Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Healthy Fruitarian.... without Tropical Fruit? smiling smiley
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: January 03, 2008 09:05PM

How essential are hot climate/tropical fruits (coconuts, papayas, pineapple, bananas, melons, oranges etc) to a balanced fruitarian diet?

Aside from the combo of raw foodism/veganism, the eco-friendly part of fruitarianism is a real draw for me. BUT if I'm eating imported fruit, that kind of defeats the purpose smiling smiley

Is it possible to thrive on fruits that are UK grown (i.e. most berries, apples, pears, plums, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers)?

Thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Healthy Fruitarian.... without Tropical Fruit? smiling smiley
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 03, 2008 10:28PM

It's not arbitrary. What I mean is: If you are living where YOU feel it is necessary for you to live - then there will be fruits available for you to thrive on. If there are not, either fruit is not YOUR optimal diet.....or you can always go to where you CAN fully express yourself. Such places DO exist! winking smiley The spectrum/availability of fresh fruits tends to get wider as you get closer to a sub-tropical/tropical environment - of course.

-Oh, P.S., you guys should have seen the orange groves this morning! A quick cold snap made the places look like the Fortress of Solitude! Ha! ha! Awesome.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: January 03, 2008 11:32PM

Thanks for your reply, David smiling smiley For a long time, I've had a calling to maybe live in a hot climate for a year or so to try it out! One day, hopefully! grinning smiley

I think the main thing I'd miss would be melons! I'm not sure how many little fruits I'd have to eat to make up the calories/nutrition in a single melon!

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: January 03, 2008 11:46PM

thanks for your post rawnoggin. i hope you can find plenty
of wonderful food around you to thrive on. it is not a popular
topic in many raw vegan lifestyles.

i began my quest last spring towards being a locavore and really
learned what grows closer with less transport feels so much
more vibrant that i think im eating considerably less than before.

i tried a banana and it just made no sense at all
to me.

Date: January 04, 2008 01:01PM

Locavore- love it! Never heard that saying before smiling smiley

How have you been finding it? It is cheaper/more or less convenient etc?

I agree about bananas. It's freezing cold today, and I had also had a banana (as part of breakfast). Something not right there! My primitive subconscious is probably thinking "eh? how'd that banana reach my tastebuds?" smiling smiley

With eating locally/ by the seasons, I wonder if there's any other benefits by eating the diet that suits the surroundings. i.e. if all summer one person was eating imported coconuts and pineapples (which I, uh, was!), and another person was eating locally grown blackcurrants, raspberries, strawberries etc, when the weather turns cold, does eating local produce have an effect on the body i.e. keeping it warmer as it's more natural alongside the climate etc. Just an idea, probably a daft one!

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: January 06, 2008 11:53AM

I find being a fruitarian in a warmer climate soo much easier and I feel much healthier. Plus it is possible for me to be a local fruitarian here!

I don't like tropical fruit at all. Everytime I buy some I end up throwing it out in favor of local oranges, blood oranges, tangerines, persimmons, avocadoes, pomegranites, apples, pears etc.
It seems to have a greater life force because it is fresher, too.

However, in New York, esp. in winter I found it impossible to feel good and healthy as a fruitarian. Plus all the fruit I bought there except apples was imported from either California or abroad.

The weather here is perfect IMO, not too hot like tropical, but warm enough to eat locally year round. So tropical is not really necessary to be a healthy fruitarian, but I think that you definitely need to live somewhere that you have access to fresh local fruit of some kind all year long.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: January 06, 2008 12:52PM

At the moment I am juicing a combo of local and non local fruits -- mainly as its just after xmas and my local organic stores are just opening and restocking

During the very autumn I found it easy eating local-- apples and pears..awesome.. im lucky enough to live near tonnes of farms and local producers, so its fresh, covered in soil and delicious.

Autumn I found easiest month raw, because of that local fresh crisp fruit. Summer also. I think its the end of winter into spring time that can be harder to stay local..

It isnt impossible and I think it feels a lot better-- than chomping on coconuts, mangos etc everyday. Local food feels better, but sometimes mixing up works too!

Wherabouts in UK? Rural areas raw-k..then again theres tonnes of foraging guys in central london ..so really is upto you..and how it makes YOU feel smiling smiley

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: January 08, 2008 05:16AM

i am a california girl,

i can not imagine my life without raw pineapples, they are my mainstay, and they completely agree with my system....and make me feel so nourished and awesome!

i have never even been anywhere tropical.

bananas just dont work for me, i tried to eat some last week and could not finish one, i ended up giving them away at work today.

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: January 08, 2008 06:48PM

Sounds like me. I just can't get myself to eat or like bananas. Everytime I try to make something with them in it I end of having to throw it away and I Hate wasting food! But my roommate always buys bunches and bunches of them and I don't wanna see them rot, but looks like I don't have a choice!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 08, 2008 09:26PM

bananas are yukky

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: January 09, 2008 01:00AM

You can thrive on the available fruits anywhere you are. Food is only part of the picture. But the tropics do make it easier in certain ways.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables