Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Muscle spasms, inflammation... detox?
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: January 11, 2008 12:45AM

For about 3 weeks I have been dealing with quite severe neck pain, shoulder pain, muscle spasms. My muscles are very inflamed and swollen, at times I could barely move my head. I also had a cold at the time of the onset of this, not sure if this could be related.

I started on a 75%-80 raw path mid October.

Could this be a detox symptom, even though it has been quite a while? Has anyone else experienced muscle spasms as you were changing their diet?

At the time of going raw I also stopped taking my fishoil supplements and my Calcium. It was a very radical changeover from a mostly meat/egg/dairy based low carb faire to a mostly fruit and greens situation.

My bodyworker suggested that I may lack lubricating fats, not because of what I eat now, but because i stopped the omega supplements.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Nibs

----------------------------------------------------------
'It's hard to get fat on a vegan diet.'
Manny, the Moody Mammoth, from the Movie 'Ice Age'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Muscle spasms, inflammation... detox?
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: January 11, 2008 04:17PM

I got similar symptoms after being high raw high fruit after a few months. The pain was chronic for 3 months and I couldn't lift my arm higher than chest height, it was bad - but I never considered going back to cooked food. Eventually it got better, several months actually of physio, massage and accupuncture and an osteopath.

When it finally started to heal it went pretty fast. I don't think the physio etc did much good, nothing helped. At the time I thought it was an injury gone bad? but looking back now after all I've read I am pretty sure it was detox. A year later I'm a new person physically.

I would get as much rest as you possibly can manage and avoid taking painkillers if you can, I found they depressed me and took away my raw glow immediately.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2008 04:27PM by Dulset.

Date: January 11, 2008 06:29PM

THank you much for the info. Do you happen to remember where you were reading about that? Were you 100% raw at the time?

THanks again
Nibs

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: January 11, 2008 08:09PM

I was not 100% raw every single day but pretty high eating fruit all day and the green smoothies. I occasionally succumbed to a baguette when I saw one in the kitchen, or cooked meals, including fish, by a well meaning friend. I can't say where excactly but I've read many times that aches and pains can be part of your detox symptoms and that pain in the shoulders means the liver is cleansing.

The pain also felt like it was going to start in the other (right) shoulder but it never happened, just got better eventually. The initial diagnosois was tendonitis but it just didn't make sense. The neck was involved too, it was awful and I sympathize with you. It was called frozen shoulder.

Deep tissue massage loosened it up but it hurt like hell and didn't feel right. Gentle shiatsu massage was the most helpful but I do recall thinking at the time what I really needed was a few months in Hawaii sleeping in the dappled shade of palm trees on a quiet beach, yeah, in my dreams lol!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2008 08:11PM by Dulset.

Date: January 11, 2008 11:57PM

I am SOOOO with you on that Hawaii thing, Dulset smiling smiley

Thanks for the info and teh sympathy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables