some of the salt out. Unfortunately they lose some of their flavor if you try to get all of the salt out.

They're not what I would consider an optimum food, considering the processing they go through to make them edible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2008 04:42AM by uti.

Posted by: TAMJOJOADAR ()
Date: January 05, 2008 12:21AM

Thanks so much on you input on Olives I am 100% Raw cold Turkey since the 1st of the year so 4 days I just want to make sure I stay there. I have no problem not eating or drinking My main concern is what is Concerdered Raw and what isn't. I want my health back. When i quick smoking 20 years ago after 3 packs a day I quit cold turkey. I am doing the same with food, i want the best. I am aiming for optimun health. I am 1/2 middle Eastern and we love our Olives oh well, not another thought about them. I love researching YOUTUBE is helpful for me and so is Gone Raw.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 05, 2008 01:14AM

Olives are debatable because you can't eat them right off a tree. Apparently they taste way too disgusting and are just not edible. Canned ones are "cured" with junk and "Raw" ones are at least cured in sea salt and "natural" things. Like sea salt instead of the bleached, cheap, fake salt.

www.naturalzing.com and www.rawguru.com have them if you want to check those out.

I love olives... the only problem I have with even the "raw" ones is that they're..addicting.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 05, 2008 06:18PM

I read that when olives drop from the tree and are left to ripen on the ground, they will taste very good and not bitter at all. I think too that you can find raw olives packed in olive oil..you might do a search for them.

If I had a local avail. source that I knew about I would add them into my raw diet, just like avocados..on occasion.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: January 06, 2008 11:02AM

I order the raw botilla olives and sun dried olives from the sites listed above. They are labeled raw.
Full of minerals and most alkaline fruit! It's the only salt I use and it is celtic raw salt from the companies listed above. I use the brine to salt my avocado, tomato, cuke salads.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables