Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

research claims... "cooked vegetables may have more nutrition"
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 05, 2008 07:20AM

have you seen this recent article (about a week ago) about "new research from italy" showing that "Cooked vegetables may have more nutrition" ?

[tinyurl.com]

anybody has more information about this "research"? it's hard to tell from the article.. who funded this research? what was the agenda? how cherry-picked is the conclusion?

let's start talking! hugs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: research claims... "cooked vegetables may have more nutrition"
Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: January 05, 2008 01:40PM

I heard there are certain things in foods that are released by heat.
just like in the forest when a fire occurs many trees need that heat to release and open their cones/seeds.

mother nature is awesome.

Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: January 05, 2008 04:26PM

PubMed currently has an abstract up on this University of Parma study.

Since the Italian researchers seem to have been comparing apples to apples...or fresh broccoli to fresh brocolli, versus, say canned or frozen, I don't see any "follow the money" agenda here.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: January 05, 2008 04:41PM

Note they looked at starchy vegetables like zucchini, broccoli and carrots. The further you go away from fresh fruits and tender leaves (ie a presumably natural evolutionary diet), the more cooking may conceivably increase the availability of nutrients in the "food". Think legumes like lentils for example.

Cheers,
J

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: January 05, 2008 04:59PM

Cooking a food boils off the water and leaves it more concentrated, so the food may show more nutrients per 100g. I wonder if they took that into account?

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 05, 2008 06:14PM

They can say what they want, I have my own proof of what is healthiest for my body and it's not cooked anything..even if one or 50 items were found that are healthier in some ways to raw..I wouldn't care about those items then.

I know what a raw plant based diet has done for me these 5+ years. If I died tomorrow of some diet related disease..I don't care..because living these 5 years in better health than I've been in since my 30's (I'm 55) has been a rich reward for trying and sticking with (I have my ups and downs with raw..I am not perfect by any means) raw foods!

If anyone feels cooked anything helps them to transition to better health and sticking with more raw foods, please do so! I certainly did and currently do at times.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: January 06, 2008 02:49AM

I wonder if they take into account the denaturing of the nutrient.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 06, 2008 03:29AM

I agree with Jose. There are foods that are not edible in their raw state, yet cooking makes them safe for us to eat. So these foods, say like soy or rice, are more nutritious to us than their raw counterpart. And as Jose noted, if you take the foods we were meant to eat, cooking does not make them more nutritious, and it introduces toxins into the food.

So more nutritious does not mean better for us. It doesn't matter that cooking rhubarb makes it edible for humans. Or that by cooking soy, we can get nutrition from it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables