Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hi, I'm new... some help please smiling smiley
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 04, 2008 04:48PM

Hi all,

I'm not a raw foodist yet, but I'm in the process of starting soon. I've planned on being vegan for a while and I thought why not get all the benefits by going raw vegan. I'll have been vegetarian, however, for a year now, sometime over the course of this month (I can't remember the exact date in January, although it was a big change for me).

I wouldn't want to enter raw foodism without all the information, so I was wondering if anyone could please give me any tips, pointers and things to look out for (i.e. the things you wish you had known so you could have avoided it smiling smiley

Also I was wondering:
1) Are there any fruit or vegetables that you can't eat raw? I mean things that are toxic/indigestable in their raw state. I also remember reading that some people like to eat raw cauliflower - isn't it quite hard when it's raw?
2) Are there any fruits/vegtables that benefit from soaking overnight or is it only reserved for seeds and nuts (to get them to sprout)?
3) Can you soak any beans and legumes and eat them without sprouting?
4) Lastly, with chickpeas, can you soak them over night and then eat them or do you have to sprout them first?

Thank you guys for all the stories and resources available here. I know some of these questions seem simple, but I'm new to this and I want to make sure I get started the right way, with all the facts.

All the best for the new year, hopefully it will be a year of raw food, high energy and fulfilled goals for all!

Keep well,
Sparky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hi, I'm new... some help please smiling smiley
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 04, 2008 07:08PM

Hello! Welcome!

Tips: A) ALWAYS be PREPARED. Eat before you leave the house, and bring a raw food bag EVERYWHERE. cool smiley DON'T expect other folks to understand or accomodate you - especially close family, friends, or restaurants. C) Set VERY SMALL goals...with timetables...and feel successful.

1) Just green potatoes, rubarb leaves, nighshade plant green parts...etc. The basic answer to this question is no. Not the stuff you are going to get in a Walmart produce section anyway!

2) Benefitted? No...not really. Seeds and such benefit though.

3) You certainly CAN - according to YOUR taste and digestive comfortability.

4) You SHOULD soak them overnight. Then just sprout as long as you need to.....until they taste good to you. Rinse FREQUENTLY.

-Have fun!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: ksandberg2002 ()
Date: January 04, 2008 07:33PM

Hello and welcome Sparky! I'm a newbie too but you have definitely come to the right forum. Everyone here is so helpful, knowledgeable and understanding. Never be afraid to ask a question no matter how simple or silly it may seem. I researched raw-foodism for 2 years before I decided to commit and found that one particular book works awesome for me because it has a level for everyone. The book would benefit you too. "The Raw Food Detox Diet" by Natalia Rose. If you are also wanting to research other websites that contain helpful and accurate information click on the link below. I wish you well on your journey!!

[www.loverawlife.com]

Date: January 05, 2008 01:11PM

Hi again smiling smiley

Thanks so much David and ksandberg2002, this forum is such a wonderful and friendly environment! I really appreciate the help. I'm definately considering getting that book and thanks for the site you gave. How's the raw food lifestyle working out for you David and ksandberg2002?

Keep well,
Sparky

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 05, 2008 03:12PM

It's been many years now.....since before 2000....and I'm the healthiest...and happiest guy I know. I think the hidden ingredient is one of 'consciousness' or 'awareness' if you will. In being more PRESENT with your food. Setting YOUR highest goals/intents...and keeping them....in the form of VERY SMALL goals. It is this process that liberates true joy and grants health and abundance.......while food is just ONE avenue to express it.

-If YOUR goals NECESSITATE eating healthy.....it will no more require 'discipline' or 'resisting temptation' than it takes discipline to use a hammer to drive a nail. It's still work....but the hammer is just the right tool to get it done - you know?

-What do you think?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: January 06, 2008 09:24PM

I completely agree. It shouldn't ever have to be a strain to eat healthy if your goal is to be healthy. Being healthy means eating and living healthy, therefore it's only natural. If it's natural then it should come without much effort. The effort actually seems to come from realising this or from getting to a point where you realise it's not about restraint, but rather about knowing what you want. You need to start visualising the outcome before you start, at least that's how I'm doing it. I've got a visual goal in my mind. Did you have a visual goal to help you or was it just a natural progresstion towards raw foodism?

Thanks so much for your help and insight.
Sparky

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: January 06, 2008 09:50PM

Eating raw is amazingly simple. Eating healthy raw is more difficult due to all the misinformation that may be stuck in our heads since early days. But if you get into the thinking: What is the food, in fact the only sort of foods, that taste delicious as they are in nature without anything added?

Fruits and veggies!

Legumes are for birds and poisonous to humans if eaten raw. Does your mouth water when you think of raw kidney beans or chick peas? How about eating a whole can with them without anything else? They are very hard on the digestive system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2008 09:54PM by rrraw.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 06, 2008 09:52PM

hi SPARKY!! ( hands waving)

ahoy! welcome aboard smiling smiley

Date: January 09, 2008 10:18AM

Hey la_veronique (hands waving back smiling smiley

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Date: January 09, 2008 10:21AM

Hey rrraw, thanks for the advice, I agree that it's fairly simple, I'm just trying to untrain and inform myself.

Thanks guys,
Sparky

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 09, 2008 03:28PM

Hey Sparky. Welcome.

I eat sprouted chick peas. I make a minestrone type soup with them and it satisfies a comfort food need I have. It also helps me when I feel like I can't get full. They digest perfectly well for me.

I like your name. When I was a kid I had a wonderful horse named Sparky. We could put four kids on him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables