Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Absolutely sick of greens angry smiley
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 09, 2008 12:38AM

I am well aware of the nutritional value of eating raw greens, which is why I'm hoping to spark some good discussion here (I've lurked at this board for a while and have absorbed a lot of great ideas, information... and nutrition <3).

I am totally sick of greens!!! Bleugh!!!

I was @ 50% raw when I started having a green craze, probably related to an increased acidity when I got sucked into a cocktail of antibiotics for wisdom tooth troubles that ended up destroying my body (was sick for over 2 months, on a cycle of drug A cured problem A, but created problem B; took drug B for problem B, but wound up with problem C; somewhere around problem XYZ I threw it all to the wind, went 100% raw and got 200% better).

During these 2-3 months, I ate greens like a cow. 2 heads of romaine lettuce a day, with the same amounts of kale, spinach, whatever--I made giant bowls of salad and devoured them. I continued this during my transition to 100% raw...

...and after about 2 weeks of being totally raw, I couldn't stand the thought of greens anymore. I couldn't bring kale... or any dark green for that matter to my lips right now. Romaine is the only one that doesn't bother me, presently (I think because it's more watery?).

I tried making green smoothies, something I used to LOVE at 50% raw, and since I really didn't want to part with greens in my diet. I kept the smoothies simple, like baby spinach + strawberry + banana, but blending greens with ANYTHING else now makes my stomach very unhappy. (I'm repelled mentally by salads, quite physically with the smoothies.)

Since I'm new to being completely raw (5 weeks now), I've had my nose in literature constantly, and I know there are a lot of HUGE advocates of green smoothies (Tonya Zavasta comes to mind). I've also read threads here about people eating pounds of greens at a time, and it makes me wonder, am I going to incur any damage or deficiencies this way? Pro-greens people are intensely pro-greens, and I'm slightly intimidated. tongue sticking out smiley

I eat an *incredibly* varied diet of primarily fresh fruits. I try to adhere to rules of natural hygiene when I can (no oils, spices, salts, vinegar, these do make me feel ill the times I have cheated, and combination rules are just guidelines at this point). I also love sprouts--again, for the moisture--and will shovel down the seaweed. Not every day, but when Seaweed Days happen, let's just say, the employees at certain Japanese restaurants know me very well. ^.^ (Raw wakame FTW).

Is there anything I'm REALLY missing from the greens that I can't get with sprouts, fruits, nuts, and seaweed? I know, for example, I'd be out of luck for B-12 if I quit the seaweed. I'm sure I'll eat greens again someday, but my stomach turns on caps lock and says, "NOT RIGHT NOW! .\/." if I ask. So far, my energy levels have only been improving on the raw...

Thoughts, please? =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Absolutely sick of greens angry smiley
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: January 09, 2008 12:53AM

Simply don't eat them. Give it time and see if the desire comes back. No need to force it. You can go an extended period of time without them and you will know if the need for them arises.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 09, 2008 01:07AM

I agree with Tanawana. If you are sick of greens, stop eating them until the desire for them comes back...if indeed it does. Instinctive eaters would probably say that your body has had enough of what greens offer for the moment and now it's time to focus on what really appeals to you. I could be wrong, but I think most of us go through stages where we eat a lot of certain foods and then back off a bit. I personally just went through a cauliflower period where I was making mashed cauliflower taters every other day... currently I have no taste for them at all and now i find myself in an "anything as long as it's loaded with cilantro" kick. It seems like you are beginning to develop a good communication with your body...go with it. In the future, if you need the nutrients that greens
provide, you will probably find them appealing again.

Just my opinion.... good luck,

Greg

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 09, 2008 02:09AM

I've done the same thing. My biggest kick was figs. I was eating between 20 and 40 a day for a month or more. Then I didn't want them any more. Now I like them in regular amounts. I think you will want them again when your body is ready.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 09, 2008 02:41AM

It may be that you are sick of bitter greens. I don't like them either, hiding their taste by blending them with sweet fruit won't work for me. I do not mind tender greens, but I eat them only if they tempt me, which does not happen every day. So, rather than eating what others say I should eat, I eat what I love! smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: January 09, 2008 03:19AM

WOW, I love the greens!! Ive been hoarding greens now for some time about a lb to 2 lbs each evening for dinner, spinach,kale,baby greens romaine, cant get enough.
I could never eat greens like this before when I was on the SAD diet without dumping a mass of thousand island salad dressing or ranch on them but now I eat them plain and a ton of them. Fruit all day and greens for dinner daily. Each person must be different I suppose.
Rob

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 09, 2008 05:32AM

i think your thread topic pretty much answered your own question

if something repulses you that much
how could it possibly benefit you since you are consuming it with the idea that you really don't want it

let them go

you'll know when

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 09, 2008 05:54AM

Yes. I agree with all of the above including Rob who says, "Each person must be different I suppose."

No way can I eat greens everyday; but I eat plenty of fruit, and when I do eat greens, I usually enjoy them a lot.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 10, 2008 06:15AM

phantom,

Listen to your body. It will let you know when it wants greens again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables