Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

more raw on tv
Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: January 08, 2008 03:45PM

On channel 4 UK this friday - First Cut documentary on Health addicts - talks about the raw food diet.

Doesn't look like it will be a positive message from reading blurbs, but who knows?

The Big Food Fight
FIRST CUT: HEALTH FOOD JUNKIES
11 January 2008, 7.30pm, C4

Something strange is happening to our food: it’s no longer simply something we eat, but an idol we’re encouraged to worship. We’re told that blueberries and broccoli will prolong our lives, and super foods will save our souls. First Cut: Health Food Junkies meets some devoted health food worshippers: a growing community of men and women who believe theirs is the healthiest diet on the planet.

They are called ‘Raw Foodists’ and they don’t eat wheat, dairy, sugar, meat or fish, and most importantly, everything they do eat is completely raw, because they believe heating anything above 45 degrees Celsius destroys the food’s essential enzymes and nutrients.

Some also adhere to a strict daily regime of urine-drinking and enemas. It’s probably the most extreme diet in Britain, and it claims to make you healthier, happier and that it might even stop you getting old.

New director Rowan Deacon’s film offers a timely morality tale to a nation becoming increasingly Californian in its neurotic attitude towards its food and its health. Just when does a fixation with healthy eating turn into an unhealthy habit?

[www.channel4.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: more raw on tv
Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: January 08, 2008 05:17PM

Azura Skye
Thanks for posting the info. Im interested to find out whats actually discussed.
I agree that it may not be a positive message, but like you im keeping an open mind.

Lowerie Turner recently tried a short spell on RV food. She did it in order to write about it for the daily mail.
Unsurprisingly, she is choosing not to continue with the diet now that the trial period is over.
I think she ate mainly gourmet and didnt enjoy the food or the time spent preparing it.
Although she said that she didnt enjoy it, she did have some positive things to say about weight loss, energy levels and clearer skin.
Im really pleased as Lowerie tends to have a negative slant to her reporting, so on the whole she must have been feeling quite positive after her spell on raw!

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: January 08, 2008 08:42PM

Funny about the so-called Californian attitude!
I had great expectations when moving to SoCal but I had to see that even tho there is a greater availability of alternative foods and so on, the majority eats way worse and much more than most Europeans. I had reverse culture shock when visiting my homecountry the past 3 weeks because all the portions seemed to be for kids, cups and glasses were so small...but concluded that yeah this is a good thing!

As far as journalism goes...well they have to make their stories somehow. And they will not show or write something that basically hurts the feeling of the majority by telling them in order to feel drastic change, you need to take drastic measures.

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: January 09, 2008 02:06PM

I read that Lowri T article and I commented on it - wonder if they posted it?

Anyhow - I thought she was sooo negative. Well really, she was just plain miserable and didn't really want to believe that what she was eating had any benefits.
Also I think in her defence the food was too gourmet, like you said. It would have been easier for her to just shovel loads of lovely oranges into her gob which are tasty and easy - and also would occupy her hands and mouth so she wouldn't be able to type any rubbish.

I guess eating raw food has to come from a background of wanting to do somethign positive for your health - Lowri, clearly just wanted to eat whatever she wanted and get away with it. Just a shame she couldn't have used nicer language instead of discouragin EVERYBODY from trying raw.
She could have said "personally I didn't enjoy this, but the health benefits are there for anyone who wants to try"

--------------------------------------------------

[www.azurastorch.blogspot.com]

Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 09, 2008 04:21PM

I noticed that Lowri's brief raw diet was not only very gourmet, but the only fruit she mentions eating the entire week was avocado - which she clearly doesn't like much. I wonder if she just didn't find other fruit worth mentioning.

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: January 09, 2008 10:27PM

I saw Lowri on Tv this morning. She has decided to opt for botox. She said that she needs to keep her wrinkles at bay because otherwise it will shorten her tv career! Well.............

I agree Azure, eating raw does need to come from a place of wishing to do something positive for your health and wellbeing. Ms Turner obviously wasnt coming from that place.
It tends to be quick fix stuff that grabs her attention.
I find it difficult to beleive that Lt's ramblings would be taken seriously enough to discourage anyone from trying raw!

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: January 11, 2008 01:33PM

Raw food coach/chef Karen Knowler is on Market Kitchen today (uktv food+1 channel on sky) at 1.30pm. The program's just started! smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 30, 2008 08:57PM

Hello all. I am an undergraduate writing my dissertation on eating Raw. And, like Lowri I will be taking the raw food diet. I would like to say right now that I have no slant, positive or negative on the lifestyle. I am looking out how this lifestyle choice affects use of public space (restaurants) and how it will make me feel. I personally think, like vegetarianism seemed far fetched years back and became socially acceptable, so will raw foodism. If any one would like to get in touch with me about there thoughts on this please e-mail me on pxc668@bham.ac.uk

I will be looking for people to conduct interviews with, phone, web or in person.
And also I would like some help in how to start this lifestyle. I am very excited about this opportunity to publicize this lifestyle and hope that the more work done on this the more 'socially acceptable' this will become. One day there may even be raw foods available in all restaurants.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 31, 2008 11:34AM

phillip C says:

<<I have no slant, positive or negative on the lifestyle>>

when it comes to health, having a slant is not necessarily a bad thing

i admire passionate people

it is difficult enough to work for change
without passion, it becomes a near impossibility

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 31, 2008 01:31PM

I cannot be passionate about learning about the lifestyle change without a doubt. I know too little right now to feel passionate for the change. I am excited about the possibilities.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 31, 2008 01:58PM

You also have to think about who owns the papers, is financing the broadcasts, etc. Are vested interests at threat? <rhetorical>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables