Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you make raw rice soft?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 18, 2008 09:12PM

Hi All,

When I make raw wild rice, it comes out soft, but when I use regular rice it comes out hard. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get good results with regular rice?

Thanks.

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you make raw rice soft?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 18, 2008 11:15PM

I never had ANY luck getting ANY rice to sprout into a little plant. At best...I ended up with a moldy soak. Hopefully some one else has some positive experiences to share! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 19, 2008 01:25AM

Hi Paul,

Are you trying to sprout the rice to make it "raw"? I've never tried sprouting regular rice, but if you're referring to white rice, i think that it's been processed to the point that it is no longer a whole food and therefore, will not sprout. The only rice i have ever sprouted was "Forbidden rice" which looks black, but after soaking the water turns a deep indigo. It looks pretty cool once it sprouts... little white tails emerging from an indigo shell. It's pretty tasty too, but I've recently lost my taste for grains, so i haven't sprouted any for a while.

Uti had a great idea for a rice substitute made with cauliflower and soaked chia seeds and I've also made faux sushi rice with Jicama that has been dehydrated until it turns sticky.

good luck and aloha, Greg

Date: January 19, 2008 06:01AM

rice is difficult to sprout and very, Very stinky while you do it. there are many other grains that are easier to sprout and easier to digest as well. quinoa and millet sprout well, amranth is awesome, it's super teeny weeny and cute. kamut is nice sprouted too, very firm and chewy with a nutty flavour.

as for wild rice, it behaves differently than white or brown rice because it isn't really "rice".

[www.wildriceonline.com]
Wild rice is a cereal grain. It’s one of the most nutritious whole grains available. Wild rice is an aquatic grass seed in the cereal grain family. Its properties are much like oats and wheat. It is high in protein and low in fat.

most wild rice isn't even raw. it's been steamed during processing. for the whole story contact the company that your wild rice comes from and ask them.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 19, 2008 09:08AM

typical white rice wont sprout as its been seperated from its many components (chaff, bran, etc) from what i understand .. when i was in india ..several pounds of *seed* rice was put aside for future planting an the rest was whinnowed and chaffed to remove the bran an chaff for resale

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: ErikSkulasonUSA ()
Date: January 19, 2008 09:23PM

I don't eat much rice (and I avoid the white kind - for the above mentioned reasons), but when I do, I blend it with couple of the following ingredients: flax seeds, almonds, hemp seeds, nuts, etc + some water and I make a thick nutritious paste.

This is one of the few circumstances when I mix things in blender and the main reason to blend them is that very little of those ingredients will be digested if I don't process them this way.

Pls. excuse my English - foreigner.

=============================================================
Medicine, Food Industry and Commerce are businesses.
Is their goal to make/keep me healthy or to make more profit?
=============================================================

Posted by: RawsomeButterfly ()
Date: January 20, 2008 12:55AM

The best and fastest way to prepare wild rice is to soak it for a day or two, then put it in the dehydrator for two or three hours. That really decreases the soaking time and makes the rice much softer.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 20, 2008 09:41PM

erik skulason

u have good english

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: January 20, 2008 10:13PM

I have good luck sprouting red rice; it turns out chewy (like sunflower seeds), but not hard. But others I know have found that their red rice won't sprout, or it is hard when they sprout it, so maybe it's the specific variety I have here in Vancouver.

Date: January 23, 2008 05:04PM

Thanks for all the feedback!

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: January 24, 2008 02:32PM

why do you need it soft? Use those teeth & jaws of yours and savor the flavor when you take your time to eat.

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 24, 2008 03:46PM

I'm thinking about adding some Organic Wild Rice to my Green Smoothies. Just by soaking it first for 12 hours, or so, without sprouting it or cooking it (of course).
Could anyone give me the Pros and/or Cons of doing this? I think it might be very nutritious......WY

[www.homegrownharvest.com]

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: January 27, 2008 11:43PM

I've had great results sprouting most brown rices but I don't really find the flavor enjoyable. They have never been stinky or molded ... Just not very palatable to me. Wild rice is quite tastey soaked. I sprout quinoa on a relatively regular basis and use it to make tabhouli.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables