Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

gassy
Posted by: Haida ()
Date: January 10, 2008 06:21PM

Hello

Has anyone experienced any gas problems on raw food. I had thought it was because I was eating cooked foods at times; but it seems to occur even on a close to 100% raw.
I believe I am of vatta/pitta constitution if that helps. I thought it possibly be too much fruit or fruit as the wrong hour, or not enough liquids. Sometimes I drink too much water and feel spacey. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gassy
Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: January 10, 2008 06:47PM

We developed an intolerance to all the fiber of an 100 % raw food diet. That was only after years, obviously we had been overdoing on the greens. I think it would be wise to cut down on fiber, and then increase the amount gradually, so your system gets time to adjust to this new way of eating.

We also get a lot of gas after dried apricots. Soaking dried fruits and nuts and seeds could be a good idea.

Then the other thing is food combining. There are certain combinations of foods which can be the cause of your problem. Like starch plus protein, fruits after meals, drinking after meals, etc.

Hope this helps. Take care!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:25PM

Sure. It did quite a bit during my transition months/years. This was mostly from poor food combining...and still eating many cooked foods. With no more medications or tons of crap to clog the system.....my internal flora had a field day! Ha! ha! Still...that went away as I ate simpler. By the time I was eating mono-meals...that particular symptomology practically disappeared. Just my experiences.

-Suggestion: in general, one should eat fast digesting foods like fruits first....and slower digesting vegetables....later....with nuts or heavy items last.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: January 10, 2008 09:11PM

Tonya Zavasta and Matt Monarch both believe that switching to a raw food diet will cause gas. They have different theories as to why.

I think digestive enzymes can help.

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Posted by: bostonhill ()
Date: January 11, 2008 10:43PM

Don't combine sugars and fats. Worked for me! If you must have both, have fruit first, then wait, then protein, then fat. Give it a try, you'll know right away.
Who knows, it might work for you too!

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: January 12, 2008 11:33AM

Dear Gassy ...I mean Haida...okay, not trying to make fun I "feel" your pain or rather I have felt your pain - so to speak. :-)

I found through my own experimentation trying to remedy the same problem that I do not do very well with a lot of fruit and as David eluded to, I do much better with mono fruit eating - like just bananas or apples - if I am going to eat fruit. Citrus fruits are disastrous for me.

As mentioned by others above, try to abide by the food combining rules. If you are not familiar with them, below (hopefully) is a link to a response to a post I wrote to someone else. I hope this helps.

Unfortunately, we often try to force our bodies into 'stuff' it is not ready for too soon and then get upset when the body retaliates. Try easing back to a point where your body feels comfortable and slowly adjust.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Good luck.

Patty

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: January 13, 2008 03:56AM

I had gas initially on 100% raw even though I was eating entirely mono. I tried virtually EVERYTHING (including probiotics). Finally I read that too many potassium foods without enough sodium foods could cause gas. I added high sodium foods and the problem has been virtually non-existent since . . . Just another factor to consider . . .

-Ryan
radicalvitality.com

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: January 13, 2008 04:31PM

Ditto on the food combining suggestions. Apples also give me horrid smelly gas, even if I eat them alone.

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 13, 2008 06:18PM

It all has to do with the health of your digestive system. All above posted advice is excellent.

Get some or many books on digestive system, read and be knowledgeable about what your insides do, how they work, and how to do simple things, like massage your tummy , cleanse your internal organs, eating a raw plant based diet, fiber, how much and what kinds, and much else.

Any dairy including eggs, processed sugars, starches, etc..are going to create an environment for the kinds of bacteria you may not want, slow down and clog up your digestive system, and create gas by fermentation and blockages, slow transit times, etc.

Create the ideal digestive environment as best as you can for this time and get informed..it's interesting and illuminating. A great little book to start with is called Unwinding the Belly there's even a link to it and you can find it at amazone.com or maybe how I got it, thru your local library. I have it on my to buy book list.

[www.unwindingthebelly.com]

Love,
Prism

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: January 13, 2008 06:26PM

amazone.com

the french amazon.com, who knew?

still learning something new everyday.
thanks prism

Posted by: blue_butterfly ()
Date: January 13, 2008 08:21PM

Ryan--could you give some examples of high sodium raw food? I just want to see what has helped you in this regard :-) Thanks.

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: January 13, 2008 08:44PM

Seaweeds like kelp, wakame, and hijiki are very high sodium; celery and greens, like kale, dandelion, spinach and watercress are medium; and carrot, beet and coconut water are mild . . .

-Ryan
radicalvitality.com

Posted by: corizza ()
Date: January 13, 2008 09:14PM

I get incredibly gassy when I eat sprouted grains and legumes. Nuts will do it to. I've found a simple diet of fruit and salads makes my digetive system happiest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables