Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

please help with best water/water filter!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 09, 2008 11:31PM

i am attempting to minimize the many gallon jugs my water comes in and reduce the amount of toxins i'm injesting that comes from the plastic. can one of you lovely people please steer me toward a brand of water that doesn't use really contaminated containers or a filtering system in which i can pour in water from my faucet and have it in my fridge? someone suggested to me the pur 2 stage water dispenser, but they weren't raw, so i'm doing my research.

thanx!!!!!

p.s. i looked at the aquasana site and they only sell the faucet attached filters. i can't do that right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: please help with best water/water filter!
Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: January 10, 2008 02:16AM

Just make sure it also filters the fluoride (which many water filters do not)!

Date: January 10, 2008 05:39AM

thanx for your reply, avocadess...you're right - it doesn't filter flouride...it's proven a bit difficult for me to find one that does. hoping i can get a recommendation.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: January 10, 2008 06:20AM

raw.diva,

The type of filter you describe where you pour the water through and store it in the fridge will not work according to what I've researched for flourine. Pur brand states clearly in their literature that their so-called 2 stage filter does not remove fluorine.

Fluorine is a tough chemical to remove from water. It is the most reactive chemical element. Boiling water will cause chlorine to gas out of the water, but fluorine stays and gets concentrated. Carbon type filters will not remove fluorine.

Reverse osmosis filters will work, but they are more expensive and use more water than they produce. The wasted water flushes the chemicals and biologicals away down the drain. Activated alumina filters remove fluorine, but you need a second filter to remove any alumina that escapes the first filter; these filters cost in the range of $175 to $225. Some of them sit on the countertop and are attached to the sink faucet. They're easy to install for the inexperienced once you have the correct adapter to match your faucet threads.

Date: January 10, 2008 06:53AM

thanks, uti...well, what do YOU do for water? i guess i'd be willing to bribe someone to hook up a filter for me...

Date: January 10, 2008 08:33AM

I live in a sparsely populated rural area. My water comes from a stream on the neighboring timberland, so the main concern is biological contamination. I posted about my filtration system recently. To read that post click HERE.
Here's a link to one resource for Fluorine Filters for $170. They also have an inexpensive portable reverse osmosis filter for under $200, which is much less than permanently installed systems I am familiar with. I haven't personally done business with them, but this seems to be the least expensive solution to your need.

Posted by: dinesh75 ()
Date: January 10, 2008 02:42PM

Hey guys,

Is there any filter that would filter out all the chemicals but leave the biological parasites in the water? I am looking for such a filter.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: January 10, 2008 05:38PM

I have a multi-pure filter [www.multipureco.com] and a luv distiller with glass container [www.webeatprices.com].

So, I filter out the worst of it first and then distill it to get rid of the rest like flourine.

Karen DeVeaux
www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com

Date: January 10, 2008 06:44PM

dinesh75 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys,
>
> Is there any filter that would filter out all the
> chemicals but leave the biological parasites in
> the water? I am looking for such a filter.

You might consider a comprehensive water test to see exactly what chemicals are present in your supply. Look in the yellow pages for water testing laboratories. If you are on a muncipal water system call your supplier and ask for a copy of their latest test. I'm not positive, but I think by law they are required to make these analysis tests public. My supplier in another town used to send us a copy every year and it was very comprehensive.

Once you know what chemicals you're targeting you can select the right filter for the job. Generally carbon filters grab most chemicals, but not all as in the case of fluorine atoms. Generally most microbes will pass through a filter with pores larger than 1 to 2 microns. Filters have a rating of the smallest particles they will capture expressed in microns. 1 micron equals one thousandth of a millimeter or .000039 of an inch.

I'm curious why you would want to leave in the parasites.

Posted by: dinesh75 ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:45PM

Those are good suggestions uti. Let me see if I can find out the reports.

I want to be exposed to germs so that I can keep my immune system active. I am not talking about the deadly ones, just the ones that are annoying and let the body know that there are different microbes around.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: January 13, 2008 05:56AM

My naturopath only reccomends Fiji or Evian water.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: January 13, 2008 07:19AM

Uti, as always, great info. Thank you.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: January 13, 2008 05:41PM

I live just a block away from where I can get water filtered by reverse osmosis for 25 cents a gallon (R.O. water being some of the most fluoride-free available), but when I can I will also purchase a Berkey water filter plus the PF2 filter one must add to it in order to be able to filter out 95% of the fluoride. I really like the Berkey water filter design, although it comes only in plastic or stainless steel, because for one thing it requires NO electricity to function (as they use gravity instead). I think $50 for the PF2 filter lasts for 1000 gallons of water filtration. They have "Berkey Lites" which are a few dollars more and have nice emergency LED lights (in blue or white). I'll get one with the light if I can afford it at the time but anyhow, other than reverse osmosis my personal choice is the Berkey water filter. Here's a link to one place where you can buy them:

[www.berkeywater.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2008 05:47PM by Avocadess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables